Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

JKA P47N Maiden Flight (not so good)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

JKA P47N Maiden Flight (not so good)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 09:02 PM
David010567
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKA P47N Maiden Flight (not so good)

Hi guys,

Today I maidened my JKA P47N with a 25FX/APC 10-3 at 53oz AUW. I have to say it did not go so well. We had a 10-15 mph wind and no one else would fly at the field this morning. I fired up the new 25FX broke it in and she was running like a champ. Control surfaces are 1/2 up and down on the elevator and 3/8 on the Aileron. My buddy gave me a great stiff hand launch and I new it would tork to the left and quickly recovered but the plane still kept turning left bad even with the wings level. I fought it up down left and right wallowing until it cart wheeled in 3 times after about a 180 wide turn. TUFF Little Sucker!!! we dusted it off fired it back up. This time I took the 1/4 up trim out and I gave myself about 1/4 right aileron. Still torked wicked, I quickly recovered but still uncontrolable left turn, until I just shut her down and flopped it in. No dammage, just broken prop and ego. We checked the wings they are dead straight. The balance is dead on 3-1/2" from the leading edge at the root.

The only think... is the instructions never said anything about right thrust. Could it need 2 degees right and maybe 1 degree down like most warbirds.

I know a lot of people fly these and say they are great flyers.... Need Help Please!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: JKA P47N Maiden Flight (not so good)

I never had any in mine, but feel free to add some. Might be noted I used a norvel with a 9x4 on my Jug and it didn't have nearly as much torque problems as my Mustangs or Zeros did, they were pretty impressive. You should toss the plane with a slightly dipped right wing and a little above the horizon. The torque should bring the wings level and you should accelerate before pulling up on it any. Once you get hooked up on your prop the thing is unstoppable. My Stangs would yaw left a good 15 degrees on a flat launch. If you fly a scalish warbird you'll realize that the tails are much smaller than our sport planes and right rudder on takeoff is a must. My World Air P-51 really taught me the need for the rudder on takeoff so I was aware of it on launching of my 1/12th scale birds. But man, it's like letting to of a Ratt Racer in CL. The acceleration and the curving off to the left.

You CAN put in some right thrust, just stick some washers under the mount. You can put some downthrust the same way at the same time. Mine were 0-0 though and once flying I had no problems. The bigger prop though will give you more torque.

Demon? You use the OS and the 10x3 or 4. Give a brother a leg up.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Demon

Never had any problems like that while running an OS.25FX on a MA 10x4 prop at a 0-0 thrustline in my JKA Jugs. Check everything again, and carefully look the alignment of the fin/rudder, horizontal stab and ailerons. I'd bet money something is out of whack.

Also, check your ailerons at neutral - they should follow the line of the BOTTOM of the airfoil.

D
Old 04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Montague

I also flew the JKA P-47N for a season, and while I'd get a bit of a left turn on launch once in a while, it wasn't bad, and it wasn't anything like described. I also used a MAS 9x4 on an OS .25FX with mousse can.

On some of them, I also put a small bit of music wire in through the flutes at a slight down angle from the rear. I could then bend this a little to give some right-rudder trim, and that often helped the plane track a bit better on launch, and didn't seem to alter the rest of the performance much. I didn't have to do this with all of them though.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:45 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a JK t-52 trainer with a norvel .049 on it TUFF Bird,,so many crashes..the wings must have had 45 degrees of dehidral by the end...anyone could have flown that thing..but I also got the mustang pocket rocket and had 3 people try to fly it with horrible results,,that tuff bird went in the trash,,thought about getting a corsair from them but never have...Rog
Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 PM
David010567
My Feedback: (2)

1 dose of putting the ailerons level with the bottom of the wing + 1 big dose of nose weight = SUCCESS!! After 3 more crashes and 2 more broken props I got this baby honking! Man it really rips when everything is dialed in. I can't wait till next weeks combat event at our local club.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Demon

That's great! Enjoy your Jug!

D