Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Pica 1/12 FW 190 questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Pica 1/12 FW 190 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 PM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pica 1/12 FW 190 questions

just about done, But just a few questions left.

1) Engine mount: Plans say use long mount? I was going to use a dave brown 2025 mount for my O.S. .25FX

2) Fuel Tank: 6 oz seems big my other .25 fx combat planes use 4oz.

I am thinking that I have exceded recomended engine size so I should save weight on the gas and try to keep the engine closer to the firewall. Is my train of though correct?

Love to hear any input.

Thanks
Jason
Old 01-13-2007, 03:41 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pica 1/12 FW 190 questions

The tank is too big.....go with the 4oz....you won't need much fuel for 5 minutes.

Post a picture when you're finished.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:59 AM
iflyg450

That's what I thought. I can't imagine flying something that small and fast for more than 5min. Will post pics covering with flat dove grey
Old 01-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Demon

ORIGINAL: iflyg450
I am thinking that I have exceded recomended engine size so I should...try to keep the engine closer to the firewall. Is my train of though correct?
No, that is not entirely correct. Go with the 4oz. tank, but push that engine forward. Even with the .25FX, you'll probably need the weight out front as far as possible to help get the CG set.

My advice would be to use an engine mount that gets the engine far enough forward so that the backplate of the spinner is at least beyond the front edge of the cowl. Get all the gear in it and check the CG with the engine temporarily in place. Then you can move the engine around to where its weight will do the most good.

HTH,
D
Old 01-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

That's what I thought. I can't imagine flying something that small and fast for more than 5min. Will post pics covering with flat dove grey

That's what you think on test flights, on sport flights and any other time that there isn't streamer on behind the tail. In combat though, it's not a matter of keeping track of your airplane that has you worried and the 5 minutes can be gone in a flash making you wish for just a few seconds more. They can also be the longest 5 minutes of your life, not as painful as having a cavity drilled without the anesthesia, but every bit as agitating.

I was flying Norvel powered Mustangs one fine April morning, scraping the ground on the bottomsides of max pull loops trying to get on my intended targets and not thinking a thing about how fast I was going other than to slow down a bit so as not to over-run my victim. Then after a 4 month layoff, due to a layoff, I went back out and flew the machine and couldn't believe how fast it was going. I couldn't get it lower than 40 feet WOT it was so fast. The problem of course was the lack of streamer and lack of intent. Put a streamer on them and you become a hunter not a test pilot.

If your engines do not require the 6 ounces, use the 4. If they are getting a little sloppy and won't make the 5 minute round with the 60 second scramble, put the 6 in and only put 5 ounces of fuel in. But use the long mount like Demon says, the FW is so short nosed you don't want to cut any more off of it.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:02 PM
iflyg450

thanks for the info sadly I fly little combat I love it but few club members are in to it. I just love small FAST planes
Old 01-13-2007, 04:38 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A small tank may make the last minute of flight the most agonizing experience of all, trying to keep aloft and evading your competition. Better to have a bit of fuel to spare and burn up sky and competition, so you can giv'm hell till the horn blows.