Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Rookie Combat - just for fun

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Rookie Combat - just for fun

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Montague

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rookie Combat - just for fun

Use whatever you normally would. The .15s used in SSC are pretty much like just about any other glow engine. A lot of guys use the OS plugs. I personally use K&B plugs in my Magnums, but it's not that critical.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Tkeith9512

ORIGINAL: fisher1648

My next question is about glow plugs. What brand have you guys found to be most reliable for this application ?

The supplied A3 works well, so start with it, but tune as appropriate for elevation and nitro %. I have yet to have an OS .15LA that didn't tach well above 17,500 with the 8x3 combat prop with 15% wildcat, but I'm at sea level.

Tom
Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Alex Treneff

ORIGINAL: fisher1648

The more I read-up on the combat world the more fun the organized events sound. I like the SSC rules and I think it will be worthwhile getting used to the rules and following them even at our un-official "just for fun" matches.

My next question is about glow plugs. What brand have you guys found to be most reliable for this application ?

Thanks for your patience -

Eric
Eric,

Check out our article [link=http://www.treneffrc.com/LA-15%20Clunk%20Tank%20Secrets.pdf]Clunk Tank Secrets[/link]. It tells everything you need to set the LA .15 up on your new AXE's.

I would try 15-30% Cool Power Heli fuel. We use exclusively 15, 20, and 30% cool power Heli fuel now (for everything, not just combat actually)
Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 PM
fisher1648

Sounds good. I've got plenty of CP 30% Heli and 15% so I should be all set. By using the spec prop and tach it should be straightforward to get them set-up.

I've reviewed the Clunk tank secrets and another article on Georgiacombat.com about the LA .15s and I think I understand the basics.

I'm getting excited to give this a whirl !

Alex - Tom said the Axes showed up today ! Wont be long now

I appreciate everyone's help -

Eric
Old 07-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Fokker_in_the_clouds

ORIGINAL: Tkeith9512

Yes, that's the engine. Supposed to be a powerhouse. IIRC, it's an adaptation of their buggy engine. If you look closely, Tower has it stashed away in the large 4 stroke engine section!

The LA is sorta the club de facto standard, mostly because of price and dead nuts reliability. Not to say it's the best, but most people would rather have a reliable motor that runs a little sluggish than a tempermental monster motor. Search the web and you'll find all the answers to fixing the LA's problems (.15 and .25) and keeping it competative with the best of 'em. That being said, I've haven't had a problem getting my LAs to tach up to limit with 15% nitro Wildcat fuel, but they're all at most 1 season old.

For streamers, go to the party store or one of your local alphabet marts and get a roll of 1 3/4 or 2 inch crepe paper streamer, color of your choice, and cut 30 foot lengths in half. Two for the price of one. While you're there, pick up a roll of knitting string and some fishing swivels and your good to go. You should come out for less than $5 and have enough string for a club for several seasons, and enough streamers for several sessions of combat.

One thing, lighter color streamers tend to disappear at a distance, and if you don't use swivels, they tend to roll up and sometimes tangle. Most people don't care, though. My group uses darker color streamers and swivels. We had a problem seeing wing cuts on the white and light blue streamers that we started with once they rolled up into tight little tubes and disappeared at distance.

Tom

PS, if you're SPADding, the DOGFIGHTER is hard to beat for club flying. We buy 1 sheet of 2mm, 1 sheet of 4mm, and 1 stick of downspout, and 1 sheet of 1/2 ply and get 5 planes, with plenty of coro and ply for spares and sell semi kits at our field, ready to assemble and add your radio and engine parts, for $12. If you're gonna scrounge for coro from stores or dumpsters, you can get off cheaper on making singles or small batches.

PPS, the Battle Axe is one fine plane for SSC or B, and SPAD versions are a no brainer once you actually see one. I'm flying an original in SSC and my SPAD version in B.

12 bucks hook me up with 2!!!!! lol
Old 07-15-2007, 02:17 PM
fisher1648

The Battle Axes are taking shape...shoudnt be long. So far we have 8 flyers at our field that are getting organized to compete. We will all be sticking with SSC class planes. Also, there are a handful of combat flyers in Tucson that may join us. Seems there isnt much combat activity in AZ....

Old 07-22-2007, 09:15 PM
fisher1648

I came up with this "landing gear" for flying my Battle Axe off of hard dirt. Seems to work great and it's light.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77177.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	728285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13549.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	728286  
Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

you could trap a piece of music wire behind the motor mount and sweep it slightly to keep the prop up off the dirt.