Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

.25 sized Great Planes P-40 Warhawk GP/EP ARF

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

.25 sized Great Planes P-40 Warhawk GP/EP ARF

Old 02-02-2008, 07:45 AM
tiger650
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .25 sized Great Planes P-40 Warhawk GP/EP ARF

ORIGINAL: 150flyer

I installed a Mac Muffler and began leaning the engine today. The plane was already fast but the speed increase from the new muffler was significant. I lost a few minutes per flight however, with a new average of about 8 minutes to dead stick. This is flying at full throttle.

When I first purchased this small plane, I figured it would be good for fairly calm days. Today the winds were about 15 mph but there were no problems. Some of my larger planes require more effort to handle in the wind.
The MACS muffler looks great. Does it function the same as a tuned pipe? Is it any louder than stock? Also, I really like the wheels that you have installed. Are they stock?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Macs mufflers are just that....mufflers. Not tuned. Back when I was flying scale combat I was attracted to them because they were lighter or at least moved some weight back from the nose. They do look better but will not give any noticeable increase in power on a .25FX with baffle removed. I did find about a 500 rpm bonus when added to an OS .25 FP.
One of the main benefits is they are one piece. You never have to worry about losing the back half in flight.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:30 PM
tiger650

Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with a stock OS 25SX.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 AM
KLF1292

Maidened the P-40 today. She flys well with the O.S. 30 4-Stroke and a 9X6 APC prop. Take-off was smooth and almost scale. She needed only a click or two of up elevator. The recommended throws were perfect and very responsive. I wouldn't say it was overly fast but it still whistles by at a good clip. Landing looked even better than the take-off - main touch, roll-out, and tail came down on the Dubro micro steerable tailwheel I installed. I may change the prop from APC to 10X5 MasterAirscrew. And the O.S. 30 FS? It's so very quiet with a nice little growl and plenty of power for sport flying. I love this plane.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
tiger650

Does anyone have any tips on hand launching the P-40? I built it without the gear because I fly on an average condition grass field.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 AM
borisp

It should be very similar as with Corsair: about 1/2 but not more than 70% on throttle, one or two clicks of up trim, and a firm horizontal toss away. This is considering you are equipped with .25 sized engine and 9x6 prop or close.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
westdr6113

I just maidened my new one today (destroyed the last one). I had launch at 100% throttle with no trim adjustments and havnt had any problems. I'm using a os 25fx. The motor mount is stock and at factory set angle for right thrust. A nice underhand launch seems to work fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20886.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	898275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11463.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	898276  
Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
cosmo64

SWEET!!! What paint did you use? Great detail and what a nice looking ship!!! They sure fly great don't they???
Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 AM
westdr6113

I just used spray paint for the base colors. I used krylon white primer overall then light gray primer for under surface and krylon satin Italian olive for upper surfaces- kinda gives a nice semi faded olive drab look and it dries really smooth. I used a pilot extra fine precise v5 ball pen for panel lines. i used a ruler with a thin peace of cork glued to one side (slightly narrower than ruler) so the ruler sits just off the surface to prevent bleeding. You have to let the panel lines dry for about 20 mins before handling or they'll smear. the nose art and weathering is tamiya acrylics. and then the whole thing is sprayed with a light coat of top flite lusterkote flat clear. Some people have asked me how durable the paint job is. well I've never had a balsa combat plane last more than two months and just before that plane was destroyed the paint was starting to fade away behind the muffler and leading edge of the exhaust side wing. I've also found that if you cover the plane with pearl monokote when the paint does fade it almost looks like bare metal wearing thru so its kinda natural looking. Two months is the longest I had a balsa combat plane about 47 seconds is the shortest- never had to repaint any of them
Old 03-16-2008, 01:41 PM
KWJ48

Has anyone weighed theirs yet? With a 3s 4100 lipo I'm at 2 .lbs 10 oz. With a 3s 2200 I'm at 2.lbs 4 oz. It seems kinda heavy?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:35 PM
tiger650

ORIGINAL: westdr6113

I just maidened my new one today (destroyed the last one). I had launch at 100% throttle with no trim adjustments and havnt had any problems. I'm using a os 25fx. The motor mount is stock and at factory set angle for right thrust. A nice underhand launch seems to work fine.
The paint job is awesome. Well worth the time I'm sure. I think I will try the underhand launch for my maiden flight as well. Did it need much trimming out when you got it in the air?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:03 AM
westdr6113

Thanks, mine didn't need much trim a couple clicks left aileron was all it needed
Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
wyldbill

Hey Ya'll....I got one of these "SPEED DEMONS" and to say I am impressed with her ain't saying enough. THIS IS NOT A BEGINNERS MODEL!!!! Mine is set up as an electric, a 3s 2500mAh, a 9X6 prop, and fixed gear...and she SCREAMS!!! (I would guestimate at a low flyby to be nearly 85 mph!....her slip stream is very very pretty) You've GOT to watch her on take offs as she has a bad habit of breaking props on her ground roll....her nose ALWAYS tries to sniff the ground. In the air, though, she's a dream to fly!!! Very NICE!!! She goes right where you point her nose. My favorite manuever is a straight up climb as she slowly torque rolls....WOW!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! This lil' Warhawk EATS UP ALOT OF AIRSPACE..... FAST!!! Setting up for a landing, you have HAVE to bleed off her airspeed.....dump throttle on her base leg and coast her around. She'll glide right in for ya!!! If it don't look right, throttle her back up and she won't hesitate. MAKE SURE that you set her up as the manual says...LOW and HIGH rates are ON THE NUMBERS!!! (I don't have the guts yet to flip the high rate settings....YET!!!) All my flying buddies really anticipate her as she comes out of the trunk.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 PM
icemanfrombama
My Feedback: (2)

Afriend at the club has one of these birds and he runs a 4 stroke 30 in his and it pulls like heck but is nowhere near as fast as those of us running two cycle 25's but his sure sounds good. good luck with yours
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM
DAKOTANOVASS
My Feedback: (17)

I received one of these for christmas and was wondering if anyone thinks that a os 40la would be too much for this plane. Only reason I am asking is that theOS slides right inbetween the rails nice. I do have a magnum 25 I could use but is a bit sloppy in the mounts.

Terrell
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM
tiger650

ORIGINAL: DAKOTANOVASS

I received one of these for christmas and was wondering if anyone thinks that a os 40la would be too much for this plane. Only reason I am asking is that theOS slides right inbetween the rails nice. I do have a magnum 25 I could use but is a bit sloppy in the mounts.

Terrell
Way too much, and way too heavy. Mine screams with an OS 25 and I still needed to add an ounce to the tail.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Textanker

That is awesome. Did you just paint the Monokote, or use something else?

ORIGINAL: westdr6113

Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Could someone explain the under hand launch? It sounds awkward, but I'm not the most coordinated to begin with. I have a Shrike and Simple 400 that I use the over hand launch with.
I have the new P47 from GP on the way. Will start with 25FX and 9x4 prop.

Thanks, MikeB
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 AM
BuzzRTC

ORIGINAL: WMB

Could someone explain the under hand launch? It sounds awkward, but I'm not the most coordinated to begin with. I have a Shrike and Simple 400 that I use the over hand launch with.
I have the new P47 from GP on the way. Will start with 25FX and 9x4 prop.

Thanks, MikeB
Mike,

Pretty simple. You got the right prop setup. Grab the plane by the fuse at mid wing with your throwing hand, TX in the other hand, full throttle, swing back, then forward and let go at the point the plane is about 30 degrees angle of attack. Just remember to keep the wings level, and dont sweep around, but rather fwd.

I advise you make sure the plane is properly trimmed first. We lauch this way with heavier coro planes. The GP is balsa and so lite, that it should fly right out of your hand. Dont get the angle of attack any steeper than 45 degrees, or you're asking for trouble.

Dan