Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Ki-43 OSCAR

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Ki-43 OSCAR

Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM
grasshopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ki-43 OSCAR

Ki-43 OSCAR PROTOTYPE SPECS

Span; 48"
Length; 38"
Wieght; 3lb. 4oz.
Dihedral; 1-1/2" each wingtip
Washout; 3 degrees
Engine; .25 glow

Primary construction; CNC hot wire cut Dow blue foam wing cores and fuse with glass rod spars.
Tail surfaces; 4mm Coroplast.
Firewall; 1/4" liteply.
Reinforcing material; Bi-directional tape (bi-di).

Equipment used;
Engine; Norvell .25 AME
Fuel tank; Jett 6oz. short
Receiver; Hitec Electron6
Battery; Radical RC 4.8v 370mah NiMH
Servos; Hitec HS-81 MG
Prop; MA 10-4

Finished all up dry weight was 2lb. 15oz. but required 4-5oz. nose weight to balance. Since the designed purpose of this model is 2548 class Scale Combat, which requires a minimum weight of 3lb. 4oz., adding nose weight was no problem. The build was straightforward and followed techniques used commonly by most RC Combat models. Covering is a combination of Monocote (being careful not to overheat) and low temp covering films. Canopy is a 9" Sig WWII type, cowling is clear palstic from soda bottle painted flat black. Tail surfaces are 4mm coroplast.

Flight testing took place on very breezy day with very good results. Flew straight out of my hand and after minor trim adjustment performed quite well. Even with lots of elevator throw providing a crisp turn radius, no tendency to snap which surprised me. Rolls are fast and reasonably axial. Slow flight was not fully explored as engine low end not leaned out and tended to load up and quit, but brief coasting felt good and near stall showed no bad characteristics. Landing on empty tank was also smooth, slowed down nicely with no tip stall. Pitch sensitivity is very good with no porpoising at high or low speed so CG should be about right, will experiment with that more later. Elevator response was smooth and solid, felt good and inverted flight also surprised me. It easily flew outside loops with no bad handling.

Testing was limited to one flight yesterday as back half of muffler got loose and needed a trip back to the work bench to fix properly. I am quite pleased with preliminary results of first prototype and will continue testing and procede to cut kits for those interested possibly as soon as the end of Feb-early March.

I chose the Ki-43 to model for its uniqueness, gracefull lines and very large number of documented color schemes. In spite of having been present in every Pacific theater in large numbers the Oscar is often overshadowed by the more well known and popularized Zero but it was quite well known to, and feared by, the Allied pilots who encountered it in the air. Check this link to see some of the colorful versions of the Oscar that would make a great combat model.

[link]http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/768/65/0[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50177.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	875823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27655.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	875824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58460.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	875825  
Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Clean

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Ki-43 OSCAR

41 posts on this forum and you're already knee deep in kickass mode. Kewl job Grasshopper, can I have my pebble back now?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Reverse_Sensing

Nice job, looks pretty quick!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:51 PM
grasshopper

Reverse Sensing, that wouldn't be Ron Horton would it? Last I heard he was out Billings way.

You are right it looks fast, and first flight was no problem as for speed. I'll know better when I get a few more flights on it, but it looks to be right where it should and the class is not about all out speed anyway.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 PM
cashrc
My Feedback: (2)

The KI has good moments, good area and a nice slim fuselage aft of the cockpit, plus the aforementioned wealth of color schemes. You did good, sir, real nice looking bird.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I will never forget those big 2610 events in Billings. What a great group of guys and the true founding fathers of our modern RC combat. I look back fondly to those times.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Clean

Never made it to Billings but I've seen a couple tapes. It looked like fun, but combat for me started in Wichita where they hadn't heard of the namby RCCA rule crisis a minute style of combat. It was just a pinacle of the all out slug fests that we had through the core of the country. I liked flying scale, but that *******ization that was brought upon combat once I went RCCA truly screwed a bunch of pleasant even estactic memories.

Still, my favorite picture is from a day just south of Pittsburg, MO. with the air temps at 115° and a bunch of us out in a field flying, fueling, tieing on more streamer and getting back up in the air. Ta Hell with points, we all knew who was winning.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:01 PM
vertical grimmace

I here you CLEAN about where the RCCA is now. I do remember when the Kansas crazies entered the scene, with the SPADS and the incistance on running .40 size engines. I never had any optimism about scale combat staying very popular once the Open class rules were established but now there seems to be a desire to constantly create a new event. Too bad there is not a focus to get everyone flying ONE event. Then maybe we would see really large numbers at the combat contests. I guess the argument would be about which one. Meanwhile I suppose they will continue to try to create that event.
Billings was just a moment in time and I met some incredibly nice people and had about as much fun flying as I ever have. Interestingly, very few of these individuals are still involved.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Clean

They're all just moments. Grab em while you can, embrace them full and get a good whiff of the Nitro Cuzz they'll be gone!

Not to worry though, another one gonna come right along.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Reverse_Sensing

Nah, I know Ron though and and had the priviledge of feeding some streamer to him. Some of the best 2610 took place in Billings. I miss the good ol days
Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
vertical grimmace

Yes, Some of the best chase flying I have ever seen between Mike Fredricks and Earl Seaholm. Both excellent pilots. Earl won the darn thing the first year with an olive drab cub. That prompted a rule change!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:23 PM
grasshopper

Hey guys,

I guess I'll go along and hijack my own thread for a post with you, (it's supposed to be about a scratch built Ki-43 scale combat plane).

I can really relate to the sentiment expressed. I spent a good year stuck in whateverhappenedtothegoodolddays mode before getting back on track. I've been flying combat for 13 years now starting with a local annual Wild Thing only contest for big bucks ($1000.00 1st, $500.00 2nd, $300.00 3rd) CASH) that ran for 8 consecutive years.

Bad health took me out of the picture for 3 years and when I came back it was a different scene. I whined and complained about nearly everything for a year. In particular I hated what had happened to scale! I went round and round on forums and with my fellow competitors at meets. Call me a die hard but in spite of all that I never got to the point of throwing hands up and quitting.

After giving 2548 a fair shake, and with all things considered, I have come to the conclusion that while not perfect, (nothing ever will be), it is an improvement on the obvious problems with 2610 that became quite apparent over time. If you look at my contest participation, rounds of scale (both classes) flown in the past 3 years on the RCCA archives, you'll see I have posted as many hours in the air as most anyone else and then some.

So to offer my expert (ha) opinion and encouragement, I say don't give up and stay plugged in to the mainstrem. Let your voice be heard with everyone else's and be prepared to comprimise. If you like chasing streamers as much as I do, get with the program and keep the home fires burning. If you love the good old days then put your streamer where your mouth is and hold competitions for it the good old fashioned way.

Please don't be offended, but if you're doing nothing, you really have nothing to say. By that I mean unless you stay involved with the change process (and yes change is inevitable), remain active in competition to stay current and have some credibility, it always sounds like some malcontent whining about what they don't like and offering no constructive input. It has been my experience that you will get more out if you put more in.

If you don't like where things are and seem to be going, then I must ask what specifically have you done to influence that trend? Talking doesn't count much to me, talk is too cheap, especially on the internet. Are you staying active? Flying lots of rounds of whatever class is available? Got you CD rating so you can run a contest, (which allows you to choose what you like best)? Keeping combat alive (whatever class you prefer) locally by hosting events at your home field? Travelling to other areas occassionally to compete? Flying demos at non-combat related events to generate interest? Staying an active member of the RCCA so you can be heard? Etc. Actions speak far louder than words my friends.

May I suggest that if you would like to continue this discusion that you please start your own thread on the topic. (If you can narrow it down to a single topic)

Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
vertical grimmace

I personally am not as interested in combat as I was. I am very active but mostly flying pylon and large scale. A couple of Open B contests a year (which was always my primary interest).
Sorry for hijacking your thread but I think it was dead anyway.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Alex Treneff

Nice looking plane, Chris!

Are you planning to make the Atlanta contest March 28th? Looking forward to seeing you there!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
grasshopper

Alex,

Check your dates or you will get there a week late! I see the contest listing on March 22. I would like to make it but need a buddy to make the 10 hr. drive with me. I'm trying to get Drewjet off his butt, so will probably be there. I'll be bringing this nifty little Oscar to show off. Want to fly it?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Alex Treneff

ORIGINAL: grasshopper

Alex,

Check your dates or you will get there a week late! I see the contest listing on March 22. I would like to make it but need a buddy to make the 10 hr. drive with me. I'm trying to get Drewjet off his butt, so will probably be there. I'll be bringing this nifty little Oscar to show off. Want to fly it?
Yeah, the 22nd. On the 28th I'll be in Texas at the Lone Star Nats.[8D] Hope you can get with Drewjet and make the trip!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 AM
grasshopper

Here's pics of prototype #2. After testing will be cutting kits for $75 plus shipping.

Name:	Bz78056.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	936007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66223.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	936008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35070.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	936009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80754.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	936010  
Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Don B.H.

Well I just orderedone Ki-43 Oscar and I have a new in the Box .25FX so I will give 2548 a try, see if I can whip up on some of these Mid Atlantic Boys and that fellow that drops in from time to time from Ohio.
The build should go alright because I have put together 7 of those Axes from Tennessee and they were easy to build and fly great. I have been looking for months at 2548 models,reading posts and asking questions and this is the one I came up with.
Come on Spring
Old 01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
boiler1

If you hold a 2548 meet on one of my open dates, I will be there to donate my streamer.
Bob (Longhaul)
Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
grasshopper

Don't let him fool you Don, Bob L. is a wolf in sheep's clothing when it comes to streamer hunting! He does NOT however, currently own one of my spiffy little Oscars, so you will enjoy a distinct, and fasionable if I do say so myself, advantage should you meet him on the field of battle! Your kit shipped today and I e-mailed tracking info.

Here's another example of the finished product.

Name:	Fd91241.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1356003  
Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 PM
AirScharnell

I would agree with Chris.....
Bob L, can hold his own even at LSN... I remeber Bob, taking some awards home
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Don B.H.

Let's say I get a clean cut and I have 30 feet of Bob's streamer trailing off my wing.
I could have Bob chasing his own tail.
I know I chased my own tall a time
or two
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Don B.H.

Well the kit arrived a few weeks ago and I have been working on it off and on along with running in some new engines and taching them to find the best one. Need a hot engine to go up against boiler1 and Montaque.
Well the build is going good when I'm not working or shoveling snow. Here are some photos.

Name:	Ki20405.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1375048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57814.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1375049  
Old 02-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Montague

Those Oscars are some good looking and flying planes. Glad to see more guys in this area trying scale combat.

One of these days I'll get to working on the 3rd generation of my Hurricane, I just haven't managed the motivation for it recently. I know several guys have asked about kits, it's really a matter of time and effort. It's really cool the Oscar is available, there really aren't that many 2548 planes out there right now.

Good luck on the engine thing, two of my 2548 engines are rebuilt 2610 engines with new piston/liner sets. That's a recipe for serious power (as long as the bearings aren't worn out or something)
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Don B.H.

Slow but sure... The wing taking shape

Name:	Ur51968.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1391073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12725.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1391074  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.