Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

What a blast!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

What a blast!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
batchelc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a blast!

A bunch of us in the club descided we wanted to try combat and last night we did! 4 airplanes and pilots showed up and we were off and flying. We flew a mixed class with 3 SCC birds and one Open-B.

Within a few minutes we had a midair that took one out and the second was repaired with some packing tape. We had one streamer cut and a whole lot of fun. we flew two rounds before the light ran out.

We are flying a plane that we have been designing for the last few months - Coro fuse and tail and foam wings. We kitted this plane to get people intersted and we are not limiting it to just that design, we descided anyone who has a plane that meets the rules is welcome.

We descided that we are going to formalize the flying a little by writing down the safety rules for our field and having pilot breif and tech inspections. Other than what's on the RCCombat.com and the AMA website does anyone have any suggestions for rules. I believe in the KISS principal.

So far we have: [link=http://www.wichitapilot.com/page.php?pageid=34]http://www.wichitapilot.com/page.php?pageid=34[/link]

I can't wait to get out to the field and do this again!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75096.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	996183  
Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
draftman1

Default RE: What a blast!

isnt combat crazy? it is so fun. the rccombat is the best and only site for combat. the rules are really basicly easy and simple. Im glad you guys got together and tried it. Im getting ready to go to a sanctioned meet this weekend. between the 3 of us in our group, we are taking 10 planes. all of ours are SPADs, corostang, dogfighter and a wing type plane. we are going up againts very experianced combat pilots. this is our groups second meet ever. keep it up and try to find other meets in your area, get a circut going. have fun
Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM
batchelc

Draftman,
Our club does a lot of racing and when we were flying combat we were all going ohhh and ahhh and yikes and the like. It just had a certain energy about it.
WP
Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 PM
draftman1

I hope you get alot of guys trying it. it is the most exciting five minutes ever! it also helps to have some easy to build planes ready to let others try it. onec they get bit, they will want there own. is there any other combat in the area?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM
batchelc

Not that I know of but we have the easy built plane thing down. We are selling kits for $45 bucks and you can assemble it quickly. I gave one of the guys his kit Sunday and he was combat'n on Tuesday! I think we have most of the bugs out so the next batch of planes will be really good.

[link=http://www.wichitapilot.com/page.php?pageid=26]http://www.wichitapilot.com/page.php?pageid=26[/link]

The wings in the pics on that site are "version 1". Version 2 wings are 48" span and have a constant chord wing.

We have also been kicking around the idea of combat racing with pylons. So you race these planes with streamers. We would use the remaining streamer length to determine seconds added to your lap times. What do you think?

WP
Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
draftman1

an thats a cool plane! I wonder what it would be like with an os 25 fx in it. the dog fighter from spadtothebone is also a quick and easy plane to build but yours looks a whole lot cooler!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
batchelc

Draftman1,

They climb like heck with an os25. The one guy is getting 20-25 minutes on a tank with his 25. All you have to do is put the wing dowels a little further forward with the heavier engine.

If you want a kit let me know (via PM). We are making the second batch and we cut out parts for 12 airplanes tonight.

WP
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 AM
draftman1

Ok thanks, let me know on the next build. I just done building 8 spad combat planes, man Im tired of building!! I have never tried a foam wing, just all coroplast. our 3 person combat team is taking 11 planes for a meet saturday. I will put a picture up of all my 8 planes. I really do like that combat tomcat, its very cool. now you just need to get a person to CD a formal combat meet at your club.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 AM
goplaneman
My Feedback: (175)

Are you still selling the Kits? If so, What else is needed to get the plane ready to fly?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM
batchelc

Kits are $45 + Shipping

Instructions are here: [link=http://www.wichitapilot.com/page.php?pageid=30]http://www.wichitapilot.com/page.php?pageid=30[/link]

To finish it you will need wing covering (packing tape or monokote or similar), bi-directional packing tape (one roll will do several planes - home depot has this), Poly Glue or Gorollia Glue (home depot or lowes), an engine mount, 3 control horns and control linkages. Of course you will need an engine, servos, a 4 cell flat battery pack and receiver.

Send me a PM if you are interstred.