Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

"Light Combat" 5oz Fighters

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

"Light Combat" 5oz Fighters

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 PM
TwistedProp
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Light Combat" 5oz Fighters

These are some of our scratch built EPP 5 oz WWII fighters 22" WS...lots of fun... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGK1vwPsj8I
Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Blue Note

Default RE: "Light Combat" 5oz Fighters

That's pretty cool. You got any closer pictures of you planes and setups? It's been a long time since I have flown electric, but that is LIGHT!. Is that AUW, or just the airframe?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 AM
TwistedProp

AUW is 4-5 ozs....mine started at around 4ozs but so many mid-airs caused hot glue fixes...the basic airframe is around an ounce and a half, then a 2s 400-500 mAh, a 10g to 17g outrunner ( we've been using 1700-2100 kv, 7x4 prop),10g 12A esc,.(2) 4g servos(elev. rudd.) and a 5g ail servo add some weight gremlins and it should be under or at 4ozs or somewhere around....very simple profile build....6mm EPP I think....even simpler electronics set-up...I just could find one pic so far.. this is one of my combat buddies....he flys Mustangs...
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My local club is knee deep into this as well though they're using blue foam and I forget whose plans off the internet. I bought one to fly here at work when I get it setup which all I'm missing is a can of paint to make it look real-ish before I put the electronics on it. Then I'll see about making another for combat as they're really having a bunch of fun and a local member is assembling the airframes for 20 bucks. Keeps him busy and us in airplanes.

I think if you follow the AMA setback you probably have to stand in front of the airplanes. OK, that's kidding but following the safety guide you can the excitement of combat into a minimal space. In this case, even if one of the planes goes haywire and runs into someone you'd have to be really unlucky to hurt anyone. It's a great idea and might actually get folks who haven't started playing with Lipo's or electric a good introduction to it.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
draftman1

thats cool, were are the plans for these planes?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
TwistedProp

they are just taken off 3-view scale drawings and scaled to 22" WS in an autocad program....we're heavy into the AMA 2610 scale and Open-B combat classes here....just thought this would be fun.....this is actually our gear from our "Micro Sumos" that we fly indoors....but these are alot faster flying than the Micro Sumo....same prop,motor,servos,esc and batt.......who says you have to grow up????
Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 PM
draftman1

very cool, whats the thickness of the epp your using? I can do the plan stuff in autocad. Im gona get on it now!!

opps I just saw the 6mm part of your thread, thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
TwistedProp

yeah that autocad is cool....just learned how to use it myself........did this B-17 (it'll have LG and be about 16ozs AUW) without taking one measurement or using my trusty yardstick at all (first time for that) at it fit together like a glove, the B-25 ( which flys great) and ME-109(my combat plane) are just "TLAR'ed"..
Old 01-05-2009, 05:17 PM
draftman1

wow those are cool, are you going to put 2 motors on the b-17? probly no need for four motors. what kind of paint are you using?
I have been using autocad for 10 yrs. I draw houses as a side business. very cool looking planes!!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
TwistedProp

four motors for sure....this will probably be my only "quad" ever....besides $10 motors makes it plenty cheap...will probably split on two 30A ESCs...just using stuff laying around...paint is just spray can Krylon , doesn't seem to eat the EPP if you spray it lightly...lots of fun cheap...or is that cheap fun...I've already downloaded hundreds of scale 3-view plane drawings....this is really cool to do
Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
draftman1

oh wow, four motors on that b17 wll be so cool. I cant wait to see a video on that one