Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Covering the Predator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Covering the Predator

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 01:57 PM
RCAV8R3
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering the Predator

I just purchased my first Predator and I am waiting for it to arrive. I have never built one or even seen one before. What is the best and easiest way to cover the plane? If someone could help me out with this I would appreciate it. Thanks

Scotty540
Old 06-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Montague

Seriously, follow the directions. It doesn't get much easier and it works.

They recommend ultracote, and I used it on mine with success. One minor thing, the instructions aren't clear on the 3m-77 spray step. You can either put the ultracote on while the 3m-77 is tacky or you can wait until the 3m-77 is more dry. The heat will re-activiate the glue, and it's easier to get the ultra cote in position.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:01 AM
RCAV8R3

Thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear that it is easy. I will take your advice. Thanks again.

Scotty540
Old 06-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Montague

btw, you can also send email directly to the TufFlight guys if you have questions, they are great guys, really helpful in email, and great to fly against. Not that boards like this aren't good too .
Old 06-05-2003, 12:38 PM
RCAV8R3

Default Combat Competition

I noticed your from maryland area I live in delaware and I am new to combat flying. Is there competitions in this area? Thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 01:21 PM
stdun

I have a Predator X. It's the one on Tufflights testimonials web site. They are really cool planes. I have an OS46FX on mine and it screams! The only change I made to the covering installation is to cut the servo, reciever, battery, etc. holes, test fit everything and then cover it without the stuff in place. It's makes it real easy to cover and then cut the covering at the openings and glue everything in place. To bury the servo wires I cut right thru the covered plane with a knife about 1/4'' deep, push the wires in and put a 1'' piece of cover over that cut. These planes will loop inside themselves!
Old 06-05-2003, 01:24 PM
stdun

Also one more thing, I ended up putting the battery upright, glue and zip-tied at the rear of the plane next to the tail fin. It was the only way I could get mine to balance, so you might check that before you cut the recommended battery hole in the front of the plane.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Montague

Scotty540 ,

Check out www.MidAtlanticCombat.com It's the (small) site I maintain for combat in this area. We have a lot of contests in the MD-NOVA region, and a sprinkling in other areas. Depending on where in DE you live, it shouldn't be too far a drive to most of them. My home club is holding 4 contests this year, we've already done 2 of them. We are located just off I-95 in Laurel, MD, about half way between DC and Baltimore. There is also a mailing list for contest annoucements and other Mid-Atlantic region information.

And you don't want to miss the Mid-Atlantic Championships out in Haymarket, VA. It should be the biggest contest in the region this year, with a number of the best pilots coming in from out of the area.

I also happen to be one of the guys who will travel to a good contest, and chase NPS points, so my idea of "close by" may not match yours. Last year I drove 4.5hrs to a contest, flew, then drove home that day, twice. And I'll likely do it again

If you are wondering, A class is most popular around here, followed by B class. There is very little 2610, and almost no SSC.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:46 PM
RCAV8R3

I don't mind driving to go to a good meet. I go to Ohio once sometimes twice a year for fly-ins. So Virginia would not be too bad.

Scott
Old 06-06-2003, 02:59 PM
RCAV8R3

One more thing, What are the rules for Class A & B?

Scott
Old 06-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Montague

You can (and should) read the full rules at www.rccombat.com.

the short version is:
A class : .15 size max engine, 2.5lb RTF less fuel max weight
B class : .30 size max engine, 3.5lb RTF less fuel max weight