Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Receiver for combat?

Can anyone suggest a good, cheap receiver to use for combat? Is there any problem with using a single channel Rx with a plane like the battle axe?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Receiver for combat?

ORIGINAL: Bad Tooth

Can anyone suggest a good, cheap receiver to use for combat? Is there any problem with using a single channel Rx with a plane like the battle axe?

Single channel or single phase/conversion. Big problem if single channel. FM or 2.4? I always prefer 2 aileron servos for redundancy, but many use one single servo. The Hitec Electron 6 seems to continue to be a quite popular FM receiver. I now use the Spektrum AR500 for the 2.4 stuff for about $50. Full range and no problems yet, running 6.0V batteries.
    BNC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do not use single conversion for combat!!!! the vibration and speed make a combo that will ensure loss of control. The electron 6 is a good choice for FM. Make sure you install the crystal rubbers to make sure you do not have any crystal problems. I have used the AR 6100 and the 5000 for 2.4 and the both work great. if you have older AR 6100's they should have the fast connnect update. Spektrum also is prone to low voltage brown out so an appropriate battery is in order. I have also used their plug in capacitor (with the car stuff) to avoid low voltage brown out.

Some Cheap off brand stuff will work and guys are using it, but I try not to skimp on the control end, you get what you pay for. Open B planes are about 90MPH, out of control even for a short time can be devistating.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bad Tooth,

The Battle Axe will accommodate anything up to a standard 7-channel 72 mHz receiver in size. Years back (circa 2004 I believe) I used Hitec Feather single-conversion receivers in my Battle Axe's, but eventually ran into an interference issue with a certain combination of two other radios. Because single-conversion is inherently more susceptible to interference, I wouldn't recommend using it with any airframe beyond the manufacturer's recommendations.

Have fun and let us know how you do! [8D]

Best regards,
    Alex Treneff

Alex Treneff
    TreneffRC.com - BATTLE AXE SSC/B Combat Kits - Assan X8 2.4 GHz System

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Alex! You found me! I just put in my order today for those 2 BattleAxes; can't wait till they get here. I did order the Hitec Neutron 6S dual conversion. It looks like the Neutron is the new Electron.

I did try a single conversion in a glow plane once and it was the only time I have ever had radio problems. So I figured that's what you guys would say about using them for a combat plane.

I have less than 2 weeks to get ready for the local combat event......... Should be fun getting ready for that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been using the Hitec 4, 5, and 6 channel SC Rx in combat for three years without a single problem. We also use the Electron 6 and 555 with excellent results.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I second the Electron 6 or the discontinued 555, the ONLY two I trust. Never a failure, rock solid control and getting cheaper too.
    Oooh eee oooh ah ah(the crowd) ting tang walla walla bing bang!(the plane crash)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I run the 555, i tried the 05S singles in my ssc's and while the did work I have had 2 go bad, one during nats. I still have a SC 04something hitec in a hard case and never had a problem with it in my ssc's. The 05s was really a full range for electric models in a cardboard case.

555 is still my favorite for size, durability and price.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the Berg 4 channel micro receiver. No problems, very small, full range, cheap and it has a programmable failsafe.

berg micro stamp RX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I maidened my ssc Lethal Weapon today and used a Corona single conversion rcvr and had no issues. Not bad for a 13 buck rcvr that is destined for combat duty[sm=lol.gif]
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used hitec dual conversions, 555, electron6 for a number of years and had some problems at a site in Ft Worth. I switched to the single conversion BERG which many of the guys were flying without problems. I've been very happy with them the last 3 years. The receivers and crystals cost less and are smaller and lighter. In combat it is nice if you don't have to move your receivers from one ship to another so price is important.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have been using the Assan X8 2.4Ghz system here for a while and are pleased to announce that TreneffRC is now an authorized USA retailer for Assan.

The X8 system is great for combat because it is small, light, extremely affordable, and of course with 2.4 Ghz there aren't any interference issues to worry about.

The X8 system, which is great for your whole fleet, allows you to turn almost any existing 72 Mhz radio with a module into a 2.4 Ghz broadcast system in 60 seconds. Simply pull the old module from the radio and snap in the new Spread Spectrum module. And of course you still have all your current programming in the radio.

I really like the system because I can go to an event anywhere or be at the field on a busy weekend and not have to worry about being "shot down" by accident as I might on 72mhz.

Assan CF-I combo for Futaba/Hitec

Assan CJ-I combo for JR

Alex Treneff
    TreneffRC.com - BATTLE AXE SSC/B Combat Kits - Assan X8 2.4 GHz System