RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Combat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-combat-94/)
-   -   Is combat dead? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-combat-94/10836998-combat-dead.html)

combatpigg 12-26-2011 09:28 AM

RE: Is combat dead?

ORIGINAL: 378
Because midairs cost a fortune. I want to see combat done with much more scale looking stuff in the .40 to .90 size range, aircraft too expensive to be smacking into each other. That, combined with the lasertag 'weapons' and FPV control, will make for MUCH more realistic and interesting dogfights from the non-RC'ers perspective. Anyone who appreciates air combat could watch and enjoy.

How much combat have you flown...?
How much time have you spent prepping 10 pound, 90 mph planes for laser tag...?
FPV wont eliminate midairs.
Do you know what the safe setback distance would be for planes of this size and speed...?

I suppose if I had $10,000 to devote to a fleet of .90 sized FPV combat planes and support equipment your idea would be a piece of cake.....:D

Fly2XS 12-26-2011 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Old Erkki

Greetings from Finland

No, we are not smuck about price gasoline. But anyway high price gives good motivation to avoid waisting it.

On the other hand we have very good reason to be very smuck.

Still after over ten years of combat flying we have one good class 1:12 WW II combat. Rules are almost same as they originally were. There is some national variation about how rules are intepreted, but in Eurocup Ukranian fellow have same equipment as his competitor in UK. In 2011 Eurocup had 238 names and in 2010 there was 248 names.

Other class is 1:8 WW I combat, even that has about 70 active contestants

You can find more iformation in
http://www.aircombat.eu/

Old Erkki
Hello Erkki!
We started the ASDA/RCCA with the same rules. I loved the WW2 Pursuit Combat. I met Holger Bothmer in Bremen back in 98 and checked out his squadron. It's a good program!
Scott
Pappy704
RCCA #108

ctshepherd 12-26-2011 12:17 PM

Scott,

Next year is the 10th anniversary of the Official AMA Combat Nats... might be good enough reason to show up in Muncie to relive the glory days. [8D]

To be totally retro, I would have to outfit a fleet of TufFlight Predators and scratch build some Mustangs from Check Six plans. ;)

Clean 12-26-2011 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Clean

Oh NOT that Lasertag crap again!

Wait, DeJaVu?

You got a better idea besides just smashing expensive hardware together and hoping it survives? It's too unsafe to use actual projectiles.

I will not again waste my time explaining the facts of life to ignorant, arrogant children again. Rather you can read through this thread and any lasertag thread that we've been through on this board yourself. If it still seems practical to you at that time then I'm afraid there is no hope for you. Chaising streamers is safe and economical and a whole lot of fun. Your premis that it's the end of the world when two planes collide is founded in ignorance. That only you and that other idjut who no longer posts in this thread but rather ran home to his SAFE bbs, is he arrogance. There are many, including myself, here that are seasond combat pilots. They will all assure you that throwing thousands of dollars into your vision of a combat plane will not grow the event as none of them are silly, YESSILLY enough to do such a thing.

Sale any airplane you have and continue on in virtual reality with your SEGA. The real world hurts when your imagination gets out of hand.

Clean 12-26-2011 01:17 PM

On the other hand, you bring me a better mousetrap and I'll pay attention.  You've just brought me the same pie dream that was broached here not 3 days before IN this very thread.

vertical grimmace 12-27-2011 08:35 AM

Your a complete idiot. Every one of your posts is progressively the worst I have read. .90 sized combat? Yah, I would like to see you promote that. You will be all alone. that's for sure.

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: Clean

Why would you want to avoid midairs? They're BEAUTIFUL. Specially if the planes involved are made of beaded styrofoam. The snow will come down for minutes.

Because midairs cost a fortune. I want to see combat done with much more scale looking stuff in the .40 to .90 size range, aircraft too expensive to be smacking into each other. That, combined with the lasertag 'weapons' and FPV control, will make for MUCH more realistic and interesting dogfights from the non-RC'ers perspective. Anyone who appreciates air combat could watch and enjoy.

ORIGINAL: Fly2XS

@378 let's not bash someone for pointing out facts.

I have no respect for smug Europeans acting like they're better than us because they pay more for fuel. They get both barrels from me if they start that crap up.
Their fuel is not any more expensive than ours. They just like to pay more taxes. That is where the expense is.
Their fuel is more expensive. Simple math. We pay around $3 a gallon or so, give or take half a dollar. They pay between $6 and $8. Therefore, their fuel is more expensive. It doesn't matter how it gets more expensive, fact of the matter is, they have to spend more money to buy the same volume that we do.

Also, I doubt they like paying more in tax than they do on the fuel itself.

perttime 12-27-2011 11:33 AM

Your a complete idiot.
You ...

are obviously a mature adult.

ctshepherd 12-27-2011 01:13 PM

Can we get back to the topic of discussion? It is quite evident that combat is not dead in the US, but it is on life support as evidenced by the small number of members in the AMA Sig.

We should be discussing ways to promote growth in this exciting subset of the hobby, not bashing each other over the cost of gas, taxes, etc.
If you want to talk about that stuff, take it offline.

vertical grimmace 12-27-2011 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: ctshepherd

Can we get back to the topic of discussion? It is quite evident that combat is not dead in the US, but it is on life support as evidenced by the small number of members in the AMA Sig.

We should be discussing ways to promote growth in this exciting subset of the hobby, not bashing each other over the cost of gas, taxes, etc.
If you want to talk about that stuff, take it offline.
So how many members does the RCCA have now? It began to feel like the RCCA was chasing the perfect event. It seemed as though there got to be too many. It is tough to "tool" up for a bunch of different events. I think they need one good one and focus and promote it.

perttime 12-28-2011 07:09 AM

It began to feel like the RCCA was chasing the perfect event. It seemed as though there got to be too many. It is tough to ''tool'' up for a bunch of different events. I think they need one good one and focus and promote it.
Once you have a multitude of events, it is hard to cut back. Until some of them die natural deaths.

As far as I know, WW2 scale combat is the only one with wide participation in Europe, and that surely simplifies things.

rrh 12-28-2011 10:10 AM

So how many members does the RCCA have now?
There are currently 138 dues paying RCCA members.

OzMo 12-30-2011 05:10 PM

Is SSC still the fastest growing in the US?

vertical grimmace 12-30-2011 06:03 PM

138 is actually pretty good. It seems to me it has never been much over 200.

combatpigg 12-30-2011 07:24 PM

CL combat has been a dying sport ever since I got into it over 25 years ago.
How many members are in MACA...?

vertical grimmace 12-31-2011 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

CL combat has been a dying sport ever since I got into it over 25 years ago.
How many members are in MACA...?
Not sure. CL combat is not only so obscure and hard to get info about, it is very hard to fly the planes well. It takes a lot of practice, and I always felt the piloting skill was one of the reasons CL combat is dying off. Ever fly a modern fast combat model with a Nelson .36! It is literally like having a tiger by the tail. That being said, it is the most fun I have ever had with model airplanes. That and pylon racing.

aspeed 12-31-2011 10:30 AM

I love flying my F2D combat, but it is a bit more than I can handle when it is over head. And that is with my old Uktam motor. I am afraid to try the Fora. This summer maybe I'll fire it up for an adrenaline rush. The 80 mph combat seems a bit easier, but not much. I haven't competed for a long time in the c/l combat though. It takes a good pitman(woman?) too. There are a few guys around here that do it. They are all pretty good. They haven't stopped practising since I was a kid, maybe 35 years ago. Not a lot of new blood.

Cross Check 01-05-2012 07:16 PM

The Answer is NO !;) COMBAT IS NOT DEAD !

Tying streamers on model airplanes is the most Fun you can have with them...:D

Ask anyone Watching... They Love It ![8D] ("And Exciting for Spectators" is part of the Rules, I know...:))

"Challenging for Pilots" is a given, but, there has to be some fair ground as far as the airplane performance.

I, (We) are Sold on the Excellent RCCA Safety Rules. (Highly Recommended)

Pick a Class.

Stick with it.

They will Join in...;)

(I fly, CD, Maac Scale Combat WW2(modified 2610) and WW1, that will be Great by 2014 ! [8D])

Go Local. Challenge the closest Clubs...

It is Irissistable ! ! ! (No matter what planes you decide to fly:D)

(I like the Jet, Scale Aerobatic, Scale, 3-D, Heli and CL/FF Pilots...who think they are able to get good at R/C Combat ! ! !:D)

But, that is my Opinion... To be Proved ... Next Match ! ! !

Still looking for a First Place Finish !

Just like the rest of you...:D

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosschekc'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

Cross Check 01-05-2012 07:55 PM

aspeed,

I can get our 'Brewery' sponsorship for a challenge at the "Bean Patch Match"...:D

It would be great to go...

I am undefeated at 1/2A C/L around here... (1978?;))

I have not drunk Coffee for over 25+ yrs...[X(]

I'll get a Tim Horton sponsorship...

And try flying for the FAI Canadian Combat Team !

He He He :D

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

P.S. Do not tell anyone I am left handled, got 'freaky long' arms, very sharp elbows, and have a degree in OctoberFest !
PHD in Polka !
:D:D:D

aspeed 01-05-2012 08:20 PM

Talk with Brad about the sponsorship. It is his field, he will be happy.  I think I was the undefeated champ in 1975 or so in .15 combat.  The other guy couldn't get more than 2 laps with his diesel, so I got it with time. That was it for senior combat at the Nats.  I think a little something stronger than coffee to win the FAI combat or feed the opponents the sponser's samples first?  The 80 MPH combat is fairly well attended too. It is a fun day there even to just watch, or .25 LA race, or stunt or whatever too.  I picked up a .40 stunter to break/practise with recently.

Cross Check 01-05-2012 09:15 PM

aspeed,

I am even better at 'pitting' ! :D

Lets do it !

They will never know what hit/cut them !

:D:D:D

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

aspeed 01-06-2012 07:11 AM

There are no electric starters, and we use bladders you know. I usually do the racing because I don't like wrecking planes too much, but I could learn if I have to I guess. Normally 3 to 4 planes a day. Sometimes they are salvageable but they still need to be ready. I saw you flying at Cobble Hills with the WW 2 combat the one day. It gets pretty intense there.

Cross Check 01-07-2012 05:55 AM

Hi aspeed,

I have PM'd you.

Goal is to enter 80mph CL Combat at the Bean Patch 2012...[8D]:D

Try hand flipping a McCoy Redhead .35/.19, if you want to practice 'pitting' skills...;):)

I'll bet my 'Depth Perception' is better flying CL ! ! !:):):)

Now back to the Topic:

"Is Combat Dead?"...

(Only if you let it die...;):))

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

vertical grimmace 01-07-2012 08:53 AM

No bladders! That is the best way to achieve a consistent engine run. Also, hard tanks can be tough to maintain getting all busted up flying combat. I would allow them. Your speed limit is the only performance limiter you need.

aspeed 01-07-2012 10:10 AM

Sorry, I edited it. I flunked english at school.  The planes are usually F2D combat planes with OS LA or ASP .25's,  and they are set up to use bladders.  I have seen hard tanks used in the old slow combats succesfully though because it was legislated at the time.  There was a bit of sputtering once in a while, but bladders do their own sneaky things too.

Cross Check 01-08-2012 03:31 AM

Hi aspeed,

Thanks for the links.
I'll go to the Balsa Beavers meeting Jan 11th.

Yaro has all I will need.

And I WANT !... one of these eventually ! ! ![8D]:D:D
http://aerohobby.ca/store/index.php?...products_id=77

I have a bunch of MagGP.25s and similar that I used for Maac Scale Combat until the OSFX and MagXLS came along.
They will work, and I can make venturies for them.

I'm thinking a 'bubbleless' unpressurized bladder tank made from a baby bottle liner... Easy to fill and 'burp' with a big syringe...:D:D:D

And Bisson 'Pitts' style mufflers that I have found impossible to break in R/C Combat lawn darts...;)

I'll ask if someone can bring a 80mph combat plane to the Balsa Beaver meeting. (no use me reinventing the wheel)

I'll bring a tape and notepad, and then see if I can come up with a very cheap and nasty version out of coro...

Woo Hoo ! I am getting 'stoked' already ! ! !:D

I think I'll wear my 'Unabashed Combat Team' helmet at the meeting...

To get the 'Psyco-logical' Warfare started early...:D:D:D

He He He...:)

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

P.S. I last flew CL a few years ago... and it was just like riding a bike... within a lap, I was comfortable, enjoying the flight...:)