RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Combat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-combat-94/)
-   -   Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-combat-94/2614119-great-planes-combat-corsair-mustang.html)

miklos 01-23-2007 05:19 AM

RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Thanks for the suggestions, but I already tried one of those mounts on one of my earlier combat mustangs, and besides the holes for the stock mount are already drilled in the firewall. I e-mailed Great Planes and they provided me with the part number for the stock motor mounts which are Goldberg motor mounts. The part number is GBGG0445 and I ordered 2 from Tower Hobbies for $20 delivered. They should be here in a few days and I'll be up and flying again. I will also install a small piece of wire under the forward fuselage to protect the engine on landings as per someone elses post here on this discussion.

miklos 01-30-2007 05:12 AM

Ok... I got the reccomended mounts and surprise, they're not the stock mounts!![:'(] So I'm back to asking for help again. If anyone has any of the stock motor mounts hanging around they wouldn't mind parting with, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

eljimb0 01-30-2007 08:30 AM

I electrified my P51. I have no use for the stock mounts. I don't remember which ones they are in my pile of crap. Do they look like these? You can have them if they are the ones.
jimbo

RCU won't seem to let me load the photo right now
description:
2 black plastic "T" shaped mounts with a triangle "gusset" moulded into one side..

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryItem.cfm?itemID=82867&dummy=6754.3424371417 35&opener=/gallery/galleryCat.cfm%3FmemberID%3D166874[/link]

miklos 01-31-2007 05:34 AM

Yep... that looks like them...
Sent you a PM.:D

daubut 02-02-2007 10:22 AM

Well went and picked up the GP Corsair yesterday got a new OS 25 fx for it. Also going to try a slimline pits and mount the engine upright. This way I eliminate any problems with an inverted engine, mud in the fins, hard to reach glow plug and limits on what I have to remove from the cowl. The pits is going to stick out on the starboard side, two little holes in the cowl for the pipes to exit. Will be installing the engine and cowl tonight. Used Hitec 81mgs throughout. I was wondering if anyone has tryed a larger tank? If so what kind of balancing weight was needed? I should have the plane done tonight and ready to fly tomorrow morning. I will post some pics and let you guys know how it goes. Very pretty plane, packaged well and has gone together without a hitch so far. Can't wait to get this thing in the air.

vertical grimmace 02-03-2007 02:47 AM

Those engine mounts look to me like Sig's. Take a look at this link. I remember them from my Wonder that I built years ago. Hopefully this will help someone. http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

miklos 02-05-2007 08:56 AM

Vertical... I tried both sizes of those and neither one was a direct replacement for the GP stock mounts that come with the kit. One is too small and the other too big. [:'(] I've given up on the mustang and ordered a corsair. [:@] Hopefully haveing the engine enclosed in the cowl will prevent a reoccurence of the mount failures.

daubut 02-05-2007 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well got to maiden the plane this weekend and oh my god what a screamer. I installed the 25fx with an upgraded hobbico solid motor mount, with a slimline pitts. It all fits in the cowl very nicely. I like the way it came out, looks kinda tuff IMO.

******WARNING****** The stabilizer on this plane is way to weak, if you buy this plane definetly stiffen up the stabilizer before you take any high speed dives, you might not be able to pull out. There has been a couple of good remedies allready discussed in this thread. One was to add laminate ply wood to the stabilizer and the other is to add some carbon fibre rods to stiffen up the stabilizer. These options are discussed in this thread so read thropugh and you will find it. I am going to add thge carbon fibre rods to beef it up!

Heres the story, after I had a budy hand luanch the plane for me, luanched with minimal torque roll, one click of right aileron and she flew hands off. I took it around the field a couple of times and then handed it off to a buddy who is a very good pilot! Thank god! He made a big loop and then rolled out into a steep dive at the top, coming down she was screaming, then all of sudden flutter city! The stabilizer broke right in the middle! He came out the throttle and saved the plane from destruction. After he set her down nice and easy we found the stabilizer broken. Well bummer no more flights today. Going to go to the LHS today and get the carbon fibre rods to ftiffen it up.

Besides that the plane flew beautifully I want a 60 size one now with retracts. Love the way she banks, rolls, and holds attitude!

Heres some pics:

borisp 02-05-2007 10:36 AM

Thought you'll go with upright motor mount...

daubut 02-05-2007 11:09 AM

No luck without repositioning the fuel tank. Even with another 2 piece mount I had It wouldn't work, put the engine way off center. So I decided to go with the inverted mount. Do I think it's possible? Yes, but not without some slight mods to the firewall placement of engine and fuel tank. Even with it inverted the engine ran like a champ and never missed a lick. I wish I could have done it upright but no luck and I was eager to put her in the air. I think I am going to go get the mustang now, that way me and a buddy can chase eachother around the field. This plane has been to much fun and only got to fly it for several minutes so far. Looking forward to getting her stab beefed up and flying it again this coming week.

vertical grimmace 02-05-2007 06:18 PM

Miklos, something you can do is drill new holes for a mount that will work. Then you can install those brass threaded inserts into the firewall to accept your bolts. (no blindnuts). This will make it easy because all of the work can be done from the outside. Look at Dubro, they make these and I have also seen them at my local Ace hardware.

Good luck

corvett 03-06-2007 02:08 AM

Just flew my corsair yesterday for the first time. This is number two for me ( I dumb thumbed my first one while on a low, high speed inverted pass). As before the launch we have worked out was great. My buddy and I, as well as the other two guys in our club all had the torqe roll to the left and went in several times. In a post sometime back a long time ago I described the launch we now use and works every time. Just in case it could help someone, we toss the plane as hard as we can at a 45 degree up angle with the plane tiped a little to the right. One of the guys ran an OS 25 , Two guys run OS 32's and I ran and still run an OS 46 FX. Also lamenated 1/16 th ply on elevator. All fly like they are on rails. I know that some don't like the large engines in these planes , but some do , me and my buddies included. Just make sure you build the plane to take the extra stress and strains. I would like to hear if anyone has installed an OS 32 or an OS 46 fx in one of the great planes combat mustangs. The only one at our field was converted to electric, the pilot lost it in the sun and dorked it in.

miklos 03-27-2007 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my new Corsair....
enjoy.

helimunky 03-28-2007 06:46 AM

I have the mustang, im now on my second mustang, and i must say its a great plane! fast enough with a 25 size engine. I cant imagine what they are like with a 32 or 40 size!
the only down side with it, is the underbelly scoop and engine cowl genrally get a bit of a hammering with no undercarriage.
I find over head hand lauching no problem, a gentle through into wind see the plane flight straight out of my Hand.

pics to follow..[>:]

Pappy-86 08-31-2007 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Great Planes Combat Corsair with added rudder and landing gear powered by a Rimfire electric motor.

borisp 08-31-2007 03:00 PM

Nice one!

You've got realy close on that Zero tail :D !

overnout 09-26-2007 10:47 AM

I've had both the corsair and the mustang now; sadly, both met early deaths. I can say that they fly great! Both were fast and agile and no bad tendencies. I lost the corsair due to a stripped elevator servo and I lost the mustang to aileron flutter. It doesn't sound like flutter on the ailerons is common to the P51 but if I were to build another one, I would put a servo in each wing for insurance (corsair and spitfire versions have separate aileron servos). The ailerons are huge on the P51 and the roll rate is exciting.

These planes have also changed my opinion about landing gear on warbirds. I never felt comfortable handlaunching these without a helper. At the same time, I hate seeing gear sticking down on low passes. In the end, I put fixed gear on the P51 with a steerable tailwheel. It was an easy mod and made the plane more practical and added a level of fun with the ability to taxi. I would have really liked to put retracts in it but when you start to weigh the financial cost as well as the additional complexity and weight you may as well step up to a .40 or .60 size bird that has them included and was designed for them Its not impossible, but somewhat impractical...IMHO

If you want a plane with relatively low investment but big on fun and performance, these are great.

Just thought I should add something to this thread as I found the information provided by all of you very valuable.

Mods I felt were necessary:

1.Capping the elevator 1/64 ply above and below the elevator wire joiner.
2.Adding rudder
3. Using HS85 metal gear servos for some insurance against flutter, rough landings and high speed maneuvers
4. The corsair need some strength to the stab. I added a carbon rod.

If you are a speed freak, a big engine and some simple mods can make these plane really cook.

patzane 11-04-2007 12:52 AM

great info

Jinxx 11-08-2007 07:22 PM

One of the guys at my field said that the Corsair is slower than the GP Mustang or Spitfire using the same engines (OS .25FX). Anyone here able to confirm or refute this? I'm trying to decide between the Corsair and the soon to be released P-40 for combat duty but I don't want to handicap myself if the Corsair is indeed slower.

bassman 11-08-2007 09:44 PM

If it's slower it's probably not enough slower to make a real difference in combat. The real problem with the Corsair is the fuselage is wide and it makes it difficult to hand launch by myself. The other planes have narrower fuselages that allow a better one handed grip for launching. I still think the Corsair looks better in the air.

Bassman

miklos 11-09-2007 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I had 2 mustnags, and 3 corsairs and I can tell you the corsair isn't any slower than the mustng. In fact, I still have one corsair and it really moves out. I like the corsair better since when you land, it doesn't catch the engine head in the grass and tear up the cowl like the mustang becasuse the gull wings are lower than the cowl and those take the brunt of the landing. You should however cover the the servos on the wings of the corsair with something to keep the from getting hurt on landings. I happend to have 2 bubble like servo covers from a defunct CMP P-40 that I used to cover the servos and they look excellent and absorb the shock of landings.

Jinxx 11-09-2007 03:28 PM

Thanks Miklos! Decisions, decisions.....I think I was half hoping you guys would confirm that the Corsair is slower so that I could more easily decide between the 2 planes. I ruled out the Mustang and Spitfire already because there are too many at our field. I want to be different, both for ease of tracking my plane while in combat and for the sake of being different :D

patzane 11-10-2007 06:06 PM

I just got the P-51 and it moves out pretty well. I’m running a Evolution 36. Move my battery far back in the fuse to help with balance. We do not have grass at our field and our runway is blacktop. So I add some fix gear for take and landing. Did add little tail wheel to help with turning on the ground. The problem I have if does not flare out on landings as I am not getting enough throw. What have others done to solve this problem if they have faced this?

rcuser002 11-19-2007 05:29 PM

patzane,

You may be too nose heavy and might compensate by using dual rates (1/8 to 1/4 inch more throw) on the elevator and just flick the switch right before you need to land / flair.

Friends,

I have read this thread from beginning to here and haven't seen any pictures of the modification to strengthen the tail feathers.

There was talk of reinforcing the elevator halves with 1/16th ply cap stripping on the bottom and using carbon rods to stiffen the horizontal stabilizer.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, can anyone be generous enough with their time to show how these mods are actually done?

I've decided on the Corsair, by the way.

root aka Bob G

rcuser002 11-21-2007 11:05 AM

Hey miklos,

I don't see any rudder on your Corsair and wonder what your thoughts are as far as it being a necessary mod.

Can you do a hammer head w/ just the ailerons?

What about cross wind situations?

Did you do the stab reinforcement? ........and if so, how??

I'm wondering how to get the carbon rod from tip to tip of the horizontal w/out interfering w/ the rear of the fuselage??

My corsair will be here on Friday (my B'day present to myself) along w/ 4 - 85mg's and a ultra lite RX thats can be programmed for flaperons.

Do you think I'll need them? Even just for fun?

root aka Bob G

ps I'm in Jersey too....JCRCC - out of Allaire State Park.