RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

2 speed/3 speed box for Nitro speed runs

Old 02-21-2016, 11:16 AM
m1tch_87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 2 speed/3 speed box for Nitro speed runs

Hi all,

I am building a speed run car with a nitro engine, looking at the best transmission setup to get the best top end, should I go with a single tall gear ratio or go with a 2 or 3 speed box to get the lower down acceleration then move into top gear.

I will be looking to run either a .28 or .32 engine - not sure what the highest gear ratio the engines can usually pull as I know I could just fit a really tall gear and the engine might pull it but would never max out.

What does everyone usually run?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:25 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Two and three speeds are about keeping the engine in the powerband. So if possible, get some numbers for your motor. Also if you are running a 2wd drag setup I suggest you get a shoe type 2-speed unit. The engagement will be a lot smoother than the dog-clutch like engagement of a cam type and you won't break traction when shifting which might make the 2wd lose control. 4wd? Don't matter. 3 speed is the best though.. The jumps aren't big enough to significantly change engine rpm and break traction.

A good 3-speed is the one from a kyosho mad force or Giga crusher.

i don't know what people use, but I can imagine that a potential fail point of multi speeds is the one way bearing in low gears... Especially cause they are your "hard pull". The kyosho boxes were made for big block motors though.

Last edited by Mopzilla; 03-01-2016 at 03:29 AM.