Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

official drag help thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:09 PM
p8ntball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default official drag help thread

This thread is for anybody to ASK QUESTIONS, show pictures or movies, etc...
Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Quick 1
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: official drag help thread

Thanks p8nt for your involvement in getting this thread running. Word of mouth and Mr ogle from grandmotorsports.com should help alot.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
p8ntball

Thank you very much!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:26 PM
p8ntball

by the way... this thread isnt being used, im guessing that no one has questions??? if you have ?s please ask them!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
captain hobbies

anyone know of tracks in so. cal. prefurably ones that race large scale
Old 06-06-2007, 03:29 AM
MONAROMAN

Checkout the [link=http://www.imdra.com]IMDRA website[/link] they have a list of clubs, mainly 1/10, I remember seeing a 1/4 scale club once on the web but I don't know where in the usa it was
Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM
poe

About how much does it cost to build one of these, and how many types are there?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:59 PM
ahr43

ORIGINAL: poe

About how much does it cost to build one of these, and how many types are there?
Hi poe,

Thanks for asking. It could come in as low as $200 or so, depending on what you have lying around your shop. $400-600 is a good baseline to field a bracket car. We had a lot more than that in our R1E bracket truck. However, that was a conversion from a stadium truck. We don't recommend that. Purchase a drag-specific car. It's much cheaper in the long run. Talking electric here. Nitro, we can't comment on. We don't know. Our R2E bracket / index rail comes in at around $1200, give or take. But, we had to make a number of costly modifications to get the performance we desired. You can come in cheaper than that.

Types? Down and dirty simple: Bracket, Index and Extreme classes. Bracket is a starting line dial-in. Index is a break-out class. Extreme is wide open. These are combined classes, meaning electric and nitro compete against each other. There are other classes specific to electric and nitro.

We recommend you attend a RC drag race near you. Differing geographic locations seem to favor one type car over another. For example, broad brush here, East Caost is Nitro-oriented toward ProMod; Texas a mix of electric and nitro, for the most part rails (dragster chassis). Midwest-MN and IL favor electric FC, TF and Extreme. West Coast, electric FC (Funny Cars and rails). Again, check in with your local race track before you buy. OR, just show up and run bracket. That class is always full and a great place to start.

Hope this helps.

//AC//
Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Quick 1

Is the transmission ratio of a pan car 1
Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
poe

So are most cars custom built or can you actually buy good ones?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 AM
MONAROMAN

Both, you can buy some nice ones [8D] [link=http://www.teamwalbern.com]Team Walbern[/link] [link=http://www.grandmotorsports.com]Grand Motorsports[/link]
Old 06-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Dusklurk

do you think that the gms DragSpec Kit is a good starting point or is there any other kits around that price that would be better i am new to drags but would like to start a new project thanks for any help
Old 06-09-2007, 01:25 PM
ahr43

ORIGINAL: Dusklurk

do you think that the gms DragSpec Kit is a good starting point or is there any other kits around that price that would be better i am new to drags but would like to start a new project thanks for any help
GMS DragSpec is an excellent starting point. Superior handling and reasonable price. You can upgrade it to full BB later if you wish. Team AHR43 has seen many of them fielded in bracket class. They're tough to beat and tough to break. Good luck.
//AC//
Old 06-09-2007, 03:59 PM
ridgewalker

Hello all.I'm trying to build an elctric powered mud runner.I am using the wheely king for this project.I want to build a truck like the ones on tv that fly across a mud drag strip ya know the ones that try and stay on top of the mud and sometimes stall and sink in the mud.What would be a good motor to use?I am now using a hand wound 15t with a 96/15 spur/pinion set up and it does'n get the wheels spinning fast enough quickly.Any sugestions?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Quick 1

Bring your spur down and your pinion up Ex 60tooth spur 26 pinion
Old 06-09-2007, 06:05 PM
ridgewalker

The smallest spur i have is an 87 and the largest pinion i have is a 24.That gives me a roll out ratio of 2.456.With that high of a rollout i thought it would bog the motor down being geared high like that.This is not my area of expertese thats why i'm asking so i will try that.I have these spur gears-87-90-93-96 and for pinions-13-15-17-19-20-21-24.My tranny ratio is 1.87 and my tires are 5.4'' Does anyone see a better gear set up with what i have?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Quick 1

What bodies have you guys found to work on the drag cars outside of the ones currently avaiable thru Gms and Walbern.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:38 PM
NitroRage

Guick1,, Check out Roy Andreson's site RAE... He has some very cool Bodys..... Thanks AC for your help on this,,, John from Nitro Rage RC and Midwest RC Drag Racing Series..
Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 PM
griz11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billy Weeks makes some excellent bodies. Don't think he has a website but you can get in touch with him on his myspace page or www.imdra.com. The willys pro mod body I got from his is flawless. I think he has pro stock and funny car bods now as well. Went to one of those mud drags the other day. Not quite as soft as what you are describing. Sand Dragging is gaining popularity around here. There is a group in Dallas that has built an R/C sand drag track and there are others from what I've been told. I love to go to the sand drags. Nothing like big V8 power and 200 ft of ROOST Haven't gotten any video of the R/C dirt draggers yet but here are a couple of the big boys going at it in Llano Tx.

www.pro****-racing.org/Llano-Drags.html
www.pro****-racing.org/Llano-Drags-602.html

Griz
Old 06-20-2007, 06:46 AM
builder jim

what mtr are folks running in electric's? am using parma chassis, walburn rims and tires, gms steering and wanting to start in super gas /elec, with 4200 mah batt pac? possible 72 spur w/ 28 pinion, is this good? jim