Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

RC JET DRAGSTER

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 PM
JET MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC JET DRAGSTER

Hi all, i would just like to share with you about my dragster project, so here goes. Im building a 1/4 scale rc jet dragster and this thing is a bit of a beast. The motor is a performance pulse jet from italy (Z-JET) which i managed to get unused and still boxed.The chassis is ali that has been hand made and cut,and the rear wheels are go-kart fronts.The car is 7ft 8inchs long and im nearly at the stage of having a rolling chassis,with the front wheel assembly left to do.The rear wheels are in place and the jet and rear wing are mounted.The jet runs on petrol (THIS THING BURNS ONE LITRE OF FUEL EVERY 1 AND A HALF MINUITES) and the fuel tank will be a bag with a KEVAN geared fuel pump feeding the jet. The project has taken sevaral months to get to this stage,but i dont just want to throw something together and say LOOK ive got an rc jet car, i want it to look right aswell.Im keeping the weight down to,so much so that the rear wheels weigh more than the chassis and jet motor combined. I know that pulse jets produce plenty of heat but i think that ive got that sussed by the way ive cut the chassis and mounted the jet. The other thing is that these things make some serious noise,even to the exstent of wearing ear defenders when starting it up.The only problem ive got is that when its finished, is to find someware safe to run it as im sure it will hit some serious speed.I would welcome any ideas as i still need to find various things like a scale crash helmet etc etc. Thanks for now JET MAN
Old 05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Paul Songas

Default RE: RC JET DRAGSTER

Simpson used to make 1/4 scale replicas of real drivers helmets. One of those would probably work good.

Here is a link I found with just a quick search on EBAY.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Larry-Dixon-Mill...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Quick 1
My Feedback: (6)

I would love to see the step by step pics if you have them. That thing will fly.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 PM
nitrohog

Pulse jets are soooooo cool. Im wondering how you are going to control the throttle, fuel regulator? Same with a kill switch?. I would definateally have a falisafe that kills the engine if you where to loose radio signal, expecially with such a big machine. I cant wait to see some pics or a vid. Good luck and have fun
Old 05-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Beasley1

I cant wait to see some pics or a vid. Good luck and have fun

x2 Good luck with the project.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
drag racer

i bet if you found a local dragstrip and asked them if theyd let you run it for a couple passes, they would probably let you, unless it is really busy. ps. that sounds sooooooo cool you gotta post some pics soon!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 AM
jim3d2004

Nice cant waite to see it. I'm biulding a turbine powered ford truck 1/4 scale. Using a JETJOE jj1400 turbine if I ever get it running.[&:]
Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 PM
BretD

Thats putting it mildly, most will glow red hot when in use.
ORIGINAL: JET MAN
I know that pulse jets produce plenty of heat but i think that ive got that sussed by the way ive cut the chassis and mounted the jet.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably won't be that loud if sound level varies from different sizes with jat engines. I recently watched a couple jet car/dragster races at No Problem and I seriously thought my ears were going to explode as they past at only roughly 100mph. If the sound varies depending on size, then you will be fine. (I think)
Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
JET MAN

cheers paul, ive just checked out that site and i will get one. ill be posting some photos soon THANKS FROM JETMAN
Old 06-04-2007, 03:29 PM
JET MAN

Hi jim good luck with the dragtruck project that thing should kick some arse just keep pushing forwards mate and let us no how its going all the best JETMAN
Old 06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
JET MAN

ILL be posting some photos soon but where i am there are no dragstrips around for miles and miles as i live down at the coast cheers for now JETMAN
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
JET MAN

HI NITROHOG im going to run a geared kevan fuel pump so the regulator will give some control of the fuel going in but nine times out of ten these thing just run full frottle or not. The pulse jet already comes with a fuel kill switch on it, its a really nice pulse jet with a machined all ali head/fuel cut off switch and mixture adjuster,the jet is about just over 2 feet in length, a very nice pice of kit but it did come at a price cheers 4 now JETMAN
Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
JET MAN

HI JOHN the jet im running puts out a good few kilos of thrust, and thats quite a punch, so watch this space and yes i think it will fly. cheers for now
Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 PM
nitrohog

It sounds like you are a smart person and have thought things out before tackeling this project. I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see your progress.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 PM
ahr43

Hey JET MAN,

Smashing project old boy! We've read this thread and looked at the pix you are posting. Most impressive.

Your RC Jet Dragster is serious Texas BIG! Gotta love it!

Oh! How are going to stop it? Servo actuated parachute? Disk brakes? Or just let 'er coast to a stop on an old unused WWII British airfield? Will you have sufficient radio range to control it out to its max run distance? What are you using for a radio xmtr and rcvr? Once you begin showing that car around, we think someone will cough up a place for you to run it.

Please keep us appraised. You may have a record setter here. BTW-what is the RC land speed record for jet power?

Back in the day when jets were running the drag circuit here in the colonies - like the 1960s - we affectionately tagged them with the nick name 'bun warmers'. Came from when Art Arfons was exhibiton racing his 'Green Monster'. He sat off to the side of the massive jet engine in a war surplus aluminum seat. Seat got so hot during a run his "buns" got blistered.

//AC//
Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 PM
JET MAN

HI AHR43, I do think that this could be a record breaker, as im sure that with this jet pushing a few kilos of thrust, and the limited weight WHO KNOWS !!!!!!!! Braking is still an issue with the possibility of parachutes and disc brakes. But it will be one of the two, as coasting to a stop wont be an option. Failing that a pair of the wifes nickers may do HA HA.I havnt sourced the radio gear yet but im confident in finding the right one for the job. Cheers JETMAN
Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 AM
griz11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might look into a pair of front disks from a nitro bike. Pat's brakes in Australia makes a very nice alloy set. They come in pairs and are 125.00 shipped to the USA. I have a set on my nitro ducati and they have lots of stopping power. The pads are the craddock type which will take the heat I expect that machine of yours to produce.

Griz