Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drag Racing
Reload this Page >

Finished the car that will be running this year

Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

Finished the car that will be running this year

Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM
justinep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finished the car that will be running this year

Awesome AHR... I actually love the D series motors. I still own a few D3's and D4's, I actually did my first high speed run in a D3 10t triple with 12 1400mah cells and hit 89mph back in 2001 (with a rebuild after every 6 minute run.. ugh) when I was first getting into r/c drag racing and high speed runs. I think you will be better off with the 17t as well... for a while I was using a Reedy Fury 15t handwound and 8 cells in my railster and pulled the most consistant times of any of my cars to date. The Schottky Diode is a monster.. love it. What wheels and tires are you running (I am gonna need to get those).

Romano... That chart from the rusty is F$#^N CRAZY!!!! hahaha. No wonder you couldn't keep the wheels planted or even the tires on the rim. Yesterday was my first day with some hard test & tune on the rustler. Dragging these vehicles is tough stuff.... with an extended wheelie bar I stil wound up on my lid on 90% of the passes. I've been messing with the gearing alot and decided to settle on a 28t pinion over a 3500kv BL and 3s Lipo. Besides my new body being destroyed but, I am more upset that I am still lading on my lid with an extended wheelie bar (SO FRUSTRATING). The rusty is passing the traps at 62 mph but my scaled 60ft/ RT are awful since every launch puts me upside down. I'm not going to give up yet but, I was ready to get back to my awd drag project or back to the L3.

On another note... I really am suprised that more people aren't on the drag racing threads. There's obviously alot of people that are drag racing but, it certainly doesnt show up on these forums. I think this side of the hobby is the best since you have to tune your vehicles (which is the fun stuff), also need great driving skills and of course still be able to fo 100mph passes (unlike road courses). I hope it picks up a bit!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM
snellemin

hey Justin, the rustler is fun to dragrace heh. I was running 3s2p today and had so much traction that I just flipped. My foamies held up great as well. I did destroy the front end a bit after some wild wipeouts. Locking the diff did not help a bit for a straight launch. I still have to ease into it, which kinda sucked.

Now for the Camaro. 4s1p A123 is just too much for it. First pull and it launch like a rocket ending up on it's lid. Even 3s1p is too much for it. 2s is the best it can handle with that body on. I will need to make me a long wheelie bar and a spoiler like AC suggested.

Here's the pic after the first blowover.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
justinep

OH MAN!!! You are having the same weekend I am having... bringing out the new shell, all excited and then the enjoyment of watching our overpowered cars flip and ruin the body! I actually have never seen the Lexan folded over the wheels like that... hahaa!?!?! I was gonna suggest a wheelie bar (extra long)! What is your wheelbase? Did the car flip over backwards on its lid or torque its way sideways and roll over? My rwd touring car/ dragster on a 3s is just a mess upon launch. I cannot get it to stick for a launch.. just spins and cocks sideways (very hard car to drive under a powerload). The rustler however.... is a monster for speed and even hard launches but, the wheelie bar is NO GOOD since I still wind up upside-down (no matter what position on the 3 settings I have it on). I am ordering new fronts and rears and a new wheelie bar tomorrow from Grand Motor Sports (their tires are amazing).

what were your times or did you even get that far down the track? My weekend has been rough myself man.. know the feeling!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 PM
snellemin

My wheelbase is 10.25". It flipped backwards and the rear of the body must of touched the rear tires and it got sucked in. We do headsup runs and whoever reached the end wins. We know how fast some cars go and we figure out how fast we run. My speed chart is pretty accurate, so not to hard to know how fast you are going. We are still working on a timing system, as a new one cost about 2-3 grand. Our club became official in January, so it might be a while before we get enough funds for a decent timing system.

I measured the rpm of the hacker motor and it was near identical to my calculated rpm.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 AM
justinep

yes, your chart is accurate! 10'' wheelbase and you flipped!!! WOW, I have yet to do that... my tires won't hold for that (they will give and spin under a hard load). I just finished my awd drag car (sticking = easy, straight = not so easy). She is very fast though and easy enough to pull through the traps. I tried something different this time... extremely high mah's, moderate voltage (only 8.4v) on a 9200kv motor. Works well for awd
Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
snellemin

I would have to work really hard to get a electric AWD car to go straight. The nitro guys have no problem going straight as they have enough weight to keep them down and zero wheelspin on startup. I did the flipping with the tiny hacker 3500kv motor geared 87/20 with 2.48" tall tires with 4 and 3s A123. I though the batteries where heavy enough to keep it from flipping. I should gone with a bigger pinion and turn down my timing and/or punch control some more. I wonder what that motor would do in a AWD car.

I use the cheapest honey I can find at walmart and use that as my traction compound. I just warm it up in the sun and roll my foamies on a streak of honey, coating them evenly. Instant traction and just need water to cleanup. Has worked great for me so far on the grape soda prepped surface (except when it's too cold out). The koford is harder to clean and I'm not to fond of it. But I do have a bottle with me just in case.

I soldered wires and a female deans microplug at the motor output at the esc(were the motor wires are soldered), to measure motor rpm's with the brushless rpm sensor from Eagletree. Makes it easy to measure different motors on the same car without a fuss.

There is a guy in our group that runs a brushless monster truck. That thing runs on 45 volts and makes 4 pizzacutters in a instant.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
ahr43

justinep,

2 5/8" diam x 1 1/2" wide T.M. Racing on the rear. I'm holding a set of 2 3/8" diam x 2" wide Trinity TRC's in reserve for summer racing when the track gets really slick after the sun goes down in El Paso. Probably go up a tooth on the pinion if I fit them. 18/87 now. 19/87 for the "sundowner" TRC's. Stubby pencil math indicates a 19/87 for the 19t anyway. I plugged in 42-44mph @28Krpm. 'Bout right for a consistent bracket car. Target E.T. is 2.9sec. That E.T./mph range wins lots and lots of bracket races.

This season is the 'Farewell Tour' for the R3E Camaro doorslammer. It's a long story how AHR43 ended up campaigning it. I'm primarily a dragster/rail kinda guy. Age takes its toll. Can't react quick enough to handle a SWB car. Longer w/b is more suited to my slower reaction. But, hey, I'm in it until the end of the regional season racing hard every time.

Yeah, RC drag racing and LSR/Speed Runs are a lot more challenging than most in the hobby give it credit for. But slowly, we're bringing converts over from the dark side...

"Oz"
Old 04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
justinep

wow, I have never used any traction enhancers other than heat. I know guys that use grape soda, honey, Koford, and one guys even uses his own mixture of a dilluted epoxy hardner. I just have issues still prior to even getting into a traction solution for the tires. AWD is definetly a different skill for drag... once the rears start to come out you have to back off the throttle and there isn't any drag radials available for 26-31 mm rims (that I know of). I was testng my awd car in a parking lot today and it is just awesome to drive. my gearing is 18/81 which I well be still tuning out but, the VSM is registering a 68mph top end so, if I can tweak the launch a bit I should have a very consistant time (perfect for bracket). Or I can throw a 4s in her and load her out... haha!!!

Is there any videos of the MT with 45v pulling through her!? I would LOVE to see that thing go... or stand still and shave the tires off the rim! ahah

got any vids ready from your last TNT?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
snellemin

No one has posted any vids of the last TNT. I did take a pic of the 45V monster.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
justinep

WHAT IN THE NAME OF S$^@#$^@$^@$&^*%&^#@%$^@

THAT IS CRAZY
Old 04-01-2008, 06:16 PM
snellemin

It's fast man...it goes by the name of "Jezus". Cause everytime it takes off, you hear people say"JEZUS!!!!"
Old 04-01-2008, 09:36 PM
justinep

HAHAHAHAHA... I NEED TO SEE THIS! I love crazy contraptions

whats it running?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

how did he run last time out? i wished i could have made it. i think i need to order new batteries. i'm just not spinning enough rpm's. i can flip my lsp over on its lid upto around 1/2 of full speed, but i'm running the motor a little warm so i want to move up voltage and gear down a bit. i'm so impressed with my hacker c50 even at <24k rpm. next meet i'll have my yusa out again too going on 12 cell. i think i might keep my tires slipping so i don't blow through my spurs so quick again though.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
snellemin

Tash, Blunten did great. Actually at rest his batteries were at 49 volts on the eagletree. He lost a tire in one of his runs, but overall he did great. He is in need of some better tires and he'll be good to go.

I lost a bid on a c50 hacker last nite, by only 2.50. Blows man. Oh well, I'll just use the money for some other motor.

I'll be setting up at the next TNT, so if you want to see how well your cars run, be there early so you can use the "fresh" track.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:05 PM
justinep

Romano, My bud just got his hands on a Hacker C-50 by buying a largescale foam plane for sale that was bashed with good electronics for $200. Airplane went in the garbage and the c-50 in his truck. I've been looking too, in fact there's one on Ebay now ... wife wont let me blow the cash just yet (pricey year already). But you may want to search on some of the airplane club sites and go through their classified (especially in the glow conversion cat) to find a good c-50.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
snellemin

Justin, thanks for the headsup on where to look for a C50. I bought me a Lehner XL3100 for 75bucks today. Should be here in a few days and I'll see if it's just as good as my 8L hacker. Supposibly it's a 1300watts motor at 80amps.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 PM
justinep

NICE FIND!

I ran with the fellaz last night and realized that we are all way too over powered...hahah (if there's such a thing). One car nailed a curb on the throttle at about 80+ mph in a touring car... turned to dust! I am more nervous running with the guys than having fun. 9 cars in a lot and all of them are 65+mph there's bound to be a problem.. but its fun.

I remember when 35mph was fast to me... ahh the good ol days! Now I'm not satisfied until I hit 120. The L3t has hit 109mph now (2 mph from cliff letts 10l record at 111)
Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
snellemin

109MPH! That's awesome man. I know what you mean about being scared to run with a bunch of fast cars. I'm scared as well. Broken bones aint cheap and I my health insurance premium is high enough as it is.

I'll be running at the http://www.houstonmotorsportspark.com/ this Saturday. SunnyhouTX has a 82mph Rustler with the VXL motor alone and invited me to run with him and B4maz. Mine is a dragster, so I will have to figure out what to do for speedruns.

BTW, I bought me a 9T C40 hacker from ebay. I couldn't help myself...was brandnew and shiny. I lost the bid for the 7T though. And the Lehner that I purchased is coming from Hawaii, from a boater that's on Offshoreelectrics forum.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:06 PM
justinep

Congrats on the C-40!!!! I need one too, badly!

I would love to know what you are running top end in the rusty, you HAVE TO let me know! Best bet is to crawl it there, it's how I do it. My VXL's top speed is 77mph on the VSM w, maxamps 3s (5000 mah), 3500kv Velineon motor, I switched the Velineon esc to the MM (I fried the traxxas esc and getting repaired), 35t pinion, and put bigger wheels and tires with heavy inserts.

That drag strip looks awesome.. I just found out that E-town (here in jersey) does R/C competitions twice a year. I will be attending this august and building something quite special for this!!!

Yeah, I like to drive my cars when everyone else is charging. They make fun of me for this but, we are all too fast (and I am the fastest of course) to be bashing. Especially when everyones got 600-1400 invested in their cars... and I am sick of ordering parts everyday. I also like to keep my cars looking beautiful on the shelves in my "MAN"-ROOM (wife call sit the sunroom but.. haha). I already tanked the Barracuda body with a slight swipe with a curb during an hard launch racing a dragged out tc-5 (which by the way is an amazing car to do this with... he's doing 70mph on 7 cells with no heat).

Good luck today brother
Old 04-06-2008, 05:04 PM
justinep

Oh and I found your boy Sunny from Houston running 82mph in the vxl on 4s. His car is amazingly well built... can't believe how well it behaves on pavement! WOW
Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 PM
snellemin

Sup Justin,

The dragstip was great. I suck at the speedruns and got to do alot of relearning again. It's cool that you have a similar place there you can run in. Can't wait till you start posting your new speed machine.

Yea Sunny is a cool cat. His rustler tracks straight and is fast. He put in a Lehner xl3100 and he couldn't keep it straight with a locked diff. Neither could I and smacked the Rustler into the concrete wall. Needless to say the wall won. My camaro did no good, as I did not have any traction compound with me. I did add a huge aluminum wing on it, that I hammered the nite before. Added some weight as well in the front. I'll wait till Sunday and see how it does at the TNT. My 5yr old son with his frankenRusto got clocked at 35mph. Next time I'll gear it higher for him and see if he can handle the additional speed.

My Rustler will have a new suspension configuration and the batteries will be relocated and change the center of gravity a bit.

Sunny blew his mamba ESC after I let him use my A123 cells.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 AM
justinep

Romano, your rusty chassis is sick! Can't wait to see your new configuration. Nice pics

Five years old and hitting 35mph already!!!!! He'll be making us look like slugs soon. My wife is afraid if we have a son because I will buying TWO of everything then haha.

As for your camaro.. WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!!!! Traction is sooo hard to get and the cars weight distro and suspension/ tire compound is EVERYTHING! Everytime I run the car I have to retune everything from the bottom up or the car is NO GOOD! It's alot of frustrating work.

I'm trying to get Sonny up on these forums.. he has the fastest Rusty out here. His gearing is rediculous but his car is sooo straight. You have a great highspeed scene going on down there, I'm jealous.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
snellemin

Yea, I'm proud of my Son. He is all about muscle cars. He was messing with my little hotwheels ever since he could crawl on the kitchen floor and pushing them accros the floor. Then at 3 when he started to get good with his powerwheels, I upped the voltage gradually from 6Volt to 24 Volts. I just had to increase the brake resistor (50watts, 5ohms)so the tires don't lock up when he brakes.

I'm still trying to convince my wife to race one of my RC's. She is scared to crash them. The TNT's are turning into a family thing, which is great.

Yea, I'm happy that I have 2 things I can participate in right now. Dragracing and speedruns. Both have different challenges and are a blast.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
justinep

That's great that the family gets involved and great work on the powerwheels hahaha. My wife is afraid to run my cars either (and so am I), she some how can find the one post or curb or sewer grate and hit it! But, she allows me to play with them and thinks its great that I do. I know alot of guys that hide all their purchases from their wives hahha. We are lucky men, huh?

My tc-3 is running great and switching it to a 4-5s lipo and stretching the gearing out as well. I hope to make her a mid 90's car... today at lunch I got a 77mph run in the parkinglot with a 3s, 9200kv motor, 24/76 gearing. The tc-3 is such a blast to run especially with the awd drive.. even though under this power she drives like a rwd.

I roasted my MGM esc last week and to be honest.... thing wasn't that great. I will stick with the MM with the BEC disconnected. I was getting better runs with the traxxas velineon esc. BTW.. the traxxas 3500kv motor is the best motor I own... thing doesnt get hot when you gear it to the moon with a 4s.

I was thinking of grabbing a fiego from rc-monster.com .... how do you like yours?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
snellemin

Feigao motors are great for the price. You can tell a difference though between a qaulity motor and a feigao. S-size feigao motors have alot of torque, but their endbells fall off during bashing. The VXL motor is made by Feigao and traxxas choose the perfect KV. I do own several feigao's and love them all. I have 8s 540, 8t and 7t 380c, 6L 380c motors. However the c40 hackers with the same kv are more powerful and much smoother.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.