Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drag Racing
Reload this Page >

Finished the car that will be running this year

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

Finished the car that will be running this year

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 PM
snellemin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished the car that will be running this year

Here's my camaro that I will run for the year. Hacker, mamba and A123 powered. Nothing too fancy or flashy.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 AM
modrodz

Default RE: Finished the car that will be running this year

Now thats a sweet sleeper

Rickey ModRodz Performance
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
snellemin

Thanks man. [8D]
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 AM
justinep

Snell,

I like the way you think! I just finished my 'cuda to go along with my Camaro.... with should have a heads up. I was just in Texas (austin for sxsw) and was thinking of you and wished I bought my car down as we spent a day in Houston.

Love the camaro brother
Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 AM
snellemin

Thanks Justin.

it would of been cool if you were here for our Sunday TNT this weekend.

I added bigger rear tires and allready bend 2 axles. Good thing that they are not hard to make.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 AM
justinep

Your insane! How was the turnout? What where running? How were your times?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM
snellemin

heheh, sorry for the confusion. I meant coming Sunday is our next TNT. I'm hoping to have a better turnout then last time. And if the weather says warm, I'll have some good traction to boot.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM
justinep

best of luck brother!

Here's the new cuda on a 4wd chassis, 4s lipo, 3500kv bl, moderatly geared.. havent ran her yet...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89064.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	914858  
Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 AM
snellemin

That cuda paintjob looks sweet man. It's nice running 4s in a light car.
Might have to get the same body for my next ride and make that hood scoop functional.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 PM
justinep

Mine had an X'acto knife to cut out the scoop intake as well. It's a very small slit but, a little air is better than none!

I like the Camaro body better... you have to cut and tape on the rear-end of the 'Cuda! I didn't know it was a 2 piece body when I ordered it but.. I think it came out nice.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:27 PM
snellemin

A two piece body?! I think I saw something like that at the LHS one of the hpi bodies. Mine was a one piece and as you might of noticed I didn't follow the front dam cutout.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
justinep

Yeah, I wish I did my front air dam like yours... Looks awesome! But, we both have rear-ends that look amazing under the camaro shell (as you know I love to showoff, haha)! Hey, on your chassis... did you fabricate the aluminum motor mounts/ rear axle brace to fit the Fiego?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47966.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	914966  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:59 PM
snellemin

No, that's the stock mount. It's a old school fine design car. There is a guy on Sadragracing.com that sells the exact same car for 200 shipped if you are interested. Cheaper if you ask him to sell it as a roller. I was going to purchase it, but had to back out from the sale.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
justinep

wow wow wow... you could almost put any motor in that bracket! I will go and look! I just finished my rustler dragster... It's not as sweet as yours but, I hope to test her out tomorrow. Where can I find nice skinnys for the front with bearing mounts... I've never seen them for sell but, a local guy has a dragster with skinnys that have a traditional bearing (flanged) that slips on the axle and mounts with a nut not a C-clip. Hard to explain.. but it was sick looking as well as effective.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
snellemin

If you want skinnies in the front, you'll have to custom something. In San Antonio, the guys just put big O-rings on buggies wheels. Some just trim the rims and fit only 1 O-ring. Works great for them. On my next one, I'll just cut up some onroad wheels and fit O-rings on them.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
justinep

huh... I am gonna order a pair of Drag-lites and see how they work. I have buggy fronts on my rusty now but may put the fronts from a bolink dragster i have...

I also need great rear tires. I've been using Jaco's for yeeeaaaaaaaars.. what are you using? I need a good dragcar wheel and tire, nice and tall!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 PM
snellemin

I get my foamies from RC4less.com. I just cut up the inner lips of my rims and glue the foamies on. I true them on my drillpress once the glue has dried. They are about 3.5" tall. I also made hubs that bolt onto the rear axles, which will take any common nitro dragster tire+wheel(which are 3"-3.5" tall).
Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 PM
justinep

You should put your stuff for sale... the chart, wheelhubs, custom make dragsters etc... snellRC haha

Im thinking about designing a ground up dragster myself for summer
Old 03-27-2008, 10:47 PM
snellemin

hehehehe, Actually my DBA is registered as SNELLE-RC. I am going to work on my website soon.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:23 PM
justinep

atta boy... get at it!

I am on my way to my tree to run the Rustler down the straights for few...
Old 03-29-2008, 11:11 AM
ahr43

Nice package Sneele. I wish now I had cut my front dam like you did yours. That's the way it needs to be for RC drag racing. I L-O-V-E that HPI Camaro body too, but at 200mm it really grabs the air under it if the front gets any elevation at all...it wanted to kite in the speed traps if there was any head wind or cross wind at the track. On a calm day it motors through O.K. Having the skirt all the way around to the wheel well like you did is the way to go.

I did cut away the rear of the body up to the molded-in rear bumper line to relieve some air build-up under the body. AHR43 also found that while the HPI rear spoiler really looks neat, it isn't very survivable in a crash. My shop fabricated a replacement out of Lexan. Had to double bend it to get the attack angle and down force it needed. The Camaro trunk lid falls away pretty quickly at the rear.

Bottom line guys and gals, for drag racing the HPI Camaro body, don't cut the front air dam like I did. Snelle did it the better way.

Image below is primarily a body-off chassis shot, but you can also see the aero stuff I talked to above.

"Oz"
Old 03-29-2008, 01:31 PM
snellemin

Thanks AC,

I'll make a spoiler like yours, after mine fails at tomorrows TNT. It has a mild setup and see how well it does. If it does well, I'll go all out in speed.

I did do a burnout last nite in my garage and recorded a 26 amp draw, pulling voltage to about 11volts. Not bad at all, compared to the rustler that peaked at 183 amps!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:44 PM
justinep

AC - I agree as well, I wish I left my airdam like Snell (you are a smart man Romano). Because of that I left my airdam alone in my 'Cuda and raised the front body pins with about a millimeter for clearance. Nice Camaro BTW... What are you running as your powerplant?

Snell - The Rustler peaked at 183!?!? jeeeez.. Chart looks good, let us know what you ran today! Di you ever get your rear tire-pizza cutter syndrome figured out in the Rusty?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:43 PM
ahr43

ORIGINAL: justinep

AC - I agree as well, I wish I left my airdam like Snell (you are a smart man Romano). Because of that I left my airdam alone in my 'Cuda and raised the front body pins with about a millimeter for clearance. Nice Camaro BTW... What are you running as your powerplant?

Snell - The Rustler peaked at 183!?!? jeeeez.. Chart looks good, let us know what you ran today! Di you ever get your rear tire-pizza cutter syndrome figured out in the Rusty?
Hey justinep,

Thanks. PP is a Trinity D6 10x2 flatwire I had lying around the raceshop. It has a Reedy QuadSpec endbell. No speed secret there. It already had the Schottky diode and RFI cap soldered on, so I used it. Turns out it has gobs of brush spring pressure. RC brushed drag cars like that. BUT, where AHR43 races, the track changes to slick-city when the sun goes down. Then the car becomes hard to handle-usually when I need it most-during elims. So, think I'll try one of my 19t Reedy QuadMag Spec motors next regional. R3E Camaro is my "Regional" car. I only race it at that level, so need to keep it super simple, so it'll go rounds with minimum attention while maintaining the AHR43 R2E TFE.

BTW-back when starting to RC drag race-seems like a long time ago-AHR43 had a bracket Rustler. Front wheels were-like Sneele said-cut down buggy wheels. Used TRX Bandit front rims. Cut the inner part off to where just the hub and the outer part of the rim was left. Fitted a single o-ring to the outer part of the wheel. Had to swap out the Rusty axles for Bandits. Worked O.K.

Jeeze Sneele, that chart looks like my last EKG...!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:33 PM
snellemin

Here's the 183 amp chart. It was running the 380c 6L feigao motor with 3s2p geared 54/18.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.