Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

Crashed my Pro-Mod to pieces

Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Brent Davis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed my Pro-Mod to pieces

This is what happens when you use a mugged up battery that won't hold the charge apparently. I ran 4 passes in a row which started out with a 1.88@52 MPH going lean up top. I fattened the top end up a bit and ran a 1.78@73 MPH the next run. I then ran a 1.75@78 MPH with my air gap on the clutch at .010" and then ran another 1.78@77 MPH. So I was consistent and ready for qualifying and that is when the damn battery gave up on me. The first and only qualifying run was a 1.85@70 MPH which was a good run but the car just kept going and going and going until it ran right into the bottom of a plastic trach can and exploded. The front clip broke right off and bent the chassis to pieces. The Kangaroo is fine as it was just sitting there idling when my son got to the car and shut it off. I got home and ordered a new chassis and all necessary parts to get back and running to the change of $587 and will hopefully be back and running this Sunday. Anyways, just ranting over a loss of a great running car on it's way to low 7's and possibly some 6's later.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 AM
nitrohead5300

Default RE: Crashed my Pro-Mod to pieces

Man Brent you were kicking ass !!! That pack that went south on you was that the one I made for you about 6 months ago??[] Let me know if it was. Sorry that we had to find out this way that the duracell batteries were not up to snuff.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Brent Davis

yeah man the car was definately coming around and is getting quicker and quicker everythime I go to the track. The Kangaroo is loosening up more and more and still has a little more pinch to it with the plug out. I have all the new parts on the way.......basically a brand new car with bodies and will hopefully have it all back and running by this weekend. It is the performance of the car that keeps me at it. It was that battery pack you sent me too and since it was small and compact, I could easily get my Pro-Mod 'vette bodies on but I will be using my 1400 mAH battery from now on. It was all along fine but just too big for the vette body. I have some new Nova bodies that will work using that battery as well. These things happen and was not fault of anybody's but my own so don't feel bad about that. It is one of those things that you have to stick with what you know for a fact that works and don't make a change mid-way thru the season. I'll post the new set up when I get it all together.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM
nitrohead5300

Hey Brent you have a PM !! Brent why don't you try lipo ?? Or at least experiment with it this winter save alot of weight. But you would need a voltage regulator and a Lipo charger..
Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Brent Davis

well for no more than running 132' passes and not a 30+ minute main, the regular packs is what pretty much everybody uses and I just tend to follow that lead there. We have two more races to go so that is why I am trying to get 'er back out. It is fun trying to catch up with these quicker guys. I've got a few more things to test and so far with the Kangaroo in my on-road and testing some pipe lengths, it is picking up MPH by the chunks. There's that majic number to get using a boat pipe and I am getting closer by the pass.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 PM
maggio

Hey Brent That Was A Good One ....... Reminds me of my crash at Englishtown Last year. Mine was also due to a lost signal....... Its a bad feeling when you let off the gas and the car is still getting it.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Brent Davis

LOL, yeah Josh that is definately a bad thing to have that thing run away and worse, having over $1800 in it too[X(]. Well we have the new chassis here with me putting it together and you have the two new bodies to paint for me and I know they will be just as good as the 'vette bodies that you've painted for me. I should have the chassis completed by tonight hopefully. I now have a 1700 mAH hump pack to solve the battery issue. It was just too big to fit under the vette body without haveing the body sit up higher up front and that looked ugly that way.

Just give me a holla when you're done with the bodies.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:52 AM
SunnyHouTX

Brent, what kind of radio equipment do you use? Spektrums have built in fail safes that you can program to full brake and zero steer in the event of signal loss.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Brent Davis

I use the JR 75 MHz FM system. It was not the radio though but the battery pack that I had. We tested it on a few other cars on site just on the table and it was bad on those cars too whereas their own batteries worked fine. I was the only one on channel 80 where others were on 75 and less. I did have a junk Spektrum before and got rid of that thing for the JR.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:43 AM
SunnyHouTX

Oh gotcha. I guess if the battery is dying, then there's no power to bring everything down to failsafe mode... DOH. Sorry, misread the original post.

Another great option is to try lithium-ion cells. They can take abuse and will not puff/explode/etc when punctured, say in a wreck like you had. And servos work very crisp with them as well. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Li-Ion-14500-Cylindrical-Cell-AA-Size-3-7V-750mAh-w-Tab_W0QQitemZ280166892147QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLaptop _Batteries?hash=item413b3f8273&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_3127wt_939]Here's a fleabay link to one that I like to use[/link]. Two of them will make a great receiver pack, and I don't use a voltage regulator with them, but you may want to use something like a Castle Creations 10A BEC. You can also make the pack with or without a balance tap, since they are disposable in a way due to the price.

Hope you get everything figured out and get your car put back together quickly.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 PM
nitrohead5300

Brent you really should research the lithium polymer cells over the winter to see if they could give you a weight advantage in your funny car. I talk to representive at Duracell today and he told me that those AAA's cells can take a 1 hr fast charge but they last longer if you slow charge them. Remember I suggested to you to slow charge them at 100ma for 16hrs?? ( post number 1894 "Those Nasty 1/10 scale cars" ...) I think the traxxas fast charger was just too much for the delicate batteries. Good luck with your drag racing. I gonna stick to my large scale having tooo much fun.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Brent Davis

With these cars, light aint always where it's at. My car runs it's best and I can control it at 48+ oz. At 44 oz, it gets loose on the big end and tries to get outta control. Add 4 more oz. and it runs arrow straight and I can almost just use the trigger and no steering at all.

SunnyHouTX, you know what I am talking about with light parts.

Anyways, the new chassis is ALMOST complete with the exception of waiting for my new fuel tank and the new Nova bodies to come back from Josh this week coming up.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:19 AM
au_wozza

Hi Brent
Sorry to see the damage..but a 2$ spring might have saved ya car
Just get a simple lightweight spring that is hooked around the throttle servo arm or carb arm and a solid bolt or anchor at the other end,that applies sufficant tension at full throttle to pull the arm back if power is cut to the servo.You have to be careful the spring is not stronger than say 1/2 the servo's max torque so you dont fry the servo trying to pull the spring.
Wozza
Old 09-26-2009, 06:34 PM
nitrohead5300

ORIGINAL: Brent Davis

With these cars, light aint always where it's at. My car runs it's best and I can control it at 48+ oz. At 44 oz, it gets loose on the big end and tries to get outta control. Add 4 more oz. and it runs arrow straight and I can almost just use the trigger and no steering at all.

SunnyHouTX, you know what I am talking about with light parts.

Anyways, the new chassis is ALMOST complete with the exception of waiting for my new fuel tank and the new Nova bodies to come back from Josh this week coming up.
................Yeah I was wondering about that good luck racing.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
nitrorevo

Damn Brent, sorry about the damage to your car man. That was one mean looking P/M. I thought I was haivng bad luck with batteries and my Spektrum. I did finally jump into the game and pick up that used P/M I sent you pics of. Getting the car setup was a beast, but I enjoyed it. Glad I went used, cause I was all over the wall two weekends ago in Fuquay. I had the steering servo and linkage screwed up a little, and coudn't get the car to track straight of chit, I tried everything at the track with no luck. I ended up pulling the front end off and noticed the front axle was slightly bent where the original owner was trying to get the car to sit lower.

My best run was 2.4 @55mph, which was terrible IMO. I made a gearing and clutch adjustment and learned the car was not shifting, and launching from second due to the 2 speed shoes had no springs LOL. That's what happens when you don't go through every inch of a used car.....but I did feel better about my times at least. I should break 2.0 early next year, and work my way down from there. I came in at 48oz. and the engine pulled strong. Here are a couple of pics. I had some of those nice chrome front wheels like you, but the first time into the wall did one of those in....I had to go back with a funny car front axle for now, that was all Floyd had, and I wanted to get the car back together just in case there was another test-n-tune. Gonna get a new split window vette body as well. I added the black accents to the outside of this was....all red paint job cause it looked kind rough, but functional.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Brent Davis

au wuzza, yeah I did have a $2 return spring on my car but it didn't help and it works great when the battery was fine.....oh well. Thanks for your input though.

nitrorevo, yeah I remember that chassis now. Well, you see the dealings with used stuff even though a new chassis is $285 but without all the fancy screws and other goodies that you got but it was worth it as well. I just go new so I know fo sho. Go ahead and order you up some new wheels and O-rings and those little c-clips that hold the wheels on. New rear tires on hand are a must as well.

I wouldn't worry about the ET's yet until you are solid with the car and driving it. The quicker they are, the harder they are to drive. Is that the ABmods Picco P9R on the car? If so, let me know how well it runs against the other modders stuff out there against B&E Racing. BTW, Did that fuel tank come with the car or do you know which one that is?

Here's my latest new car with two new bodies that were painted and delivered within a few days thanks to my man Josh

Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 AM
au_wozza

au wuzza, yeah I did have a $2 return spring on my car but it didn't help and it works great when the battery was fine.....oh well. Thanks for your input though.
Mate that sucks,and I thought I was the unluckiest person to walk the planet
Wozza

Old 09-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: au_wozza
Mate that sucks,and I thought I was the unluckiest person to walk the planet
Wozza
LOL. Out of about 15 guys that race at our local track, about 9 of them have had cars destroyed like I did so I don't feel soooo bad. This stuff happens though and for those have all the pretty cars ans chit, well you aint running that car.......just a show thang.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:26 PM
nitrorevo

nitrorevo, yeah I remember that chassis now. Well, you see the dealings with used stuff even though a new chassis is $285 but without all the fancy screws and other goodies that you got but it was worth it as well. I just go new so I know fo sho. Go ahead and order you up some new wheels and O-rings and those little c-clips that hold the wheels on. New rear tires on hand are a must as well.

I wouldn't worry about the ET's yet until you are solid with the car and driving it. The quicker they are, the harder they are to drive. Is that the ABmods Picco P9R on the car? If so, let me know how well it runs against the other modders stuff out there against B&E Racing. BTW, Did that fuel tank come with the car or do you know which one that is?
Yeah Brent I had a few minor issues, but the extras were worth it. Once I get the new P/M axle to replace the funny car one, I'm all good. I did get an extra set of rear and front tires from Floyd while I was there....the cheaper plastic one's LOL.

Nice paint jobs on the new bodies. I also like your pipe out front. Tried it, but I have to get my longer front axle first so it doesn't hit the tires. I hear you on the ET's, but I know my times will fall fast with the two speed working and keeping my butt off the wall. My boys B&E said the car ran pretty good. I think they were actually impressed with the passes considering the issues I had, and I did 95% of the setup myself after stipping it down and cleaning it. B&E were dropping 1.7's with the F/C that day if I remember right, and 2.0's with the sport street 1/10 scale(Black Superman). Damn that's putting it down. I had a best of 2.4(off the wall), best of .354 6 ft. (2nd gear launch), and best 55mph. My reation times are good, just got to pull everything together and drop from there.

I honestly think the P9R has close to the same power as the other engines out there, but time will tell. The Picco will not last like the Nova, but with a 1oz. tank, it will last lon enough for me to get tired of it and switch. I know it can run with the Cordoba, and the P9R actually tested with more power under the curve than the Xenon, according to the Dyno pulls. I will let you know how that translates on the track, but IMO probably not enough diffference to justify the tune of $750 or so on a 35+21 or the Flash right now, maybe later. The P9 has less than a gallon on it and is still tight. I leaned the needles down slightly on Saturday just idling some tanks threw it, but it ain't ready yet, still really tight, so got to go back completely flush until the pinch is gone.

I have the tank that came with the car, and a new Walbern(sullivan) tank I ordered as well, but I will keep it in the plastic LOL. After a couple fills and spilling fuel over the damn car and running lean at the bottom of the tank, I had to make a quick change. Had to get something with a lid and a nice flow...right down to the last drop no matter how you hold the car. I modded the Walbern tank mount and it's a perfect fit. A lot shorter as well. It's from the Xray. I have the part # if you need it, but it was pricey, like $18 bucks, and only $5 for the Walbern, but well worth it IMO. If that back chassis plate is good, let me know, I may need a cheap start for a pro-stock build later.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 PM
SunnyHouTX

Brent, good to see your car is coming together fine. And yes, I like light parts as well Getting ready for the Worlds right now. Gonna go hunting with my funny car and TF rail.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 PM
nitrohead5300

Glad to see you have everything back togather !!! Good Luck racing.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Brent Davis

Made some minor changes by adding a NTC3 fuel tank instead of the RS4 tank off the side of the car. Made a pipe hanger as well and of course finished the body up and on the car for testing this Sunday.

I am also running the dual plug head button too and it DEFINATELY makes more power. When the car fires on one plug and I touch the other one with the igniter, the engine idles higher and revs alot cleaner. I just had to set the deck height to .024" and let 'er rip.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 PM
maggio

Hey Brent I might be Over to check you out sunday, Depends on how Dirt Oval racing goes Saturday. You need to show some of them other guys what a chassis set up is supposed to look like because yours is always Tight & Clean..... Figured I would Put A Picture Of My Dirt Oval Late Model on here so you could see it before I bust it all up Saturday
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50712.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1285166  
Old 09-30-2009, 06:27 AM
nitrohead5300

Your car looks great. It looks fast standing still. Nice layout.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM
nitrorevo

Made some minor changes by adding a NTC3 fuel tank instead of the RS4 tank off the side of the car. Made a pipe hanger as well and of course finished the body up and on the car for testing this Sunday.

I am also running the dual plug head button too and it DEFINATELY makes more power. When the car fires on one plug and I touch the other one with the igniter, the engine idles higher and revs alot cleaner. I just had to set the deck height to .024'' and let 'er rip.

Much cleaner install with the NTC3 tank. Looks lareger than my 30cc tank, but it fits good. Man that dual plug head look intimidating. You got to be making a lot of power. I see some 1.7's in your future.

I see you didn't up grade the the rear end gear to the aluminum, or the two speed upgrade. How does the plastic rear gear hold up to that much power? Let me know about the chassis from my other post. Good luck this weekend. I think B&E are heading to Texas to fight the big dogs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.