Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drag Racing
Reload this Page >

Nitro pro stock/pro mod chassis

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

Nitro pro stock/pro mod chassis

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 AM
ruffrider28435

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro pro stock/pro mod chassis

I thinking about building a nitro pro stock are pro mod chassis car and i have been looking around at who makes the best chassis to go with. Does anyone have any suggestions? I found one company that has the set up with adjustable motor mounts to run a big black are small block for around $285. I have seen some for $119. For this drag set up whats a better motor to go with small block are big block? Right now i drag race my kyosho inferno gt2 with a lrp 28 spec3 truggy engine wich does very well. Also with some of these kits out there does the body, trans(if so are they two speeds?) fuel tank and motor mounts come with the kits and i have noticed some have wheelie bars is that something extra you have to buy?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Brent Davis

Default RE: Nitro pro stock/pro mod chassis

teamwalbern.com is one of the most popular chassis out there but you can also go with a grandmotorsports.com chassis as well and they are nice units.

If you run Pro-Stock, you will have to run a small block of .12, .15 or a .18 sized engine. That is the max size motor that you can run in Pro-Stock.

If you want to run Pro-Mod, you can run a small block but also up to a .21 or larger as well. Run a .21 and hang on. Search my name up and you can see some of my posts and cars that I am building and drag racing.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 PM
nitrorevo

I would start here..

http://www.dragraceconcepts.com/Chassis-Kits_c11.htm.

Also, if you go with the Pro-mod chassis, and decide to test Pro-stock later, the wheel base on the chassis can be adjusted down.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Brent Davis

http://www.dragraceconcepts.com/Chas...5.qscstrfrnt02

Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 PM
ruffrider28435

I think i am going with the promod kit. Do most guys run the single spped stock trans are the two speed set up?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Brent Davis

2-speed is the way to go with the belt drive cars. They do make a direct drive single speed chassis as well but IMO it puts alot of strain on engines because they have to pull harder and RPM more to get the car moving and that stresses the engine and causes damage like a busted piston

by the time you pay $285 for the kit, upgrade the 2-speed trans with the Mugen one at $55, get your digital servos at $120 for both, fuel tank at $20, body at $35, modded motor at $450, pipe at $60, centax clutch at $50, wheelie bar at $35, fuel and other extra parts that you need like plugs, rear tires, axles because you will bend some. you need to have $1500.00 for a complete ready to run car.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
nitrorevo

ORIGINAL: Brent Davis

2-speed is the way to go with the belt drive cars. They do make a direct drive single speed chassis as well but IMO it puts alot of strain on engines because they have to pull harder and RPM more to get the car moving and that stresses the engine and causes damage like a busted piston

by the time you pay $285 for the kit, upgrade the 2-speed trans with the Mugen one at $55, get your digital servos at $120 for both, fuel tank at $20, body at $35, modded motor at $450, pipe at $60, centax clutch at $50, wheelie bar at $35, fuel and other extra parts that you need like plugs, rear tires, axles because you will bend some. you need to have $1500.00 for a complete ready to run car.
+1 on that Brent.

ruffrider, if you don't have to go new on everything, I would recommend searching around to pick up a pre-owned chassis with as many of the goodies Brent mentioned as you can get. I already had a fairly competitive modifed engine .21 and picked up a deal on a pre-owned pro-mod chassis fully loaded and my order to Dragrace Concepts was still about $250.

Keep in mind that when buying used, prepare to put more time in your setup, going threw the car screw by screw and cleaning up the mess from the prior owner. I spent days getting my car track ready for my big day. After two passes, and learning how to read my time slip, I realized my car was not shifting. Had to pass my next round runnning late trouble shooting and still couldn't get the car to shift. Had to pull the entire two speed off, finally realizing the two springs in the shoes to adjust the shift point were missing. A full day at the track, and only made two passes.......GRUUURRR!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: nitrorevo
+1 on that Brent.

ruffrider, if you don't have to go new on everything, I would recommend searching around to pick up a pre-owned chassis with as many of the goodies Brent mentioned as you can get. I already had a fairly competitive modifed engine .21 and picked up a deal on a pre-owned pro-mod chassis fully loaded and my order to Dragrace Concepts was still about $250.

Keep in mind that when buying used, prepare to put more time in your setup, going threw the car screw by screw and cleaning up the mess from the prior owner. I spent days getting my car track ready for my big day. After two passes, and learning how to read my time slip, I realized my car was not shifting. Had to pass my next round runnning late trouble shooting and still couldn't get the car to shift. Had to pull the entire two speed off, finally realizing the two springs in the shoes to adjust the shift point were missing. A full day at the track, and only made two passes.......GRUUURRR!!!
man that sucked. For me, buying this stuff new is "MY" only preference. I am not against used parts from people I personally "KNOW" though but had you known that the guy left off the clutch shoe springs, then you would have had them for your track day. What a bummer. Well you should be ready for 2010 now though and with as good as a chassis as you got, I am sure it will run well for you.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 AM
ruffrider28435

I have another question is rj speed a good pro mod chassis. I have noticed that you can only use a small black with a short shaft which is a down fall to be able to use only a small block But are these chassis any good?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: ruffrider28435

I have another question is rj speed a good pro mod chassis. I have noticed that you can only use a small black with a short shaft which is a down fall to be able to use only a small block But are these chassis any good?

Before you purchase ANY chassis, go to a IMDRA drag race or any other RC sanction race for that and see what people are using and I bet $1000 you won't see a RJ speed ANYWHERE! I am telling you, Walbern or Grandmotorsports for two speed chassis's and Eric Johnson or Nitrodynamics for a direct drive single speed. Don't try the cheap route if you are trying to be competitive.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 AM
ruffrider28435

You just made my mind up for me. I have been compareing the two looks like i can't go wrong eitehr way.Walbern or Grandmotorsports.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM
nitrorevo

man that sucked. For me, buying this stuff new is ''MY'' only preference. I am not against used parts from people I personally ''KNOW'' though but had you known that the guy left off the clutch shoe springs, then you would have had them for your track day. What a bummer. Well you should be ready for 2010 now though and with as good as a chassis as you got, I am sure it will run well for you.
I hope so Brent, I have enough time and cash into it now. I just lack experience. I was able to get some .419 reaction time and .403 6 foot that day, which B&E said was a good start, but with no second gear ET's were a terrible 2.4. I will keep your advice and be patient for the ET's to come down. The jury is still out on the AB Picco P9R. If results are not good, I see one of these in my future.

http://www.nitrodynamicsusa.com/shop...ied-engnes.php

ruffrider, 8 of 10 guys run Walbern chassis at my track. The others run some form of Direct Drive. There is a lot of support for the Walbern and with so many guys running it, you can always get some setup help. Check the IMDRA website like Brent said and see what's available in the Drag Mart, good luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Brent Davis

Nitrorevo, yeah man trust me on taking your time to know the car and driving it before really concerning yourself with the ET's. That'll come with time but don't hold too long. The P9R should be a contender but I know NOTHING about that engine other than it is not Novarossi. I am sure that it will run fast but NOBODY that is running fast is using Picco, Go, JPX or engines like that. They are all Novarossi based engines.

The nitrodynamics engines are serious bad motors too and cannot go without notice. Melvin Alston uses that engine line and you see how his stuff runs. B&E and myself are gonna stick with out man RBmods and with my new Kangaroo, uht oh. We found some more power plus I have a JP R03 that is supposedly nastier than my new Kangaroo but we'll see.

Keep me posted on your progress.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
maggio

Ruff I Personally Run GMS & Walbern Cars .... I Like them because they work great and the price is right . My Personal Preferance is Walbern For Nitro And GMS Or Walbern For Electric... RJ Speed cars are really a Budget racers Ride , You get what you pay for if you know what I mean..... There are a few other P/M Chassis out there that look great I cant Speak for them though cause I have never used them... I have Won 6 National Events and Runner up at lots of others using a Grand Motorsports Car But It was When I was Running Electric .... I only went to one Big race With My Walbern Nitro Car and Did well with it Considering it was my first time out with it... And as far as New and used Goes 99% of the time I buy New , But as Brent says some time I will buy used frome some one I know , And Thats only Becasue I know the Stuff and I know how it was cared For .... So long Story Short If I were to build a NITRO P/M tonight It Would Be a Walbern Car. They Also Have went Above and beyond to get me stuff ASAP so I could make races that came up in short notice

JOSH MAGGIO
Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 PM
ruffrider28435

Thats which one i have my eyes on . This is one of the projects i plan to start on the first of the year. I just put a ipenema black hawk transmission in my inferno gt2. Big difference between stock and this transmission.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
RBMods

Brent's the only one I know that would stick a Nova Rossi on a baby stroller.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 PM
nitrorevo

ORIGINAL: RBMods

I agree. I can see that stroller now coming down the drag strip with a pair of your modified KANGAROOS and MAC boat pipes!!! LMAO
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Brent Davis

ORIGINAL: RBMods

LOL.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:44 AM
janek1

Hehe good modifications and if you need something extra to see it serial number nitro pro 9 the best nitro for cars