Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

New to drifting, need help and recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

New to drifting, need help and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:04 PM
kent_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to drifting, need help and recommendations

I'm wanting to get a nice drifting setup. It will mainly be driven in the culdesac in my neighborhood. It is asphalt, but not the sealed super slick type. It has regular road debris like little pebbles, but nothing major. My point is that it's not a groomed track. That being said, I think I may be leaning towards shaft driven. But I'm no expert, if belt is better by all means recommend it for me, but if belt is at risk to constant breakage under these conditions I would like to stay away.

What is the best kit or RTR for me? I don't like the fixed non adjustable setups. I find tamiya's chassis names confusing alphabet soup. Is there any kind of comprehensive resource available. I don't have any particular brand in mind, but I would probably prefer a kit, as I like to build.

Thanks, I know this is asked all the time.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM
kingJurzy

Default RE: New to drifting, need help and recommendations

Srry this is short but lean towards a cyclone. These cars are top of the line, including the oldest model I know of (the Cyclone S).
The diffs are opened so rocks can't get stuck and everything about the car is harmony. It is easy to maintain and awesome if u can find a good priced tcd,  tcx, or tc

p.s. look for a tcd it is really the best car I have ever toured with and drifted with.

p.p.s. join hyperdrift.com/forum it is the best and fastest growing drift forum I know of. Go to youtube and tyoe in hyperdrift and go check out their vid's it's what got me into the sport!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:54 PM
kent_man

Cyclone's too salty for me, maybe down the road. I'm liking the HPI sprint 2 drift, there are a lot of hop ups and it's more straight forward then the tamiya stuff.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:07 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: kent_man

Cyclone's too salty for me, maybe down the road. I'm liking the HPI sprint 2 drift, there are a lot of hop ups and it's more straight forward then the tamiya stuff.

Looks like you have your mind made up. The Sprint 2 is a good choice.

You'll still have to open up the rear diff cover, to avoid debris damaging the belt. It's a bit "big" inthe booty,but three ounces or so, of lead weight on the front bumper will help even out weight distribution. A front one-way diff helps immensely with turn-in, too. I have one, and it's a great little drifter, after all those mods. For the price, it's a good one to start with.

There's a lot of threads dealing with Sprint 2 mods andadjustments here, you might want to take a look, and see what others have done, to make the Sprint 2 better.

Good Luck!

Oh, BTW, I have a "fix" for the Sprint 2's sloppy steering. It's at the Sprint 2 thread below this one. It was also published in the last issue of Extreme Rc Cars Magazine. It works! I've been drifting crazy for the last five months, and the steering's still tight. The slop is inherent in it's design, but tightening it up won't cost you anything but an hour or so of time.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 AM
MaddMatt

Get yourself a TC-3 used off of evilbay, They are shaft drive, and pretty cheap. The driveline is closed up so you won't get any pebbles jamming you up. I have one TC-3 and also have a Cyclone. I like the cyclone, But the TC-3 is bullet proof. I wouldn't think twice about running that TC-3 on dirt! I drift my Cyclone in side on carpet.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:01 AM
leadfootdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gokemidoro you got published?!? lucky you thats awesome scro I might be buying another Sprint 2 so I can try out the Idea I had I finally took your advice I had been planning on it just hadnt tracked down all the stuff I needed but yes there is not any slop left in my steering and the way my car drives now is wicked and I finally mastered getting my car to do a 360 at top speed and can get it going back in the same direction no prob its so much fun. kent_man do the front and rear diff mod before your tires even hit the street you will be happy you did and if you need help with this chassis just ask and you will recieve whatever help you need
Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM
kent_man

I don't see the post about the steering slop mod. Do you have a link to this mod.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 AM
leadfootdriver

Ill post it if gokemidoro doesnt get to it first! lol
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM
kent_man

What is the front and rear dif mod that I would need to do? Do you have a link to this mod?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:15 PM
gokemidoro

Leadfoot,

Go for it, man! See if you can find the pic w/ the rear diff cutout, too. I tried, and couldn't find that one, either.

kent_man, The rear diffcover mod is easy, the dissassembling is the hardest part. Since doing that mod (and there are more than a few here who have done the mod), I have had no problems with debris or damage to the rear drive belt.

Yah, I got pubbed in RC Driver mag the same month too, and Tony Phalen replied! Cool.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 PM
leadfootdriver

That's awesome man now I want to find that issue. anyways here you go kent_man this is my chassis Ill find a stock diff pic to I used a small handsaw that I have no clue where it came from but I doubt you could find one like it so use a hand sized band saw and gokemidoro I cant find that thread can you?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 PM
leadfootdriver

gokemidoro Here's one I looked through some of your posts to find it http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9820895 is this the right one?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 PM
gokemidoro

leadfoot,

That's the one! Kudos for finding it!

kent_man,

Follow these instructions, and you'll have tight steering on the Sprint 2. Leadfootdriver's pics also show a front one -way diff (The purple one). The reason you can see the diffs is because of the mod. There is a cover molded into both halves of the bulkheads. You need to cut them off, and there will be room for debris to escape.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
leadfootdriver

Thanks man if I has to search through all my posts I'd go crazy!!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:25 PM
kent_man

Thanks a lot guys for all the help. I have one more question would I be better off just buying the sprint flux and adding drift tires? Are there any advanteges to the sprint drift vs flux besides the motor, esc and tires?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
gokemidoro

Thanks a lot guys for all the help. I have one more question would I be better off just buying the sprint flux and adding drift tires? Are there any advanteges to the sprint drift vs flux besides the motor, esc and tires?

It just depends on whether you want brushed or brushless. Since you don't need all the power brushless provides, the only consideration at this point is price.

Be aware that sooner or later, you'll have to replace the brushed motor in the "standard" Sprint 2. If you do get the Flux, the power would have to be "detuned", or you will have to develop aVERY sensitive trigger finger. Another trick is installing a smaller pinion gear, to smooth out power delivery. Say, 18-20T.

For tires, go to raikoudrifttires.com and check out what they offer. I run all the types you will see there, and they pretty much cover every surface I run on. The prices are very reasonable, and I swear by them. Buying tires from HPI can cost a bundle in the long run, and they charge by the pair. Raikou charges by the set. You get three FULLsets of tires for the price you see at the website! Their compounds are better performers than PVC, in my opinion.

Let us know how it went!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 PM
leadfootdriver

Yes its just a matter of price now I've driven the flux it's got a lot of power more than a beginner needs and it still has the steering slop problem and it took eleven months of drifting everyday to kill my motor and I didn't even break it in or shoot compressed air through it every now and again and if you want the same one it's only 15 bucks to replace so it's up to you don't spend money you could spend on hop ups to make it drift better but again that's just my one opinion
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 AM
gokemidoro

Yah, second leadfootdriver's recommendations. For the price, you could get a front one-way, CV driveshafts and drift tiresif you go "standard" Sprint 2. If you wanted to go brushless later on, you are already set up for the extra power. If you go Flux, you just burned up that cash just for the brushless, which is not really needed, right now.

The Sprint 2 is not set up for drift out-of-the-box. The mods previously described are essential for it to drift well. It's been an adventure with mine, and leadfootdriver will probably tell you the same.

Whatever you decide, let us know how it turns out!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
kent_man

I think I'll go with the sprint 2 drift and get a few hop ups with it. I won't be able to buy it until next month at the soonest. I just sank some money into my sc10 and the wifey won't be too happy to see another RC showing up at the door step. I also need to get a new radio. Stupid budget!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 AM
gokemidoro

!LOL! I KNOW what you mean! I'm on one, myself, and it's not always easy!

Yah, study up on hop ups at the HPI site. They have all current hop-up parts available for Sprint 2's there. You can buy them cheaper elsewhere, but the site will give you the entire list.

Tower hobbies has an in-house2.4 Ghz radio for $79.99. It's bare-bones, but it's the best price for a 2.4 Ghz . I don't know of anywhere that sells a 2.4 Ghz radio for less. Maybe someone out there knows????
Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 AM
leadfootdriver

Yeah I'm on a budget to I get to spend 50 bucks every other month on my car and this month I have to buy a whole set of tires and two new belts I finally shreded both after the diff mod I got a bottle cap stuck In the arse end of my car and a nice big chunk of broken glass in the front wooo! parking lot of football stadium bad place to drive any belt driven car I learned and this chunk of glass was huge My buddy was driving his E-10 with me and he had rubber road tires which you guessed it they got cut up and I mean cut up to where you could see the rims showing through in like twelve different places on each tire

yeah kent_man you van get the list of all the hop ups from hpi's site but buy through Rcplanet.com you will save a bundle which means more hop ups if i went through hpi when I upgraded my chassis I would have been able to only afford buying a front one way and the universal dogbones but I went through rcplanet got the ball differential the front one way and the universal dogbones and was able to buy a new motor
Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM
ThEoNeS911

Go on fleabay and look for a Traxxas 2.4GHz radio system, they go for around $40-$50
Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 AM
gokemidoro

See kent_man?

Things are looking up already!

Let us know how things go!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 PM
str8.krooked

Hey kent_man,

It looks like you got more than you bargained for on this one! Awesome that you are up and running.

When you get a chance, also check out coloradodriftrc.com, our Colorado based club is growing. We have some good videos up. We are all very friendly and out to have fun drifting. The forum has a ton of topics/answers/tips etc.

Hyperdrift has some of the tightest videos on youtube. They are really friendly too, so if you have questions, hit them up. I'm going to join thier forum today. I didn't realize they had a site going...duh!!