Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Converting a TT01-E to a TT01-E(D)?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Converting a TT01-E to a TT01-E(D)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Sal911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a TT01-E to a TT01-E(D)?

Hey guys, so i have a complete stock TT01E, the only thing ive changes is the bearings to metal ball bearings. Havent used the car much, its practically brand new and I know absolutely nothing about the car lol. My objective is to convert my tt01 for drifting, i know you can buy drift tiers but there has to be more things to change other then that....I need some help, i want to convert this to a good drift car, my budget is 100 bucks CAD....

Some help would be insanely appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:45 PM
gokemidoro

Default RE: Converting a TT01-E to a TT01-E(D)?

Actually, the TT01E is better fitted than the D model- more adjustability. That's really the only thing that separates the E from the D.

Drift tires are all you'll need, besides a good-looking drift body!

Post pics!!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Sal911

haha yeah I did some more reasearching and came up with this BUY list.. actually i followed this thread, I might take your suggestion and buy a TZ motor and buy some tires and see how that goes, if i want some more drift how does this list make up?? I really wanna get the best drift I can...

23 pinion/58 spur
Tamiya TZ motor
Engine heatsink
alloy main shaft
front and rear sway bars
Carbon upper deck ( is this the same as a carbon upper frame?? for the sway bars right?)
oil shocks ( what springs and oil should I run?)
whels
tires
adjustable upper arms ( do i need 2 sets of these? one for front and other for rear?)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:24 PM
gokemidoro

Heheh!! Bling is good!

As far as the motor, go with something that puts out smooth power. You need not go for max speed.
You should also get the TRF dampers (shocks). They're very good, and will complement the handling of the chassis.
Adjustable upper arms? aren't the E model's already adjustable? At least in front?

You won't need sway bars for drift.

Heat sink, Carbon top plate and alloy main shaft are great additions- especially the main shaft.

Go here for tires: Raikou Drift Tires

They have many types and compounds that will work for you, and Irecommend the DXPE's and D68's. They are very affordable, and last a looooooooooong time!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Sal911

Hey Goke thanks for the fast reply!

So I priced out everything and its about 100 bucks damn.......good thing you told me i dont need 2 things from the list I dont wanna pass 100 bucks.

How are these tires?? http://cgi.ebay.ca/16-Sushi-DRIFT-RC...item43a41e3176

So, so far on the WTB list...

23 pinion 8
58T spur 7
Tamiya TZ motor 30
Engine heatsink 10
alloy main shaft 12
Carbon upper deck 20
oil shocks 26
whels 10
tires 15

What motor do you suggest goke? and shocks of course.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
gokemidoro

Raikou's Slicks, Rinia's and Dyuaros are made of the same material, and wear exceptionally fast, compared to the DXPE's and D68's. That's why Irecommend the DXPE's and D68's. I have an original set of DXPE's I mounted more than a year ago, and they're STILLsliding!!

They show little wear, after all that drift time, and from what Ihear, the D68's can't be killed!

Save your bucks, dude, and go Raikou!!

O.K., I recommend staying with stock gearing for now, and get the TRF shocks. Believe me, they are the best you can buy. The higher-end TA05 series comes with them, and for good reason.......They are smooooooooth! Next to the Alloy shaft. the shocks are the next best upgrade you can make to your TT01, and when you upgrade to a higher-end Tamiya, take the TRF's with you. I guarantee you, TRF's are some of the best!!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Sal911

Alright sooo.... this is the updated list...

Tamiya TZ motor
Engine heatsink
alloy main shaft
Carbon upper deck
oil shocks
whels
tires

What motor would you reccomend to replace the tz? do i really need the carbon upper frame?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 PM
gokemidoro

On the motor, you could go 21 or even 19T. It doesn't have to be a Tamiya, because I'm sure you could find a suitable alternative for less.

The carbon top plate is your decision. Sure looks nice though, don't it?
Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 PM
gokemidoro

I've just looked up the TZ, and it's been discontinued. That means the replacement brushes, if they are unique to that motor, won't be available for long, if at all. It's also pretty costly, for a brushed motor. Keep looking, as I've found motors in the $35-$45 USD range that are suitable alternatives, but I don't know what your preferences are.
There are even motors in the $20 USD range that are rebuildable!!

If you find a suitable alternative for less than the TZ, you will be able to afford the Carbon top plate!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Sal911

the carbon looks sweet but ill pass on it as for motors, im still searching for a cheaper/better alternative.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Sal911

ORIGINAL: gokemidoro

I've just looked up the TZ, and it's been discontinued. That means the replacement brushes, if they are unique to that motor, won't be available for long, if at all. It's also pretty costly, for a brushed motor. Keep looking, as I've found motors in the $35-$45 USD range that are suitable alternatives, but I don't know what your preferences are.
There are even motors in the $20 USD range that are rebuildable!!

If you find a suitable alternative for less than the TZ, you will be able to afford the Carbon top plate!
Ok so I guess the TZ is out of the question lol, I dont know much about motors so I dont really have a preference...lol the TZ is a 23t motor? The higher the number of turns the more torque? that means the higher the number the better for drifting no?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Sal911

How do i know if my esc ( the teu101kb) will support the motor i buy?

Got the wheels,tires, shocks, heat sink, shaft down...

Need to find out 1. What springs to put on (hard, medium soft) 2. what weight of oil to put and 3. find a suitable motor....
Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
gokemidoro

There is a balance you should strike, between torque and RPM. Drift doesn't require gobs of RPM, but needs a certain amount to maintain the right grip/slip ratio for the tires to work properly.
You could go as low as 15T, or as high as 25T, but for your driving style, you will need to find that balance. If you are not overly aggressive, you could use a 15T effectively. If you are aggressive, the higher turn motors would yield better drift performance over the RPM range of the motor.

I am an aggressive driver, and the 19T and 21T work well for me.They don't equate to much top speed, but it's not top speed you're after, in drift.

And yes, the TZ is a 23T.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 PM
gokemidoro

I just looked up the specs, and it appears the TEU101BK will only handle 27T motors.

It appears you will have to gear up, after all. If you are stuck with a 27T, just get a larger pinion.Though a 27T will have enough power to get you going, you will want a bit more wheel speed.

When you get a few extra bucks, it would be a good idea to upgrade the ESC/motor.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Sal911

Damn...I have no idea what to look for then...what shock springs should i get? aswell as the oil?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Sal911

k so i figured some stuff out, please confirm this! for suspension how does this sound? stiff at front soft at rear? and 30 weight all round...the higher the weight the harder shock???
I found this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGH23&P=Z springs pretty good imo for experimenting around...what do you think goke? as far as a new motor goes, I think im gonna order everything else and see how they play out, if i need any more thrust (?) ill eventually change it up, aswell as the esc.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 PM
gokemidoro

Keep the springs you have now, to start. I would go 35 wt. in front, 40-45 wt. in back.

Just get a non-rebuildable 27T for right now, run that, save bucks, and get something like a XeRun or EZRun system. They are very inexpensive for brushless systems, and from what I'm seeing, very good quality. Get a pinion that is 4 to 6T larger than what you have now.

That should get you started.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Sal911

sweet thanks! everything is comming from hong kong so its gonna take so long to get here! lol but Ill post some pics when im done

Not gonna order any springs or motor for now. just oil shocks, tires, wheels, prop shaft, and a sink
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 PM
gokemidoro

Yah, let us know how it performs, and you will get a better idea by then, what you need, to make it better!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Sal911

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Mr Lee

If you have the Type E TT01 you cannot use the carbon upper deck!

Speaking from experience of racing and drifting the TT01 and TT01 type E:

Ali prop shaft is a must.
You already have bearings so that is great.
Metal motor mount is nice....just remember to still keep the cardboard bit that mounts between the motor and the mount otherwise you will melt the chassis as heat will be transfered through the metal mount to the parts where it contacts the chassis and melt it!
Make sure you run a heat sink and if possible a fan as well. You do not have as much forward motion as a touring car and not much air is moving under the body so your motor will get very hot!
Adjustable upper arms are great for setting the camber although to start with (for drifting) 0 degrees is fine.
get the 55/58T spur gears and the 24/25T pinions. You can also get a 22T that will fit with the 58T spur. You can then play around with different ratio's to find what suites your setup best.
Universal drive shafts are nice to have and smoothe the drive train out a little and also help the front especially when your steering is at full lock. The plastic dog bones tend to jump out at full lock. They are however fine to use to start with but as you get better you could consider upgrading to universals....not an essential though!
TRF shocks are a nice to have but are expensive when you are starting out. The standard oil filled shocks (as supplied with the TT01R Type E as well as the TA05's) are also fine and much better than the friction shocks. For drifting you want the rear to be firmer than the front so using a Tamiya white or White/blue spring in the rear and a Tamiya White/red spring in front is perfect. The standard kit oil is fine as well....think it is 300 or 400 weight.
Next lock the rear diff with some hot glue and stiffen the front diff by adding a couple of O rings or putting some putty inside to make it LSD like and away you go! Nothing else really required.....unless you want some bling!

The Ali steering arms and steering link take away a little more of the steering slop. The design of the newer type E's steering is way better than the older standard TT01 anyway so no need to do it right away if you are on a tight budget.
Ali hex hubs are also nice to have a take away a little wheel wobble.

Anyway hope you enjoy your new hop ups and post some pics when you get them installed!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM
teamnolimit

the upper deck will work and I recommend you buying 3 racing steering aluminum system later on. And if you want a great set up a lsd on the back and one-way diff on the front. my tt-01e has a lsd and it performs great
Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 AM
Mr Lee

The upper deck will work on the type E but then you need to revert back to the standard TT01 steering which is very sloppy!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Sal911

Wo0t got my wheels+tires main shaft, and me shocks installed

Ordering a carbon upper deck, battery sink, and looking for universal drive shafts buying the body soon, although I have my bros Nisimo porshe thats ready lol, Wanna paint my own...(Non stock) ill be getting a Nissan r 34 190mm thinking of painting it white base, hood, roof and trunk will be painted black + me white wheels

Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 PM
enzo808

Hey goke, where can you get hop-ups for the tt01-e? Wanna get me a tt01e & make it into a drifter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.