Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

best drift car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
viking25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best drift car?

ok so ive been researching a while and just want to narrow it down to one maybe two cars outta the so many.. sprint 2 drift, rs4, tt01, ta05... ect. please help me choose the perfect one
Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM
kingJurzy

Default RE: best drift car?

don't go with a sprint 2, thats just my 2 cents. Try to go with a hb cyclone tc instead, or that ta05 version 2.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: viking25

ok so ive been researching a while and just want to narrow it down to one maybe two cars outta the so many.. sprint 2 drift, rs4, tt01, ta05... ect. please help me choose the perfect one

Start out with the best you can afford. My recs?

HB TCX
Associated TC5/6
Tamiya TRF 416/417

The reason I say that is that in almost all cases, low and medium budget chassis are still in need of option/hop-up parts. The higher-end chassis in almost all cases do not. Bodies, wheels and tires are commodities that will be changed on a regular basis with drift cars, but the chassis stays pretty much unchanged, except for broken part replacement. The higher-end chassis will also be fully adjustable, lending themselves to be modded to your style of drifting. Lower and medium budget ones have very little, to none, so you must become used to the chassis, with all it's idiosyncrasies.

There are other very good chassis out there besides the three I mentioned, but a high-end chassis saves you the trouble of scrounging for hop-ups, because they won't need much, if any. May as well pay the price for something that will grow with you, and serve you well, instead of getting used to something that will need more to work well, and that you must get used to.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 PM
LILJAY2

IF you are settin up fo drift, I would also look at Tamiya VDF drift chassis, they are going down. or step into the the world of Yokomo.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 AM
kstmRYD

There is no best car, just better drivers! There are some guys out there that can run circles around guys with top equipment with their low end chassis.

Sure there are some cars that have deficiencies or qwirks, like sprints sloppy steer, but that's easily fixed. Then there are proven chassis, like Tamiya's TA05 platform in various versions.

Actually the Tamy VDF was a limited production run, they are releasing another run in a gold version shortly, but they are pricey. They have gained a good following so they are getting harder to get, most places are out of stock on them they do this on purpose to inflate demand and prices. It is a fantastic chassis, but as well it has one or two qwirks, just like any other chassis. However you can clone it with a TA05, which I recommend, there are tons of mod parts for it and they are very inexpensive.

The bottom line is your wallet and are you going to continue with and grow in this hobby, if you are, skip the lower end stuff and start with a decent chassis such as a TA05 or a Yokomo.

Best to you on your purchase!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM
StormFox

Hi people,

please forgive my noobness...

how does the following Tamiya compare in terms of performance, upgrades, costs?
TT-01
TA-05
TB-02

any comments would be great~

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
kstmRYD

TA05 hands down, many many hop up, dirt cheap too.

check out these hop ups for it

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/tamiya...5_744_720.html
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/index.php?cPath=36_250

you can bling this chassis out with just a couple of bucks, and the parts fit nicely
Old 02-14-2011, 03:43 PM
StormFox

is there any downsides/upsides to using a belt-chassis compared to a shaft one?

is it hard to start off with a kit?
those XB stuff are pretty expensive
it seems both interesting and a tad overwhelming at times

thankie~

oh yes... how would you rank the chassis?

better on top

TA05
TB03
TB02
TT01

??

T05 sure looks interesting. just wondering if i should start small or just go for it..
everyone ends up with more than one car sooner or later anyways

Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 AM
kstmRYD

belt vs shaft - more of a personal preference, sure there are some pros cons, like belts wear, and stretch, but they don't wear that fast, can't remember the last time I changed one because it wore out, and I put in huge time drifting.

Shafts can vibrate, especially if you have an aluminum one that you may have slightly bent fooling around in the chassis and likewise belts can flex requiring tension adjustment, no biggee there.

Performance between shaft and belt? Some argue about torque steer on shaft (see this article http://www.rcdriftclub.com/home/archives/34) but really the average guy will not notice this, an experienced touring guy with rubber tires with a super fine tuned chassis will be about the only guy to have issue with this as it affects the way the car pulls unevely. A drifter will never notice this as he has very little traction, we are not interested in getting every bit of even grip out of the chassis.

Personally I like a belt because I like the "insulated feel" nice and quiet transfer of power. Shaft is a solid gear to gear connection and produces a little vib and noice, but to many no big deal. One time shaft cars were cheaper price wise, not so much the case today, some are climbing up there like the TB03.

On your list of chassis, I like the TA05 first, then the TB03D (shares parts with TA05) I had one, ran beautiful for me, now you can get carbon fibre main and upper deck, aluminum parts etc...

This is also a really nice true drift chassis to consider, the Street Jam OTA-R31 comes with a body, it has crazy steer angle and many hop ups available. This car quickly becoming a cult classic, huge following in Japan catchin on here, at a recent comp many guys were rockin this chassis.

http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...oducts_id=2751