Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Good Motor / ESC Combo For My new Drifter...?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Good Motor / ESC Combo For My new Drifter...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Izumskid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Motor / ESC Combo For My new Drifter...?

Ive Just Decided to get back into drifting after a long break.
Iv just Bought a Yokomo DRB and Need A Good motor / ESC setup
I used to Run An Associated TC5 with an 8.5T and was happy with the power etc..
So What is a Good Setup you guys can suggest.. one that will run flawlessly. not overheat or cause me problems..

And please do not suggest EZ-Run's or any other cheaply made chinese crap.. Quality gear only.. ANy experiance on LRP Vector X12?

Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
gokemidoro

Default RE: Good Motor / ESC Combo For My new Drifter...?

Vector X12's are very good, depending on which turn you buy. I run the 17.5T for stock class, but for drift, it may not have enough oomph. I'd go 12T or 10T.

As far as ESC's, Castle's Mamba Max Pro works well, has all the adjustments one would want, and unlike other Castle ESC's, is sensored, so you can use the Vector X12.
The MMP's hold up rather well, and take a lot of abuse. Gear low, so you will not have the overheat problem.

The MMPis the lowest cost ESC that will take the punishment. Ihave 7 (now 8) Castle systems, and none have failed, two of which were mercilessly abused, and are more than five years old, and STILLgoing!

There are others, of course, but the decision is yours, ultimately, so it's up to you, but Castle has always had my back, and never failed me. Can't say that about Novak or Traxxas. Tekins are great, if not a bit pricey, but will fit the DRB (not much room on that chassis) well. Associated also has a drift system, the Ultimo Drift Combo, or something like that, that will work well.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Izumskid

Well So Far my new Setup to get back into Drifting -

Yokomo DRB - Silver + Blue Edition - ordered and on its way!!
Yokomo Digital Low Profile Servo - ordered and on its way
LRP Vector X12 8.5T Brushless - Now ordered and on its way

Yokomo Trust S15 Silvia Body - On its way
Yokomo Rays VOLK Racing GT-V Wheels - on its way
Tamiya R34 GTR Z-tune Body - On its way

Still undecided on the ESC thanks for your input before Im Checking Them and Ill Try Decide..
Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 PM
gokemidoro

No worries.

I only wanted you to see how the Castle MMP does. It may be too large for the DRB, as it was a bear to shoehorn onto my VDF. Tekins are so small, they will fit just about anywhere. Seen the new Viper system? I don't know how good they are but the mags (yeah, I know) say they are very good quality.
The Associated Ultimo Drift combo's ESCis also smaller than the MMP. Ijust went with the MMP because of the strength of Castle's ESC's. Those darn things just keep on going! I've burned up a couple of motors on one ESC, and it's as strong as ever!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Izumskid

High on my list was maybe the Tekin RS Pro.. Heard anything About This?
Yeh Im trying to keep it all small With chassis size in mind.. In a month or so i will be buying Another chassis maybe the Street Jam chassis everyones surprised with... and ill def get the Castle system With that as Ive heard good things.
BTW. any good regular drifting or comps near seattle.. AUS is dissapointing and im travelling to seattle before getting ona cruise next year.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM
gokemidoro

Yes, Tekins are VERYgood! Of the racers Italked to who have them, they say they do very well, and are consistent throughout a race.

I wish Castle would "down-size" their ESC's. That's their only real fault.

YOU'RE INLUCK! There's a club in Seattle - I'll get the name for you today - those guys are REALLY into drift!

If I can conjure up an address, I'll get that to you too.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM
gokemidoro

Baah!!

The club in Seattle is defunct, I think. They were (are?) called "SeaTown Drifters." The last entries anywhere are three years old. Iasked at a shop in Redmond, and they said it's a group of guys that get together, not anything organized. They used to have meets, but I think it's over now.

If Ifind out anymore, I'll let you know.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Izumskid

no worries ill get to ordering the TEKIN .. But itl have to wait a week till i next get paid haha. and cheers for the info ill def look into it
Old 07-26-2011, 11:13 PM
CSOCSO

im a newbie also and after using up my first set of wheels i decided to get NOVAK ballistick 8.5T motor wirh novak SC pro esc. love it.