Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

ken block traxxas car

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
JeremyFowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ken block traxxas car

hey guys i need some expert advice on this car and what setups are people using to make this car a better drifter. as of now i have put 60 wt. oil in the shocks and bought the super drift hpi tires and a set of wheels from my local hobbie shop and it is better than before but still has way too much traction and seems like my spring rate could stand to be stiffer. also what batterys are you guys using to give this car some more power to make it drift better with the stock motor and speedo thanks Jeremy
Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
BlueShade Zero

Default RE: ken block traxxas car

Easiest thing would be to throw it in the trash and buy a different car. I probably spent another 300$ on it, and theres too manyinherentdesign flaws that just make it terrible, for everything.
The suspension is always loose and floppy, you cant adjust the ride height w/o dis-assembling the shocks (tap tap first hint btw) and putting bigger spacers in to lower it to the ground. Then you'd still have to put much much harder springs, and i think the over all geometry is still **** though.
Different wheels, good move. The stock ones grip/drift unpredictably. They, imo, just suddenly let go and you cant really expect it. However, the car, no matter what you do, will have an unnaturally loose rock when you turn, but rigging in a E10 swaybar kit to it like this handsome gentleman over here did, might help that too:
Other then that, screw with ride height, the sloppy and hard to adjust camber+toe combo, and the spring tension. You want no droop on your car for a dedicated drift purpose, but you also need it low. The only way to do that is to dis-assemble the shocks as mentioned and put a bigger spacer in it.

Honnostly, read that hole topic. Between me and prototyp we squeezed as much performance out of this thing as phsycially possible, but in the end it was futile, and i sold it at a major loss, and got a different car.
Good luck!

EDIT:

oh yeah. Stock batteries are fine.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^this. Sad but true.

Get yourself an HPI cup racer.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 AM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: JeremyFowler

hey guys i need some expert advice on this car and what setups are people using to make this car a better drifter. as of now i have put 60 wt. oil in the shocks and bought the super drift hpi tires and a set of wheels from my local hobbie shop and it is better than before but still has way too much traction and seems like my spring rate could stand to be stiffer. also what batterys are you guys using to give this car some more power to make it drift better with the stock motor and speedo thanks Jeremy
Sorry, bud, but everyone's right.

If you go to the Traxxas rally thread, all you'll find is people trying to change their rallys. If the rally was as Traxxas said it was,there wouldn't be so many people swapping parts, or trying to change it into something they should have bought in the first place. Save your bucks and get a dedicated drift chassis. Anything else would work better. Anything.
Traxxas is known for their RTR off-road cars and trucks, and they should have stayed there. All of their on-road attempts were dismal failures, and the rally is no different.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 PM
BlueShade Zero

ORIGINAL: gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: JeremyFowler

Sorry, bud, but everyone's right.

If you go to the Traxxas rally thread, all you'll find is people trying to change their rallys. If the rally was as Traxxas said it was,there wouldn't be so many people swapping parts, or trying to change it into something they should have bought in the first place. Save your bucks and get a dedicated drift chassis. Anything else would work better. Anything.
Traxxas is known for their RTR off-road cars and trucks, and they should have stayed there. All of their on-road attempts were dismal failures, and the rally is no different.
This is largely in part due to the fact it was BASED on a RTR off road truck, the mini revo/slash. The geometry that made them, well, people like them i guess i've never sued them, just fails flat when on an on road environment. The geometry is very loose and sloshy, its extremely top heavy (most of it is above the wheel base), and you cant change either of those factors. I got hyped, i bought it, and i was immediately dissapointed. However, not to be defeated, hours of labor, hundreds in parts, and i ended up with a useless pile of garbage that i sold for 200$, 100 less then i bought it, and probably 300 less than i had put into it at that point...

If you want a great, all round, inexpensive, jack of trades drift car, get the HPI Sprint 2. Its got everything you need, with all the options any one between beginner-intermediate would want, and all the room in the world to become a drift king. I've had mine setup for both grip drift, and technical icy drift, and it was awesome. Even lol'd with some counter steer setup, but that ended up being to demise of the RC in the end. My baby, i just didnt have the will to revert it back to Gymkhana, because i kept over stressing parts and breaking them.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 AM
gokemidoro

I gave up on the idea of Gymkhana, as well. Fun while it lasted, but not very good for chassis.

Now it's making a rally car from an Associated SC10 4X4!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:15 PM
86MOmo

swap the fixed links for adjustable turnbuckles.

Adding Camber will make a difference, but agree, its a nice concept but the chassis needs work.

MOmo
Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 AM
rasper

As Gokemidoro said....Traxxas is known for their offroad cars, and not onroad. There was a whole thread that laid it out, i know, i followed it. If you want to drift, then get yourself a Tamiya TT01 or TA05, HPI drift, Yokomo or even a cheaper HSP onroad car and lock the diffs. Its going to be much cheaper and youll be drifting sooner without all these hassels and major settings.

Personally I like the TT01 as its damn near bulletproof and great hop-ups available , but i love the Yokomo more.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:08 AM
kstmRYD

I was at an event this weekend, before we got there a guy was woooing the crowd driving up and down his KBlock traxxas and taking long slides with it. After we setup our layout he came over and was amazed with the chassis the guys were sliding with. He asked to use the track but could not get it to slide, heck even our best drifter could not get the KBlock to slide "controllably" on our layout.

I put some decent drift tires on it for him as his were grip drift tires, but even with our slickest compound it lacked the basic essentials for drifting in layouts as we use. I would be terribly dissapointed too if I bought this car. I guess it was designed to bash around. Like others mentioned if you want to drift controllably with others and get to the level of doing tandems build a TAO5, there are tons of parts and there are even aftermarket versions like Eagle Racing's CF conversion.

I built this one for around $200.00 from scratch. Got the chassis conversion kit and all suspension parts, I even bought the the Novak Slyder system at a good price at broadtech.hk. A chassis like this one will serve you for a long time and you can build and set up for any type of course.

Here it is with a shell I did specifically for the event