Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

How tight should my brushless motor aginst the sprocket?

Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

How tight should my brushless motor aginst the sprocket?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Aplekan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tight should my brushless motor aginst the sprocket?

One of the screws fell off that was holding the bottom of the motor tight and i replaced the screw. Now i was just wondering how tight should i get the motor aginst the sprocket. i got it pretty tight but im afraid of doing damage if it is too tight.. it has more of a winding noise and stops a whole lot faster. i got the car used so i have no idea what it was like out of the box.
so can i do any damage if it is to tight?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM
icedude1989

Default RE: How tight should my brushless motor aginst the sprocket?

u can get the motor to have a lot more drag on it. it does do damage and the motor gets hot a LOT quicker. the small gear u have on the motor is called the pinion and the larger one next to it is called the spur just to better your rc jargon. they should be sitting together as close as can be made without the teeth of one touching the inside of the other one. i.e. (motor is still not tightened) if u move the motor with your hand towards the spur, you can feel where it is sitting tight (a lot of effort to rotate the spur) and where it starts to let off. if u do it too far away the spur can be turned without the pinion turning. that is too much. find the sweet spot in the middle of those two situations. (to say it a bit more technically, make sure u have no play between the teeth of both gears. that is, when the pinion turns, the teeth should engage smoothly and not the pinion tooth turning a bit puhing nothing then 'hitting' the spur tooth. that is too loose. 

sorry for rambling but i wasnt sure if i explained it well.

dave
Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 AM
gokemidoro

Icedude,

you're doing O.K., but the easiest way is to put a piece of paper (32 and 48 pitch gears will work with this - 64 pitch is adjusted a little differently), like receipt paper, between the pinion and spur gears, then tighten the motor screws down. Remove the paper, and they are properly adjusted.

Aplekan,

don't run the car too long with tight gears. You'll ruin the electronics if they get too hot. Adjust it using the above method, and you'll be O.K. Check the tightness of all the screws on the car periodically, so this doesn't happen again.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Aplekan

Thanks guys! i have it properly adjusted
- Dave you explained it perfectly, nice to know all the jargon!
Thanks for your help guys!