Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Noob to rc drift car, need help to start!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Noob to rc drift car, need help to start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM
saer_x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob to rc drift car, need help to start!

Hello to everyone on the rc drift world. I want to buy a Tamiya TB-03 D kit to start my journey in the RC Drif World. with that said, my question is:
- what electronics should i get for mi car? motor, servo, receivers, radio control, ESC. be especific pls.
- what are the main upgrades that i should made to the car ?
and last, Im from the San Francisco (CA) , is there any club or places to practice in the bay area?
I'm looking forwars for your answers, Than You.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:32 AM
kstmRYD

Default RE: Noob to rc drift car, need help to start!

The TB03D is a great car, I ran one for a while... how you set your car up depends on the type of drifting you are going to do, for example if you are going for high speed parking lot type bashing and sliding around then you will need a little power and grippier drift tires.

If you intend on drifting on a layout with other guys and eventually sliding door to door with them then your set up will require more control, lower power and tires that slip a bit more. This type of drifting would require driveline mods like a front one way diff and a locked rear spool. You can find many hop ups like this for this chassis at this site http://broadtechonlineshop.com/eagle...p/ShopTop.aspx

A lot of power is not needed for drifting on a layout with other cars, a brushless system around 3600Kv - 4700Kv will work great, if you get a lot of power you will have jack rabbit take offs and loose control going into donuts (spinning in circles). You need a motor and ESC that will give you nice smooth throttle increases and decreased. As you become better at drifting and start to drift with other cars smooth throttle is essential. Brushless systems are a bit pricey, an inexpensive system that a lot of guys use is Hobbywing EZRun 35Amp 9Turn/4300Kv it's around $100.00, though it's on sale now for around $70.00 at http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.htm

Tires are really important for drifting, you need tires that slip yet will have a degree of traction, forget rubber based drift tires unless you are looking to do high speed parking lot bashing, poly based resins are the way to go. I won't get into tires on this site as I am sponsored by a tire company and I don't want to disrespect this sites policy.

A really good forum for serious drifters is at www.hyperdrift.com/forum... there are a lot Cali guys on there that you can hook up with and everyone on that site will be more than happy to share their expertise with you. As a noobie you will have a lot of questions and that is one of the best places to get answers on getting your chassis tuned for drifting.

Another great site for information on parts is www.driftmission.com - here you will find reviews on the latest and greatest.

Good luck with you car...here are a few pics of my TB03D before I sold it...

here it is on the track with other guys before a competition

Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
saer_x

Thanks for your reply and for the pics, you had a nice car. Also, thanks for the websites, i'll check them out
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM
xburningempiresx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in sf top. Bout to get a drift car, something mello for noe. Allspeed hobbies in San Bruno has a track and Sheldon hobbies in San Jose does too
Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 AM
saer_x

I'm planing on getting one too. I'm still saving the money. BTW, I think All speed Hobbies is in South San Francisco.