Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Advice On Electronics

Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Odyssey Dawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On Electronics

HPI Sprint 2 RTR
Stock Everything

I'm looking to:

Upgrade my motor to 19T (but the motor is a 15T brushed. so is it an upgrade or a downgrade? lol)
Upgrade my battery pack from that disappointing battery that came with the kit to LiPo's. (do I need to change the connector plug?)
Get a charger that can handle parallel charging and I'm looking for a good rated parallel charge cable to go with it

Yes, I've read through the "The Beginner's Guide to Drifting!" and I've read through tons of threads after that one.

So here are my questions:

1. What's a good BRAND of motor for the 19T? I've looked at motors on sites like hobbypartz and hobbyking with motors from HobbyWing and Turnigy and I found that some of them don't even make 19T motors. What's one you've played with that's reliable and satisfying?

2. I did a LOT of research on the batteries and it seems it's best to stick with 7.2V rather than going 11.1V. I've searched hobbyking and I've come to like the Turnigy's (heard they're not reliable, though) and ZIPPY's LiPo's with around 5000mah (is that too much?) with 25C to 35C discharge rates (what's the difference in performance between higher and lower C rates?)

3. So, of course, I'm looking for a charger to charge those batteries and I would much rather charge more than one battery at a time. So I just read a few articles about "Parallel Charging". What's a good charger that can handle parallel charging? I'm looking for a charger that peaks and discharges well. I read ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...tm.htm#9390193) that the Turnigy Accucell-6 is one that a lot of people love but will it handle parallel charging?And the DuraTrax Intellipeak ICE DC Competition charger (it plugs to a wall outlet, right?).Also, who sells the parallel charge cables? I found a LOAD of them here: http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...ex&cPath=26_14. Then they differ from the Charge Plug connections. What is that? Or simply, which one do I need to charge LiPo's (Thunder Power? Hyperion?)?

A couple of questions I have that are NOT related to electronics:

1. Do drift tires still need foam inserts and tire glue to be mounted onto rims?
-and-
2. How do I lock the rear differential? Is it a kit or do I just tighten something?

Thanks for reading! Any help is much appreciated!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Odyssey Dawn

Default RE: Advice On Electronics

Sorry if I made my questions too long. Let me summarize all that. I'm looking for a good choice in a 19T motor, a nice set of LiPo's to go with it, and a good charger to charge them and is capable of handling parallel charging with a good parallel charge cable. Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the motor i had a castle 4600KV in my tt01 and it was retarded. so much over kill it wasent even funny.
Ac6 is a good lipo charger.
drift wheels are plastic they are not glued on they fit verrry snug by them self.
for locking the rear a lot of people just pack it full of silly putty so if they change there mind they can just remove it and have it work like normal agian.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Odyssey Dawn

Thanks for the reply. While I was waiting for a response, I came across a few things that answered some of my questions.

A write-up for locking the differentials: http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=26352

Just ran into this: http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-t6-multi-charger.html A multi-battery charger. This eliminated my need for a parallel-charge cable.
From the same maker of the AC6 with extremely good reviews!

And I had remembered hearing that brushless motors are the new thing. So I did some research on it and found that 13.5T brushless is the new 19T brushed. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88.../anchor/tm.htm Thanks to the OP and people who left input on that thread.

And thanks, Shabbernigdo, for letting me know of the drift tires before I got mine in the mail. I also had a talk with a buddy of mine earlier today and he mentioned finding a way to heat the tires up if you need to mount them onto a rim. Reason being they're too hard to mount when they're the way they are. He suggested hot water. Sounds like a good idea.

A note. I think that "The Beginner's Guide to Drifting" needs an updated about brushless motors. The reason why I was having a hard time finding a decent 19T brushed motor that's still being manufactured was because it turns out it was a thing of the past. I'm not saying that post isn't useful. Just needs a little updating.

Hope this helps anyone else that may have the same question(s) as I do. Still looking for some good batteries.