Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

3Racing Sakura D3 CS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:32 PM
TakeshiSkunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3Racing Sakura D3 CS

I was wondering if I could get any input on this car, I've seen a lot of people saying how nice it looks but haven't seen a ton of reviews or reports on actual performance. Obviously this is due to the fact that it's very new.

I was considering picking one of these kits off for my first 1/10 car. I've spent quite a bit of time racing and drifting Mini-Zs, I have a heavily modified MR03, MA010 that was set up as a drifter until we did a stock AWD series, and a stock MB010. I do not, however, have any direct experience with 1/10 scale cars.

I've always meant to set up a 1/10 drift car and the price is fairly attractive on this kit. It looks to have a lot of cool ideas implemented out of the box. I've always wanted to try a CS setup but had trouble finding the proper gears for my Mini-Z, and from my very limited time with a 1/10 drift car I can tell that they're a lot more fun to drive. I'm not sure how body fitment goes with a 1/10 car, but I had my eye on the Lancer 1800GSR body from RC Spice...I'm a bit concerned about having to paint it as I have absolutely no experience with that haha.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:14 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: 3Racing Sakura D3 CS

The Sakuras are typically good for drifting. I've seen standard ones CS'ed, so if its not enough for you stock you can always do more. Painting bodies is no problem, just stick on the window masks and paint the inside. Just be sure to buy lexan or polycarbonate specific paint.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:19 AM
MTboy

It's a great kit and alot of fun to build but being so new not much out for it yet. The CS ratio being 2.14 is pretty high for newbies but alot of fun to learn on and watch how real it looks.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
TakeshiSkunk

I've got a pretty good handle on drift theory and physics and all that, and I'm sure it'll be a little easier to handle than trying to keep the Mini-Z drifting on the line in our narrow RCP tracks haha. Newcomer to 1/10 but no stranger to the drifting world

I'm assuming the ration will be easy to change with gears from the other Sakura kits? If I decide I want more or less...to be honest I was never crazy about 50/50 drifting because I just couldn't get the car to hold the line and look the way I wanted it to. Don't get me wrong thought it's a lot of fun to huck it in sideways and power through when you track through just so!

I'm hitting up a couple friends to see if they can spare old 1/10 parts for the build...I'm not usually one to go cheap on a build but I'm also looking into buying a new heli off of a local friend as well as a new micro heli for the indoor season x.x Too much all at once haha. I'm leaning toward RC Spice's Lancer GSR and Pandoras Vellfire for bodies.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 AM
TakeshiSkunk

What would you guys recommend for a motor+esc and pinion on this chassis? And what sort of battery would I be looking to run? I'm all set to charge and balance anything with deans thanks to having several planes and helis already.

Was hoping to find some kind of deal on a Tx with Rx+Servo and just throw that stuff in.

Reading around more people seem to be having some issues with the kit but still like it as they can all be fixed and still be under the cost of a competing car...I'm just slightly concerned because I have no experience at all with 1/10 stuff here..I've seen people mention wheel chatter, issues with the belt and some fitment issues, dunno really. I'm down to learn but I don't want to get in over my head, I'd just like a decent CS setup at a good price haha.

It's hard for me to tell if these issues are just people nitpicking and it'd be fine for me or if they're serious issues that need to be addressed before you can do much with the chassis. It's probably worth mentioning that I'd like to be able to confidently run outdoors. I don't know of any local drift tracks (though there's a ton of empty space in my apartments laundry room, smooth concrete) and I tend to notice interesting drifting lines when I'm walking around in parking lots and sidewalks and whatnot, always thought it'd be a lot of fun to hit them.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Well I've started ordering the parts for my build, just waiting for my friend to work out the order from 3Racing and get the kit to me. Wish me luck!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Arkimidies

Hello TakeshiSkunk, just wondering if you have recieved your Sakura D3 CS yet, and if so what you think of it.  I've got an Exceed drift star at the moment and was looking to upgrade my chassis.  Thought the Front motor AWD would be kinda fun to play with.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
kstmRYD

with CS chassis's...especially with a 2.0 ratio you need an ESC that climbs the throttle curve very "smoothly" couple with a lower turn motor, preferably brushless, this is crucial in CS drifting. That rear end wants to outrun the front so keeping it under control is critical. An ESC that delivers to much juice to a powerful motor is a setup that is way too punchy...you will spin the rear wheel way too fast and have you fishtailing all over the place.

The Sakura with the front end weight and CS driveline is designed to whip the rear so you don't need a powerful motor to break it loose, the chassis is designed to slide mechanically and not by speed.

Hobbywing's EZRuns and Xruns are super smooth, so is the Novak Drift spec with the 13T motor. The Novak is one of my favorites, but you need to attach the Novak glitch buster capacitor to the ESC for reliable performance. Keep to higher turn motors in drifting as they will produce the smoothest acceleration climb.