Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Questions about drift.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 PM
hawkifan1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about drift.

First off, I have a redcat lightning epx drift car. 540 brushed motor. I am fairly new to Drifting although I did own a Jato 3.3 nitro car, so I have some knowledge of rc cars. My first question is, is my car good enough to be used for drifting? It definitely drifts, however I'm not sure that it could possibly be good enough for me to be consistent. Part of the reason is because the plastic tires are so slick, that sometimes it has a mind of its own. Which leads me to my next question. Assuming that my car is good enough. What are the right kind of tires? I have several types that I have tried. Plastic factory, slick t drifts, and apex soft rubber with slight tread. The soft rubber are most enjoyable to me, but it's harder to make it drift and it kind of whips back. Also the soft tires really decrease run time although I have upgraded to a 7.2v 5000 battery that gets me about 20 minutes run time with the soft tires or 45 minutes with slick tires. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:08 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good enough to drift. it's not a pro drifter but it drifts good. the plastic tires are what you want to drift more so if you drift on asphalt. they don't last long so look up how to make some. up grade your battery to a 2s lipo and you'll get longer run times. the stock ESC will handle it.
do some reading on drift car set up (toe, camber, suspension). i have the same car (diff body) and it drifts just fine. it's all about practice a lot of practice and more practice and tuning.
learning how to car reacts to what you do will help you get better. just keep practicing. it's fun when you get the hang of it.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 PM
hawkifan1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. That helps alot. I have been driving it as much as I can.
We have a skateboard park here that is pretty open, but has a few obstacles that I have been Drifting around. I'll have to check out the battery upgrade. Right now I have a 2000, that came with it, a venom 4200, and a 5000 that someone bought me recently. Thanks for your time and answer.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:59 PM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anytime hawkifan.