Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Hey guys! Learning as i go/need some help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Hey guys! Learning as i go/need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:37 PM
hanser drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys! Learning as i go/need some help

Hey guys. I love everything drifting... so obviously i got interested in RC drifting. I didn't know jack squat about anything RC so i decided to test my tinkering abilities and try to sorta build one from scratch. Soooo.....

I recently picked up an hpi rs4 sport 3 chassis (shaft driven - 50-50) and some other random parts for it off of some shadester on craigslist and began to slowly build from there. I finally had it all together... put in a nice servo, new speed control, replaced most of the suspension with adjustable do-da's, and finally threw a nice castle brushless motor with a 23t pinion. After a handful of batteries and tires later, i noticed my rc wasn't "as fast", or controlled as it first was. I pulled the cover off the pinion, and noticed it was just eating the **** out of my other gear. I guess the torque and power from the motor is too much for those plastic internal gears. My problem is, every hobby shop I go into, no one carries parts or even knows anything about this particular chassis. I think its a spur gear? I'm not sure what size it is, but i'm hoping someone on here can help me out with a link to an aluminum or some other stronger one.

I have a few other questions about this shaft driven car.... if you guys could help a beginner out, that'd be great!

-I'm wondering about differentials. I don't think either front or back are locked in this car. I am using the stock differentials from the rs4 sport 3. How can I go about locking them up so the control is more consistent in this car?

-They call it countersteer...... and i don't know why..... BUT I want it, because 50-50 is only so fun.... so, is it achievable in a shaft driven car? If so, what do i need to replace exactly to get them backs roastin and fronts coastin?

-What's up with tires? Seriously.... My only spot to drift right now is the somewhat freshly paven parking lot in front of my apartment, so I understand going through tires because of concrete.... But I feel like I eat them up real bad, and then halfway through their lifespan, they start popping off the rim all the time. I end up having to go out there with a pocket full of extra wheels to swap out just to get through a battery (2s 7.4 5000 lipo). I do the boiling water thing to re-seat them/put new ones on if you were wondering. Also I bought a bunch of hpi drift tires at first and kept using the same rims. Then I wanted some new rims/more wheels, so I just sort of blindly ordered a few sets off of amazon. 2 of the sets started sliding off the rims after only 2 uses, plenty of life in them still, but then i noticed they didn't have the lip or groove like the hpi tires do to keep them seated on the rim. Is that a common thing? I thought the tires had that lip for a reason, and the ones that do actually stay on the rim a lot longer. Is there a better alternative tire for concrete? And if the lips aren't that much of a factor, is pvc pipe or something similar an optional alternative (since i'm just thrashing this thing around in a sloppy parking lot). I don't know much about the actual material the hpi tires are made from. I don't even know if pvc pipe will expand and whatnot with boiling water either..... obviously I'm full of questions and just rambling now.

-Last but not least, Bodies. Since this is just an introduction for me to RC drifting, i need a strong body. Something that can take a beating and not complain. I'm a fan of nice fast drift taps on curbs, and they don't always go as planned. Right now I'm stuck with a ****ty brz body that has been hotglued from the inside to hold cracks about 20 times. I'm not going to tracks and showing off cosmetics... yet... so no need for anything too fancy.

Sorry for so many questions and rambling! Nice to meet you all, and if anyone knows anything about this chassis or car, help a brotha out!

THANKS!
- Evan
Old 04-28-2017, 08:22 PM
hanser drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i would love to make a thread on drift mission..... since they get all the traffic, but ****..... there has been no "new thread" button for over a month. im stuck.....
Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I've read your post. I'm sorry no one has come to answer your questions. Not too many drifters out there...well, at least not in RCU I guess. I try to learn a little bit about drifting as well, cause the day that I get a chassis is in the near future. Maybe try DriftMission for some info and setups. I think I have that site bookmarked as someone had told me it was the place to go to for RC drifting.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:14 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you have an account on there? + Post Thread should be in the top right of page/site.
[ATTACH]2212483[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	2212483