Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD

Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD

Old 05-19-2004, 05:23 PM
WhiskyVR-4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD

Ok guys, we have too many drifitng threads floating around, we need to consolidate our knowledge. Putting it all into one thread helps everyone. It helps newbies because they know where to look for how-to info, it helps the more advanced guys because we can share info more effectively, and it helps people who don't care about drifting because they don't have to see the same "how do I make drift tires?" and "can I drift my nitro car?" threads another 100 times.

If you aren't into drifting, think its a waste of time, and don't see why anyone else is into it, thats fine, find another thread to post on, but please don't waste everyone's time here bashing it. If you don't like it, go talk about something you do like. Its just that simple.

I'll start with a basic FAQ based on my experience with nitro drifting:

Can you drift a nitro car?
Yes you can.

Isn't it too heavy?
Not at all, and last I checked, my electric TC3 wasn't really much lighter once it was loaded with batteries and such.

Don't electrics have better torque, and are therefore better for drifting?
Not better torque, per se, but more constant. Electric motors have max torque at all RPMs, so when you mash the throttle, you get instant full torque. While this may be nice, I've certainly had no trouble getting the tires spinning with the torque my 12rSS puts out.

Is it going to damage anything?
Not any more so than regular bashing, if you set your car up properly.

Do I need to buy the Yokomo drifting tires?
I've heard they allow you to drift faster, and make it somewhat easier, but you certainly don't NEED them to drift. I have never used them.

Can I make my own tires?
Yes you can. Its cheap and easy, just go to Home Depot (or some such similar place) and buy a length of 2" black ABS pipe. If you do not have a simple hacksaw, pick one of those up too. If you buy both your total should be in the $10-$15 range, and you'll be set on drift tires for longer than you can imagine. You'll also need a set of four 26mm wheels without tires, old or new, doesn't matter. Then all you need to do is cut the tires out of the ABS and slide them over the wheels. It should be a snug fit, but it shouldn't require too much force to get them on. I've never had to glue anything for my drift tires.

Don't you mean PVC?
No, I mean ABS. PVC is white, ABS is black. Aside from the fact that the black looks FAR better (looks like real tires), its also somewhat softer, from my understanding. There isn't really any significant cost difference, so I would go with the better-looking ABS.

Can I just wrap tape around my existing rubber tires?
Sure, and you'll have more grip, but you'll wear through tape and from my limited experience with it, it just leaves a gooey mess on otherwise perfectly good tires. I like the ABS method myself.

Am I going to destroy my clutch?
While I have seen and heard a lot of speculation about this, I have not had any problems, nor have I actually seen people complaing about ruining clutches.

Am I going to break parts?
Thats up to you, but drifting is slower than full-speed grip running, so if you do hit something, you won't be hitting it nearly as hard. I have not broken anything while drifting.

Won't my enigne overheat?
Only if you are careless with it. My engine runs at about 280 when I'm out bashing around making high-speed runs. My engine runs about 280 when I'm out drifting. However, when I'm drifting, I make several changes to the tuning:
- I richen the high until the temps are where I want them
- I lean the low so it starts and idles reasonably well
- I adjust my idle screw until the idle is low enough
- I am VERY careful about throttle useage. Drifting does NOT require much throttle, so don't mash on it all the time. Drifitng is about finesse, and thats true not only for the style and grace of your slides, but also your steering and throttle inputs.

Should I drift with a body on the car?
Bodies not only look cool, but they also help protect the car. Its fairly unlikely that you will flip the car drifting, but even so, a body is good protection. However, if you run with a body, make a drifting-specific body. If you only cut ROAR-legal holes in the windshield and such, you will overheat your engine. I cut out nearly all of the windows in mine, particularly the side-windows, since you spend a lot of time sideways.

Wouldn't rear wheel drive work better for drifting?
While the 1:1 scale drift cars are almost invariably rear wheel drive, your R/C car is not a 1:1 car, and does not quite behave in the same fashion. Specifically, your R/C car is probably fairly tail-heavy, and does not have the same power/weight ratio that a real car has, among countless other differences, so the same rules don't always correlate. From what I have heard, RWD r/c cars are difficult to drift, and I can say that 4WD r/c cars drift very nicely. If you want to go out and champion the RWD R/C drift cause, go ahead, I'd be very interested to know how it works, but for the time being I don't need any LESS control than I have with 4WD.

Thats about all I can think of for now, and that should help people get started with drifting. Lets try to keep the drift-related posts on this thread for the reasons mentioned above.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:05 PM
newbie003

Default RE: OFFICIAL NITRO DRIFTING THREAD

is there anywhere to buy abs tires on-line?or in any sepcific store?
Old 05-19-2004, 06:09 PM
WhiskyVR-4

not to my knowledge, you don't want to cut your own? It only takes about 5 minutes
Old 05-19-2004, 06:12 PM
WhiskyVR-4

actually, I take that back, I've heard of people buying them on eBay, but for what you pay in shipping alone, you could have your own 6-foot ABS pipe, enough to make 14 complete sets (about 56 tires)
Old 05-19-2004, 08:11 PM
newbie003

no i mean can you buy the tubing on-line like in a online hardwear store or something and then with what can you cut it with?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:43 PM
WhiskyVR-4

ORIGINAL: newbie003

no i mean can you buy the tubing on-line like in a online hardwear store or something and then with what can you cut it with?
Oh, I dunno, I'd imagine that you would pay a fortune for shipping on a length of ABS pipe because they only come in like 6-foot lengths (or longer). I cut mine with a hand hacksaw, like a $5 hacksaw from Home Depot. Like this one, but the no-name brand they carry, I think it was on clearnace for about $5, maybe $10.

[link=http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0914267869.1085017238@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdladclhmjedikcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876]http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0914267869.1085017238@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdladclhmjedikcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876[/link]
Old 05-19-2004, 09:50 PM
uklaned

What is nitro drifting?
Old 05-20-2004, 01:12 AM
ko

good idea for the thread...

i'm waiting for my next check and them i'm gonna get the AE86 and do it up like initial D for drifting... cant wait
Old 05-20-2004, 01:27 AM
WhiskyVR-4

ORIGINAL: ko

good idea for the thread...

i'm waiting for my next check and them i'm gonna get the AE86 and do it up like initial D for drifting... cant wait
right on. Jada Toys, who makes a lot of the die cast cars you see in the mall and stuff, brings us all of their real cars, and we build them for them. Right now we have their Initial D Trueno replica at the shop getting some engine work done, its pretty wierd to go to work and see the real thing up on the lift. I mean we have done quite a few AE86 cars, but never the Initial D full size car, thats pretty amusing.

We will have our turbo 240SXs on the track this weekend for shakedown runs and driver testing, and our silvia (real sivlia) should be track-ready by july, so we should have at least one car competing in the Nor Cal and Irwindale Formula D races.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:33 AM
jmt1

Good lookin out with this thread. My RTR should be in tomorrow or Monday. I will probably make my tires (ABS) this weekend, pick up an extra set of wheels and throw the ABS on there. I hope to break in the car and start sliding by next weekend. One question, any recommendations on a good receiver/servo combo for drift...I heard the one that comes with my RTR isn't the greatest so this will be my first upgrade. I have been looking at the Hi-Tech CRX, running around $180. I have heard that a Hi-Tech heavy duty servo will work well...not sure what transmitter though. Thanks!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Polar_Bus

Is "drifting" sliding all four tires, or just the rear tires? I am a little confused as to exactly what a "drift car" is. thanks,
Rich

BTW sorry for putting this post in the wrong spot, I could not delete it to move it.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:12 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just opened up our official drifting forum here on rcuniverse. If you use MyForums you must add it to your list to see it though. Click settings above top right and select the drifting forum to add it to your list. We will soon move this thread into that forum once everyone realizes it is setup.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:32 AM
newbie003

ORIGINAL: Polar_Bus

Is "drifting" sliding all four tires, or just the rear tires? I am a little confused as to exactly what a "drift car" is. thanks,
Rich

BTW sorry for putting this post in the wrong spot, I could not delete it to move it.
rc drifting is with all 4 wheels atleast thats how i drift.....
Old 05-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this thread moved to this subforum?

Again, anyone try one?

Old 05-21-2004, 01:06 PM
WhiskyVR-4

ORIGINAL: jmt1

Good lookin out with this thread. My RTR should be in tomorrow or Monday. I will probably make my tires (ABS) this weekend, pick up an extra set of wheels and throw the ABS on there. I hope to break in the car and start sliding by next weekend. One question, any recommendations on a good receiver/servo combo for drift...I heard the one that comes with my RTR isn't the greatest so this will be my first upgrade. I have been looking at the Hi-Tech CRX, running around $180. I have heard that a Hi-Tech heavy duty servo will work well...not sure what transmitter though. Thanks!!!
your servo needs for drifting are about the same as they are for touring/road course, you need speed and some decent torque in the the front (the torqoe is much less important for drift, but you'll want it for grip driving) and speed at the throttle servo. But to be honest, really anything will work to gert you started.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:31 PM
WhiskyVR-4

ORIGINAL: Polar_Bus

Rich

Let me give you a quick explanation of drifting...

Drifting is a style of driving where the object is to get the car as sideways as possible, as fast as possible, for as long as possible, while still following a racing line. Drift compentitions are not scored by time, but on points, similar to figure skating. The major point criteria are entry speed, drift angle, and difficulty (how close to the wall he gets).

The term drift actually has a true racing meaning, its a condition where all four tires are at their maximum slip angle (and limit of adhesion), and the direction the car is pointed and the direction of travel are slightly different. It is considered by most the be the fastest way through a turn. F1, IRL, ChampCar, etc drivers do it all the time.

That true racing term "drift" is NOT what the japanese were interested in when they developed the "drift style." Drifitng, in this sense, is not about a simple powerslide, its about pitching the car out well before the turn, and taking the turn sideways, then positioning yourself for the next turn without regaining traction. The "perfect" drift would be pure slide, and the japanese pro drifters do it at 100+ mph.

While 1:1 drift cars are almost invariably rear wheel drive, it seems that 4WD is a preferable setup for R/C drifting. The reasons why are the same as the differences between 1:1 and r/c cars. 1:1 drift cars tend to be front engine, rear wheel drive (FR) and the chassis/unibody components are heavier, by comparison, and placed in different places. So the balance of a 1:1 car is going to be very different from the balance of an r/c car, and the weight will transfer differently when trying to corner or slide (its a polar moment of inertia thing). You also have a much much higher power/weight ratio with an R/C car. Regardless, it seems that 4WD is the way to go for R/C drift.

I run ABS tires, but I've ordered a set of the Yokomo Drift tires, just to give them a try. I figure its only fair, and I have no business even talking about them unless I try them (instead of "I heard this" or "I heard that" nonsense).

With regard to the Drift Car from Yokomo, I spoke with their reps at their booth at the D1 Grand Prix last Feb, and they confirmed that the "drift car" is really just the MR4-TC with the drift tires, body, and no shock oil (I have yet to figure that one out, will be experimenting next week). So any 4WD touring car should be just as capable of drifting.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Hyper10-3speed

Ok guys, I am going to atempt a drift car. I will be posting pictures of it over the comming weeks. I will daily post the chassie the diff's and how they are set up. The center adjustable diff. Components will be a combination of purchased largely manufactured items and custom components.

To get this thing right I will have a bit more ground clearance than say a track car but not much more than a sedan. Most of the wishbone I will create from a cad to laser application and I will offer this service to others out there that would like to gve a hand at making themselves a chassi or whatever. tires? I am not sure what to use most likely I will just buy some rubber tubbing of some sort from Mc Master Carr. They will have grip but will be solid not spong filled.

I have now made a LD3 into one hell of a drif car by swapping tires foam on the front and Belted Radial material on the back.. The problem tha tI have noticed is that it is to tail heavy and to properly wip that back end around sometime makes it spin. I will get probably a 60/40 to 55/45 front to rear layout. Then adjust the center diff to put more power to the back end.

Drift cars have to be over powered and able to control that power. By useing fast servos and setting up a pulse for the brake to stopp excessive wheel spin you can smoke some rubbers on plain asphault.

I have just orderd the Wasp .26 motor and will use one of thoughs RB inovation super chargers. This to dispell the question if they work. Personally I think it will since whenever you give a Internal cumbustion engine more feal and air normally you get more juice. So local guys claim a 5 mph gain on there 1/8ths going 75+. Impressive numbers. We will see. I will post the first picture Monday after I get the chassi back from the laser.

Casey
Old 05-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Vintage_Duff

Tigger N. Bennie i dint have 1 like thAt cause thats shaft driven
i have a different model with belt

they r not bad cars to stuff around with but if i was gonna spend $200
again on 1 i wouldn't buy it
Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Troublesome2g4

This thread has inspired me...I have a GS Storm Unlimited Truck...It has insane low end torque which is exactly what you need for drifting. I think I'm going to find out a way to make some drifting tires for this...The tires are much bigger tho...I need some ideas...

I was thinking just wrap a spare set of crap tires with a bunch of layers of duct tape, but I think the duct tape might actually give me more traction than I want...
Old 05-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Polar_Bus

Thanks Whisky for the drifting details. I have a Wasp .26 powered Ofna GTP, which in my opinion is already a "drift car" simply cause it is so over powered, has $hi$$y stock rubber, and the chassis handles soo bad, and I don't have a clue how to drive !! To my GTP's credit, it is a TOUGH car. LOL
Rich
Old 06-23-2004, 06:42 PM
kakapoopie

helo everyone..

well, my first post on here,
i just hauled out all my 3 nitro r/cs today to try to get them to start..and all i needed was one C battery....for the glow starter...sux i wish i hadnt lost my rechargable one.

wow i havnt gotten any of my 2 onroad's to start in the longest..tehyve just been collecting dust..I really feel horrible letting them sit there...i need to get them working again..

anyway...once i get a battery and try to do some troubleshooting, ill post back cuz i really need some expert advice :/.

BTW i have an oldHPI RS42 and an almost new HBTornado RTR (fast as hell) and a old old kyosho beetle buggy, that engine should be fine, but its stripped of electronics...i dont know i gues i could use the engine..

Also ive always been a huge drifting fan, so now i found this forum and im inspired to get them working again (at least one of them)

one more thing, i have an AWD xmods supra with taped wheels...my little drift MACHINE!!!!

anyway i never knew nitros could drift and its very exciting to me..ill post back soon hopefully
Old 07-14-2004, 01:33 PM
arrow

on witch tyre do jou put pvc???
on the front,rear,or all four
(i drive 4wd)

thx
Old 07-14-2004, 10:59 PM
×SlappY×

all 4
Old 07-15-2004, 02:55 PM
arrow

thx
Old 07-18-2004, 01:51 PM
arrow

so who's been drifting lately???
forum is backing of so hey drifters wake up and keep the forum alive i'd say

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.