Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

beginner need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 AM
jared185drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner need advice

hi I am new to the forum and also new to rc drifting. I drift real cars and let me tell u its expensive but I have gotten married and started college so I have no time to drift anymore. So in tje spirit of a racer I was looking at drifting rc cars. I have purchased a brand new hpi e10 and bought my own electrics for it. I was wondering if the setup I have is good for competitive drifting. So I have the e10 heres what ive done so far.
Upgrades
New bearings
New aluminum knuckles front and rear.
New aluminum driveshaft.
New aluminum steering kit
New aluminum dogbones front and rear
New aluminum propeller joints front and rear
New aluminum short shaft
New aluminum motor mount
New aluminum wheel washer
New hackmoto 23t motor
New oni-kyan front and rear arm set
Barely used futaba t4pl tx
Upgraded esc to traxxas xl5 waterproof esc
Futaba r203gf rx
Team associated servo with metal gears
New Sway bar kit

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 AM
jared185drifter

Default RE: beginner need advice

Any advice to make it better would be great as well thanks for any and all replies
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site, I moved your thread to the drifting section for better exposure to other drifters. Good luck getting the info you need!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 AM
jared185drifter

Wow no responses yet does no one like drifting
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The drifting community is a bit quiet here lately, be patient.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM
adam911

I am also new to this hobby this might be helpful for you.
 http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=813783
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 PM
ToraKitsu

ORIGINAL: jared185drifter

hi I am new to the forum and also new to rc drifting. I drift real cars and let me tell u its expensive but I have gotten married and started college so I have no time to drift anymore. So in tje spirit of a racer I was looking at drifting rc cars. I have purchased a brand new hpi e10 and bought my own electrics for it. I was wondering if the setup I have is good for competitive drifting. So I have the e10 heres what ive done so far.
Upgrades
New bearings
New aluminum knuckles front and rear.
New aluminum driveshaft.
New aluminum steering kit
New aluminum dogbones front and rear
New aluminum propeller joints front and rear
New aluminum short shaft
New aluminum motor mount
New aluminum wheel washer
New hackmoto 23t motor
New oni-kyan front and rear arm set
Barely used futaba t4pl tx
Upgraded esc to traxxas xl5 waterproof esc
Futaba r203gf rx
Team associated servo with metal gears
New Sway bar kit

New to this forum, too, but not drift.Not quite certain what to tell you, but the E10 isn't exactly what a seasoned drifter would call a "competitive" drift chassis. First and foremost is the brittleness of the chassis tub. First good contact with a barrier or curb will most likely crack it. Not much can be done about that. HPI molded the E10 in the wrong plastic, and have never changed. At the amount you have already spent on it, I would say go ahead and use it, but I would seriously consider getting something more appropriate for drift. It doesn't have to be a carbon chassis, but nearly any 1/10th scale touring car chassis can be made to drift, and there are only a handful that can be made to drift, but aren't the best choices, the HPI Sprint 2 and E10 are among them. As a suggestion, I would recommend something by Tamiya. Any of Tamiya's touring car chassis can be made to drift, and would be a better choice than the E10. I really don't mean to be a buzzkill, but you're asking for advice, that's mine.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Chuckles_78

I am new to the site and a noob as well. Looking for some info on drift cars. I bought a Traxxas Rally 1/16 a few months ago not thinking anything of the drift sport at hand. I see its been around for quite a few years now and does well. Shaft driven cars are great but it doesnt give you the power ratio from front to back at all. Now im looking at the belt driven cars and am in a budget range of the$300. Any suggestions or ideas??? Thinking of getting the HPI 69 Mustang. Any good?? Thoughts??

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 PM
ToraKitsu

ORIGINAL: Chuckles_78

I am new to the site and a noob as well. Looking for some info on drift cars. I bought a Traxxas Rally 1/16 a few months ago not thinking anything of the drift sport at hand. I see its been around for quite a few years now and does well. Shaft driven cars are great but it doesnt give you the power ratio from front to back at all. Now im looking at the belt driven cars and am in a budget range of the$300. Any suggestions or ideas??? Thinking of getting the HPI 69 Mustang. Any good?? Thoughts??

Any help is appreciated.
If belt drive is what you're after, here are a few things to consider....The surface you run on should be relatively clean - the cleaner the better. Next, with a budget of $300, you're limited to a few chassis, but is that amount for the kit only, or all up? There isn't much in the way of quality for that price range, if you're looking for an RTR, especially with belt drives. The HPI Sprint 2 is the "de-facto" chassis many fall for, but it has it's own set of "foibles," not the least of which is it's bad balance for drifting. Their E10 is even worse. The plastic chassis tub is VERY brittle. One good whack, and it's cracked. Sooooo.....you'll have to do some reflecting on this - spend more for a good belt-driven chassis, or settle for a "cheapie." I'm NOT saying you have to spend upwards of $1,000, but you will require more than $300 for a good drift platform, that will grow with your increase in skill, and not eventually limit you, which most, if not all cheap chassis end up doing.As an example of the discipline, I have been drifting for roughly seven years. I started with an HPI Sprint 2, and went on to replace it (relatively quickly) with other, more expensive belt-drives, and now, all my drifters are belt-driven carbon chassis, save one, which is a Traxxas KB Rally, that was HEAVILY modified for drift. It now does well, but will never reach the level my belt-drives have. I am now doing CS (countersteer) drifting, which practically demands high-priced chassis. There ARE exceptions, of course, like the Sakura D3, but that is not a carbon chassis.So, let us know what that $300 budget refers to, and maybe there is something we can look up or recommend.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Chuckles_78

Thank you ToraKitsu. It started with the idea that hit me one day, now I can get something that I always wanted when I was a kid, an rc car. I didnt do the research when I got my 1/16 Traxxas Rally. After looking up hop up videos on YouTube, I started noticing drifting videos and got hooked. The HPI 69 Mustang is the full RTR setup for around $300 with shipping. So here it is...everybody is different when it comes to cars and setups. I want to get into it and need help. Where do I go? Where do I look? What is a good price range? I'm a total beginner at this and I want to do it right the first time.

Thank you for any inout.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 AM
ToraKitsu

ORIGINAL: Chuckles_78

Thank you ToraKitsu. It started with the idea that hit me one day, now I can get something that I always wanted when I was a kid, an rc car. I didnt do the research when I got my 1/16 Traxxas Rally. After looking up hop up videos on YouTube, I started noticing drifting videos and got hooked. The HPI 69 Mustang is the full RTR setup for around $300 with shipping. So here it is...everybody is different when it comes to cars and setups. I want to get into it and need help. Where do I go? Where do I look? What is a good price range? I'm a total beginner at this and I want to do it right the first time.

Thank you for any inout.
O.K., here it is, my opinion only, so you are free to take or leave it, but I really had no baseline to operate from, and no one to help me, so this will come from that background, and includes all the mistakes I made:I went for an ARTR HPI Sprint 2 (that is no longer offered), and quickly learned how bad that chassis really was, for the novice drifter, of which I was, at the time. I immediately bought (this, in the span of six months) a Tamiya TA05 VDF kit, that a friend who lives in Japan told me about. This was the first production run, of the first 1,000, so I got it before anyone in the US even knew what a "VDF" was. It went for $270 + shipping, then, and look at what they go for, today, domestically! I'll NEVER pay that for ANY chassis, carbon or no.... Fast forward a couple of years.......I find a Losi JRXS Type "R" kit for sale at my LHS for $200! A carbon chassis TC racer! I bought that sucker without a second thought, and it turned out to not only be a FAST track racer, but an EXCELLENT drift platform, too. Fast forward another six months......Tamiya releases their new TA06. I went and picked up one of those, and found it to be VERY similar to the JRXS-R, and lo and behold, it drives and drifts the same! That was a plastic chassis, and it now has a few conversion kits available for it. I sold it, and rue that day, because I really miss the TA06. I will eventually get another, because it IS a great on-road chassis.Now, All these kits ended up costing me a pretty penny in the long run, but Inadvertently, I put myself on the fast-track learning curve, And seven years later, and many, many kits later, I'm still no pro, by any means, but I do know what works and what doesn't, for my style of driving/drifting, so anything I say to you may not work for you, BUT.....If I may make a few suggestions.....First and foremost, look for a kit (RTR's, while nice, have areas where they go "cheap" to keep the overall costs down, and this is where many just go kit, because a kit allows one to "tailor" their chassis with whatever electronics they want) that has the features you want, as close as it can get. Now some kits might be what are known as "clones," and should be avoided. They will have VERY attractive pricing, compared to the models they are copied from, so this will be a definite red flag. Clones tend to use very inferior materials, and will break with minimal use, sometimes.Try taking a look at some Tamiya kits. There are a few that would fit what you are after, at prices you will find attractive, and I recommend either a TT01e (shaft drive), or, if you are a bit more adventurous, and don't mind the extra expense, an XV01 (belt drive). There is also the TA06, that is in the same price range as the XV01, and it is also a belt drive. Now, electronics will be extra, but you can get away inexpensively, by going to a cheap electronics house like HobbyKing. Drift tires will also be required, and there is really only one source for those, and that's Raikou. You can reach them at raikoudrifttires.com. I recommend one of their combo packs. Their DXPE's are their best sellers, and work almost anywhere. Raikou's prices are also VERY affordable, so that's another plus. Just be advised, that at this point, you will be spending upwards of $600 or maybe more, depending on what kit/components you get, but that really is a baseline, when it comes to RC drifting, and I am looking at it from a perspective of you getting something that will "grow" with you, instead of something you'll have to eventually replace, when your skills improve.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 AM
ToraKitsu

Oh.....btw, forgot to include these in the last post:Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, TQRC Racing, are all good places to get/find something that will fit your needs. Try them!