Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Cheaters? I think not. abs/pvc are great

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Cheaters? I think not. abs/pvc are great

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:34 PM
monster belair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheaters? I think not. abs/pvc are great

There is a thread here about some guy complaining that pvc/abs is cheating. The thing is we don't all have nitro trucks with the power to drift. A lot of us (poor people) have electric cars and trucks. Drifting with pvc is just a fun hard thing to master. FUN.......
Old 01-06-2005, 01:01 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cheaters? I think not. abs/pvc are great

you said it!!! i dont have the money to throw around on pairs and pairs of tires!!! and yes skill is required. [:'(]
Old 01-06-2005, 02:53 AM
hpi drift fever

but the people that complain about how abs is fake are complete hypocrites. i explaiend in that other thread. even with a nitro car, its still completely fake and is not realistically duplicating real drifting. it only looks like it. but theres nothign wrong with that.

anyways. everyone everywhere needs to stop saying using abs/pvc is fake. the fact is there is NO POSSIBLE way to drift a RC like a REAL drifter.

its a super fun way to spend yoru rc time. and TONS cheaper that havign to buy super hot motors/esc/batts just so you can destroy 20 dollar tires every run.

using abs/pvc is the SMART way to drift

glad to see not everyone is on the whole "abs/pvc is fake" bandwagon. its getting old and will die out as people realize andn think about weight transfer/physics/weight placement etc in a RC and see that no matter what you do with a RC you can never ACTUALLY duplicate 1:1 drifting. all you can do is make it LOOK the same (same goes for real tires, all your doing is making it look the same, using real tires doesnt change that you still cant copy real drifting no matter what with rc)

fact of the matter is ITS FUN and with abs/pvc you can do it super cheap! so everyone keep on driftin!

Old 01-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Gorbee

I'm bored at school and decided to as my one penny (I'm too skint for anymore ) Definition, as quoted by a 'real drifter' is " A controlled loss of traction" ([link=http://www.automotiveforums.com/t206490.html]http://www.automotiveforums.com/t206490.html[/link]) Everywhere I have looked has not mentioned anything about what to use on their wheels. So when we are using ABS/PVC/whatever, does that mean we don't have controlled loss of traction? Does that mean we cannot drift? No it doesn't. I wonder what would happen if we coated drifting car tyres in PVC. See how that works
Old 01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
BodyTuner

Drifting is all about skill and controlling your car when you loss traction.You can drift on tramac,gravel,snow or ice an on tires,pvc or wheels.Its all drift.So drift=control
Old 01-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Nitro_Evader_Basher

how can you cheat when your just having fun? whats the harm of trying to have fun?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:39 PM
monster belair

OK i just learned how the people drift without pvc. It's still not real drifting, it's all just customizing your truck/car for the loss of traction that you need. Although you don't have to buy new tires with pvc/abs.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:00 PM
hpi drift fever

ORIGINAL: monster belair

OK i just learned how the people drift without pvc. It's still not real drifting, it's all just customizing your truck/car for the loss of traction that you need. Although you don't have to buy new tires with pvc/abs.
that is EXACTLY why i say its not possible to ACTUALLY duplicate REAL drifting with RC. no matter what tires you are usign real or pvc/abs its still isnt even close to real drifting. it only LOOKS like we are drifting like REAL drifters. and frankly thats all that matters.

just because someone is using REAL tires will NEVER overcome the fact that because of the physics of a RC car and weight positioning that a RC will never be able to accurately duplicate real drifting. all ANYONE can do is make it look the same. and frankly everyoen using abs/pvc LOOKS alot more liek real drifting than with regular tires.

SO KEEP ON DRIFTIN FOLKS and be proud that because you are using abs/pvc your RC looks ALOT more like real drifting than any1 on real tires
Old 01-07-2005, 06:46 PM
teddansonsplane

"real" drifting isn't even real drifting. originally people would drift in rally cars and the like to go faster. if you want to copy a REAL drifter go out and buy a subaru, or my favorite, a peugot 306 shell. rc cars have an insane amount of traction compaired to full scale cars. i think abs matches the phyisics of full scale cars better then rubber tires.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:17 PM
hpi drift fever

also think about the scale speed we are drifting at!!! no REAL car could do it

20mph in a 1/10 car = 200mph!!
Old 01-09-2005, 04:51 AM
WhiskyVR-4

People are really running around saying something as stupid as "drifting with abs isn't drifting"? Listen, I drift my car regularly. Don't believe me? Check out the video section of www.land-ho.net and click ont he middle video. My S14 is the white one. I've also been an R/C freak for 15 years, so naturally I drift my touring cars. Its all drifting, get over it. Saying that real r/c drifting requires rubber tires is beyond absurd. Ignore them and have fun.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:12 AM
classic-trial

Help me.... some people say "it looks like drifting but it isn't"

So, what is it? I tell you, it's drifting! This discussion is really absurd!
Also the post that RC cars have more grip than real cars - sorry just not true!
We should learn that we can't trick the physics! Even real cars have a grip coefficient around 1 (please don't blame for not having put in cinsideration the wings - that would be too complicated!). Dragsters even more.

20mph at 1:10 is 200mph real? really?? NO!
Think of the weight..., resulting forces...,
2kg at 1:10... 10x10x10=1000 => 2kg x 1000 = 2000kg ... not bad!

what about weight and center of gravity? Well forget it... its low, but the track width is 1:10 also!

So, go on drifting, I never learned "not to drift", its juts a different way of cornering - with all its advatages and disavantages!

The idea of using an other material to drift with is also good, I just glue some rubber bands over my tyres - works fine!
AND PLEASE, STOP USING PVC AS DRIFT-WHEELS, PVC is not ideal for enviromental issues because it contains chlorine!

Regards
Phil
Old 01-15-2005, 02:53 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

U GOTTA REALISISE!!!.....electric is way better 4 drifting then nitro!!!!!..... can't u guys get it?!!!! electric has way more bottom end torque!!!!!.... nitro has next 2 none!!!!....and u need low end torqe 2 drift!!!![:@][:@][:@] therefore electric is better!!!
Old 01-15-2005, 03:36 PM
cossie

boy shut up about the pvc it is fine and if it dont do 200mph then y dio they call it scale speed bcuz it has being scaled down 10 times from 200mph thats y times it back up and whut u get 200mph

ORIGINAL: classic-trial

Help me.... some people say "it looks like drifting but it isn't"

So, what is it? I tell you, it's drifting! This discussion is really absurd!
Also the post that RC cars have more grip than real cars - sorry just not true!
We should learn that we can't trick the physics! Even real cars have a grip coefficient around 1 (please don't blame for not having put in cinsideration the wings - that would be too complicated!). Dragsters even more.

20mph at 1:10 is 200mph real? really?? NO!
Think of the weight..., resulting forces...,
2kg at 1:10... 10x10x10=1000 => 2kg x 1000 = 2000kg ... not bad!

what about weight and center of gravity? Well forget it... its low, but the track width is 1:10 also!

So, go on drifting, I never learned "not to drift", its juts a different way of cornering - with all its advatages and disavantages!

The idea of using an other material to drift with is also good, I just glue some rubber bands over my tyres - works fine!
AND PLEASE, STOP USING PVC AS DRIFT-WHEELS, PVC is not ideal for enviromental issues because it contains chlorine!

Regards
Phil
Old 01-16-2005, 06:02 AM
classic-trial

@ Cossie
1. Better you shut up and start thinking! Don't know where you would know that PVC is fine - I'm into plastics production and know very well what's going on - PVC will be prohibited in near future due to to the problems its bringing. Maybe it would not be such a problem if there would be more people unlike you that would think of what they do -> you just were not able to get what it is all about!
2. Yeah - scale speed is really practic - it's so easy to calculate, more would be expected to much!

@SAEWOT
You're right about the low end torque, sure. But I just like the nitro sound In fact my battery packs are all gone when I use them 1 time in 2 years... my nitros just work... but the new brushless engines and these light LIPO packs are really cool... once etablished in cars they will boost them ahead of nitro cars (forever?!)!

regards
Phil
Old 01-16-2005, 06:52 AM
cossie

nah i wont
Old 01-16-2005, 01:42 PM
monster belair

It is true, rc cars have way better traction than real cars.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:48 PM
classic-trial

well... so tell me why? I really wonder - the physical laws are the same, no?

Greez
Phil
Old 01-16-2005, 10:01 PM
cssdev

Has anyone tried materials other than pvc/abs for drifting? There's probably something a little softer than abs that could give more traction but still provide enough slickness to drift. Nylon?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:59 PM
GMdrifter

has anyone tried using any type of sheet metal around their tires. would it make sparks. that would bo soooooooo bad ass!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:09 AM
cssdev

To simulate what?... Get some sparklers and tape them to the rockers of your body....sparks [X(][X(][X(]
Old 01-18-2005, 01:25 PM
brianchristie

I went and purchased a 10-foot piece of 2" ABS pipe ($4.39) and used my miter box & saw to cut in into a bunch of 2" "tires".
I then press-fitted them on to some real cheap "touring car" wheels, added a little CA and am having a BLAST learing to drift.

ABS pipe looks like tires, PVC doesn't.

I do my hobbies to please myself, not anyone else. Do what is fun for YOU, not to please some forum person.

Enjoy & have fun!

(oh, sparklers would be fun for the 4th of July!)
Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 PM
cssdev

Most of us use abs piping to drift with. Another step that I do to make them more realistic is cut the pipe 5mm wider than the rim and add chrome tape to the 'lip' to simulate a deepdish wheel. Others even take it another step further and setup the pipe in a lathe and give it an angled edge to simulate that stretched look like the D1 cars. I am thinking of getting a mirco lathe to do this myself, it looks really nice.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Nitro_D82

Hi,

Sorry to drag up an old thread (actually.. no I'm not)

I am just looking at restoring my Nitro car after a rather large off caused a collection of things to break. I don't have electric, and I can't afford another car, so Nitro is what I will be using.

Question is:, Has anybody tried bicycle inner tubes turned inside out over their tyres? they may not be the flattest ride, but would give a happy medium between grip and lack there of. just a thought

Dave
1st time Poster [>:]
Old 06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Savage_OWNS

ORIGINAL: S.A.E.W.O.T.

U GOTTA REALISISE!!!.....electric is way better 4 drifting then nitro!!!!!..... can't u guys get it?!!!! electric has way more bottom end torque!!!!!.... nitro has next 2 none!!!!....and u need low end torqe 2 drift!!!![:@][:@][:@] therefore electric is better!!!

not if u use some insanely tight clutch springs............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.