Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Matt and Al RWD Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
matt c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matt and Al RWD Drifting

So, a few of us have decided to go RWD again. We tried this a few years back, but got discouraged because it was so hard. We've been drifting 4wd for the past 5 years and needed a new challenge. I've noticed all the hype about 'countersteer' cars and thought why not do the real countersteer instead of trying to make a 4wd drift like a 2wd. Out came the front CVDs.

My good friend Al came over last night to do some testing and tuning. It was rather successful if you ask me. I think we're off to a good start. Sorry, I'm having a hard time with posting the links.......I'm not sure how to embed photobucket videos.

Thanks for looking.

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVI_0824.mp4

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVI_0832.mp4

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVI_0829.mp4

Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
winon69

Default RE: Matt and Al RWD Drifting

IMO looks nice!! but i think its more of a challenge than rather having fun doing it!!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Freequensee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does look rather frustrating to get 2WD drift going. What tires/chassis were you running?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:25 PM
matt c

We were using HPI A Drift tires. Earlier we were running HPI X pattern grip tires. Both work great, but the HPI A drift are a bit more forgiving for beginning. I'm running a Team Associated TC4 chassis, the white Mitsubishi hard body. Al has an HPI Cyclone, Mustang hard body. Both chassis are modified to have front mount motors and front mounted servos for better front weight ballance.

Here's another clip from last night. Some good drifts in the first bit. I'm posting these to see who's interested in rwd drifting. I also want to show my progress and see if anyone else is doing this. It's only going to get better. 4wd drifing was this hard in the beginning too. Sorry the footage is in raw. I'm not much for editing. I really should learn. Maybe some better camera angles too.

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVI_0825.mp4

Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM
kstmRYD

I applaud your efforts but I hate to say it but those 2wd were just doing donuts, not drifting. 1/10 cars just don't have the physics of a 1:1 car in order to truly drift like the real McCoy. But heck who knows if you guys keep at it you may just get it and prove us wrong and come out with a whole line of 2wd drift cars.

Good Luck with it!

Here is a video with some counter steer going on.

http://www.hyperdrift.com/forum/view...hp?f=48&t=2933

by the way the tires you are using are way to grippy, try a poly compound tire, it will help you slide and not go into a donut.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 PM
kingJurzy

The guy on top of this post is right use less grippy tires. A thing you might want to do with the rwd car is adding weight to the front ( an engin block on a 1:1 ) and as light as possible in the back. You can achieve this in 2 ways, adding alot of weight to the front or putting the motor up front and putting a little more weight after that. I think u already did the 2nd one but I tryed the front motor conversion with my sprint 2 and It fored fine for rwd drift but I could never get it to slide peerfectly because I was useing a 5.5T brushless motor. A 27T motor would do the trick for you tho.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
matt c

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm looking for others who have tried this and had some success.

I know of these polyethlene tires very well. I've been manufacturing and selling them my self for the past four years. I buy the material in 100' rolls. To be quite honest, I havent tried them yet. I wil be sure to do so now.

Donuts hey? Hmm.................You really think so?

Edit:

I got the video link to work. I had to sign up an account. Great editing. I use to do that sort of drifing. I'm not really interested in that anymore. I've mastered the art of 4wd, now I'm off to conquer rwd. Thanks for sharing though, looks like you have a great spot to practice there!

Another clip.

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVI_0827.mp4

Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 AM
fastandloud

I dont know..it looks like your on your way but right now it just looks like 2 cars turning right and sliding out just a bit.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 PM
matt c

Here's a clip of me drifting corner 3. I've changed the weight ballance to 50/50 front/rear. Seems to handle better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGcavvsZST0[/youtube]

Here's corner 1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN2h2eTEVvQ[/youtube]
Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 PM
cbr6fs

Have to agree 100% with kstmRYD, all i see are several vids showing how bad rwd RC cars drift.

End of the day it's your time to pass as you please.
But without being able to string together different corners and being able to put together at least 1 lap fully sideways without spinning out, it's a bit boring to watch.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 PM
matt c

ORIGINAL: cbr6fs

Have to agree 100% with kstmRYD, all i see are several vids showing how bad rwd RC cars drift.

End of the day it's your time to pass as you please.
But without being able to string together different corners and being able to put together at least 1 lap fully sideways without spinning out, it's a bit boring to watch.
This is showing my progress. I'm not trying to entertain anyone here. You might be too use to the cartoon look of 4wd drifting, which to me is nothing like the real thing.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 PM
cbr6fs

Don't really understand your logic to be honest.
The videos you have posted look absolutely nothing like full sized car drifting, be it rwd or 4wd.

It's not even drifting, as there's not one slide where the rear is under a sustained, controlled slide.

If i want realistic drifting then i'll book a track session and take my full sized car.
RC drifting is not about looking the same as full sized drifting, the physics and forces involved simply rule that out.

If you enjoy messing about with rwd RC cars fair enough, it's all about having fun.
But you've yet to show me anything that looks remotely like drifting, so i disagree that you have been successful so far.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 AM
matt c

I've done some modifications to get more control of my steering. I've found that I need more fine control for counter steering. This gave me 2.5 times more wheel angle from full lock left to full lock right. I had to reverse my servo also. My wheel angle when from 72 total degrees to 173 total degrees.

http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MVI_0945.mp4

Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
wrcsti

Enlighten me on how that adds more angle.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 PM
matt c

I realize it's been a wast of my time posting this on this forum. Take care!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:37 PM
kstmRYD

Hey Matt - I see you have the talent to tinker!!! I use to rip stuff apart and modify when I was a kid and my dad use to tell me - "one day you're going to make it to the moon!" Never made it to the moon, but hell got close in my book. I built and ran a 10 second mopar by age 20, had a customizing shop for over 15 years - lifted them, lowered them, chopped tops, killa hydraulics and so on....... it was a good ride. So I never made it to the moon, but got to go as fast as hell here on earth!!!

And guess what...with every mod and build I did "Houston, we have a problem!" - nothing ever goes smooth, so keep tinkering!!! I have to admit I love your drive man, keep the gears turning brother!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:19 PM
RC Flight

Hey Matt. I know this thread is a bit old now but I would like to share my progress with rwd drift. I like to think I have it basically close to dialed now. Check out my vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZR_tdtUMKw

Jake
Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 PM
kstmRYD

got some good counter steer going on there! keep working on it, you are definitely on to something there! Take it to the next step, on a larger track outdoors.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 PM
BlueShade Zero

Thats... Actually not as bad as i thought it was gana be. Its extremely precise for being a RWDdrifter, even if its super slow. Super scaled tbh... If you wana go for "realistic scale drift"you cant have the RCdoing like 10-20 MPH. By scale, RC's can do over a thousand miles per hour. The engines also have hundreds of times the power real cars do in scale. Just some quirks that will generally make it bad for RWDapplications, but you've seem to overcome that. Nice!

The OPlikely wont ever see this post though. He left last year because people were being douche bags about it. Frankly i wouldnt be wasting my time to show my efforts if i got the same reception.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 PM
RC Flight

Thanks guys. Yes the car is actually very precise. This vid was takes the day I designed the track (before that I was drifting in a way smaller area, see other vids on my channel). I am now allot smoother on the steering. Rwd is about 3x more fun and realistic then any awd I have drifted. Seeing the the car enter the bend at 90d with the wheels slammed to to 85deg is simply amazing! I am now almost finished mounting an R32 body. I cant wait to see the thing ripp with the body on, should be sweet.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 AM
woody_294

Mate that looks really good! I guess you'd have to be bloody good at control, I wonder if this is a cheaper alternative to cs for me to try? I think I may need to increase my steering angle though!
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 AM
BlueShade Zero

Well, to drift like this i think you'd need an obnoxiously large steering angle... However, the main limiter, the CVD/dog bones are no longer present, so you can get them to turn as far as they'll physically go on your chassis.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 AM
RC Flight

Yes you guys are right. To drift rwd you need allot of lock angle. I have around 85deg on my car. I had it at 90deg lock but that was a bit extreme.. I dont think it would possible to mod a factory chassis to have anywhere close to that without extreme work. I chose to just design my own front end.

Here are some pics of the car. These were taken before I mounted the 330gr weight to the front of the car and put the mamba in.

http://img839.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc03772xy.jpg

http://img831.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc03811v.jpg
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM
RC Flight

Hey guys here is a recent vid of my RWD after messing around with the shocks and springs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvgWlBR5E7c[/youtube]
Old 04-09-2011, 03:13 PM
woody_294

Looking good! It doesn't look like it's easy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.