Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

How To: Diff Lock a TT-01

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:24 AM
Kevinator9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To: Diff Lock a TT-01

and another thing, i know i may sound like an ametuer but i have only just recently purchased a TT-01 and am a bit aworried i could damage it. Don't you want to the front diff locked so that the back wheels spin to slide the tail out??? Or am i wrong?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Auslide
Banned

Lock the Back only..
Locking the Rear Diff cause the Tail to slide out..
Locking the front will cause the Front wheels to Under Steer..
This is Great for Wide long Slides, but ruins your Set up for Technical Drifts..

We advise locking the rear Only

Old 08-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Auslide
Banned

Bumped Up So people Can find out how to Lock a TL-01/ TT-01 Diff.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Auslide
Banned

Bump Again.. Some People still want to know how to Lock a TT-01 Diff
Old 10-27-2006, 05:29 AM
itsnotskidding

hahahahaha... funny...why cant people understand that everyone will have a different method????...

i used a hot glue gun and let it run and that way got into all the gaps, and it been fine, didnt melt either..
but hey im sure someone else will say its not strong enough...haha

this site is sooooo funny!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Auslide
Banned

crash alot, Hot glue is not for noobs, it has its dangers and makes the lock permanent, with Blu-Tac or play dough, the diff is physically untouched so to reverse it all you do is remove the Play dough and re grease.. Its a lot harder to do with Hot glue..

There are many methods but the Blu-tac and Playdough are more noob friendly..

I have even heard of a paper locker, Opening the Diff and Cramming paper in between the gears is also suppossed to work..
Old 10-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Quicksilver

everyones so hostile, hes just trying to help

Even if the diff isnt completely locked, this could be a good thing. It wouldn't slip very much at all.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:05 PM
itsnotskidding

wow.. im a noob.. wonder if i can change my user name 2 that..lol, oh well... noob it is, i suppose i could even get a t-shirt with that written on it..lol
Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 AM
HoaRC

will loctite threadlocker work instead of glue? the metal bond is supposed to be reversible when you heat it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 AM
TIGER76

Should do m8 but u need to decide it u want it fully locked or half locked depending on what you use will force the diff to lock more i always use little balls of paper so its not fully locked and gives a bit of play for drifting
Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM
SIRCC

I guess it depends on your budget, I put a 3Racing locked diff in the rear and a one way in the front and drift better than alot of the guys in the club
Old 12-13-2009, 07:15 AM
magnat

That could be down to your driving skill. Give someone else the same set up and they will just spin.

P.S This thread is like 3 years old.. I dug it up to assist someone in locking their rear diff
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Crazy_Kid

I'm sure a lot has changed in 4 year since this thread was started...But Yeah Racing do a alloy solid axle bit to lock the diff, pretty cheap & easy...i got mine off ebay for like AU$11.00

P.S. i'm only new here, so hope i'm doing this right...

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 PM
magnat

Yes its good to keep the TT-01 Diff Lock thread up to date...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 AM
13BT

With all the demand for locked diffs, I wonder why manufacturers dont include one in the kits?

My old Tamiya XC (offroading 4wd) had a purpose-made piece of plastic you could fit in the diff to lock it. It was easy to take it out again if you wanted to. It would sure save working with messy glues and putties.
That kit came out in the early 90's...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
screamingmonkey

team atlas and eagle racing also make diff lockers for tt-01, i have the eagle racing version and it was cheap.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:26 PM
klx300

New to the drifting world and still waiting on my TT01D Type E to arrive. Wondering if I should lock the rear diff when I do the initial build or run it for a while with the stock diff to work on my driving skills before I lock it? I have done alot of reading on the different ways of locking the rear diff but have not heard anyone mention if it's a good idea to enter the drifting world with a locked diff, or to wait so you know what the change makes to the car?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 PM
moezer

ORIGINAL: klx300

New to the drifting world and still waiting on my TT01D Type E to arrive. Wondering if I should lock the rear diff when I do the initial build or run it for a while with the stock diff to work on my driving skills before I lock it? I have done alot of reading on the different ways of locking the rear diff but have not heard anyone mention if it's a good idea to enter the drifting world with a locked diff, or to wait so you know what the change makes to the car?
think about it like this, try to drift a car thats front wheel drive with out using ur ebrake and not going back words. You cant really do it as good

Think about driving a rear wheel drive car, take the tractioncontrol off and take a corner slow and turn ur wheels all the way and punch the gas the car will fishtail and if u know how to handel it you will drift the corner.

now think of this, when u hold 1 tire of the 4 wheels that are spinning on the drift car they will get more power and spin faster, but now ur forcing the back to spin faster then the front when u lock ur diffs and keep ur fronts unlocked, the back will spin faster making it easyer to fishtail while still having grip from the front wheels, if 1 front wheel stops then the power will channel threw 3 wheels making the car drift better.

While you drift to one side, one of the front tires will slow down a bit making 3 tires a bit faster making your drift more cleaner
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 AM
kstmRYD

@ klx300 - a locked rear and a front one way is one of the most popular setups (especially for tight complex layouts) because the rear wheels will have the exact amount of slippage yielding consistency as opposed to a ball diff which is designed for grip. A locked diff will allow you to feather your throttle without it causing slip grip problems in the rear. A locked rear diff is most noticable with grippier tires, use the same tires on a ball diff and then on a locked diff and you will notice that you can break the rear much easier and with much more consistent control with the locked diff.

A front one way will give you the slip and grip needed in order to switchback the car in nice tight S curves (oversimplifying this). Some will argue the use or necessity of a oneway and locked diff and they may have valid reasons that apply to how they are drifting. For example guys who "parking lot bash" with high speed long drifts, in this style interia will keep the car sliding, I can slide a brick at 35+mph.

But the ball game changes when you slide with a bunch of guys on a track or with team mates whos purpose it to slide in syn all around the layout, most will agree that a one way locked diff will yield the precise control you need to drift like this.

So the bottom line is you will find that you need to tune your car to a particular driving style and track layout. When I was a newbee I could not achieve the moves the other guys where doing with a oneway/locked diff setup and my loose front ball diff and tightened up rear ball diff. I followed the suggestion of a season drifter put in a one way and locked the rear and never turned back.