Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Which is better Electric or gas?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Which is better Electric or gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
wtigerikm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better Electric or gas?

is a gas car better or electric

cause i found this and i don't know about this stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamiya-58358...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Spartan-Drifter
Banned

Default RE: Which is better Electric or gas?

"To Each His Own"

Personally, electric is better, because of easier maintenence without the loss of personalization. Some like the maintenece, but for a beginner drifter, go with electric first. I dont know what you like but itll be impressive
Old 01-27-2007, 10:52 PM
RC freak

go with electric....it's much less maintainance and less messy...but if you got dat need for speed go wid nitro
Old 01-28-2007, 01:46 AM
ewoo

i got a nitro, and had it for like 2 weeks now and had to do alot of work on it, but to be honest , i like it.. insted of just taking out an electric and nothing ever going wrong lol.. sounds weird, but nitro is more realistic.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Auslide
Banned

Electric...

No mess no fuss and no cops on your butt for noise polution..
Acceleration from an Electric is lightning and the throttle response is so much better when Drifting..

As long as it is an Electric AWD it will drift..
Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Rs43EVOman

For a begginer, electric would definetly be yor best choice. IVe drifterd both, and electrics are alot less maintence, and they do drift better. That car you linked to is an absolute awesome drifter. The ta05 cahssis has awesome wieght distribution, and i would say its just as good as any other cars out there. And that is a great price. Obviously everyone has there own little favorites and opinions, but if you get that car, youll never need to upgrade to somthing better.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:42 PM
wtigerikm

where would i buy a cheep body to put on it?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:13 PM
wtigerikm

what is the diffrence in the top car and this car besides the body?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamiya-58359...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-28-2007, 04:08 PM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

top car=Ta05
bottom car= Tt-01
Old 01-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Neon_guy

Personal preference. I toil on 1:1 cars so I have no interest (right now) on having to constantly tune my real car to go have fun, then constantly tune my 1:10 car to have fun. ONE of them just needs to go. Soooooooo, I went electric. If you're dead set on tuning and want the best of both worlds (since many shops don't run nitros inside during those cold winter months) start circuit racing an elec car. That way, you have the tuner piece (cuz it'll break when you race...A LOT) and when you go drifting, it'll be a pretty much start and drive type of thing. Great comprimise.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:44 AM
jonsmilez

yeah bro, its all preference, if ur cheap, dont have money dont liek messy ****, go slectric, if u dont mind spending sum doh and all that go with nitro, its ALOT more realistic, but u also run into more problems... thats a presonal choice, but good luck
Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Fr33ze

Well, with a little experience you will find the nitro drifter is the way to go. If you can tune a nitro, then theres no problems...
If you run the nitro WOT all the time then yea, xpect it to die fast. I havent had any problems in the last 3 months running my old kyosho spider mk2. The only thing that I need to do is replace the tires every now and then due to xtreme use... I Never have to re-tune it, as long as its running slobering rich and it dont stall, then its all good. Top speed isnt an issue... Yea, its greasy, yea you will get a little dirt on your hands, but that is the price to pay to have 100 times more fun, and IMO its worth every minute. If your worried bout getting dirty then stay with the e-drifters I guess...

Start with a (cheap) electric, then when your board with it and have more driving/drifting experience, go getta nitro and have both, like me!

My poor ta-03f hasnt seen the light of day since I got the spider running, lol.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Neon_guy

nITRO isn't 100x's more fun. IT's just 100x's more work. They both do the same thing. ONe just does it a bit faster (which isn't neccessarily a good thing). same angles. same distance...just can't run nitro as many places as you can a elec...or for as long
Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Spartan-Drifter
Banned

you sellin that ta03F? Im interested
Old 01-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Fr33ze

This debate will go on forever cuz most ppl are biased since they have never owned (or operated) a nitro drifter...

ORIGINAL: Neon_guy

nITRO isn't 100x's more fun. IT's just 100x's more work. They both do the same thing. ONe just does it a bit faster (which isn't neccessarily a good thing). same angles. same distance...just can't run nitro as many places as you can a elec...or for as long

You obviously dont have a nitro drifter, so dont talk it down please... If your not into "working" for your "hobby" then its just another "toy". If you havent got any mechanical experience then I guess nitro is way outta your leauge. I have spent most my life working on 1:1 cars and snowmobiles, modding, tuning, fixing, so Im really into these little nitro engines, and I dont see them as a hassle to work on. And like Ive stated, I havent worked on my spider for 3 months now, and I run it practly every day! And being a 10year old kyosho, you know I cant get parts anymore, so how is it Im still driftin it??

Nitro vs electric isnt about the cars capibilitys since they both do the job, IMO, its more the owners ability to drive and work on them... Yea, you dont get to run it inside, but being nitro I need all the space I can get! And I can run it all day long, and the next day, and the next... So why you say I cant run it as long as electrics is beond me... And winter dont stop me eather, I just find a nice cleared parking lot, pop up the cones and giver!

When I go and use my e-drifter, i get board really fast. And no one seems interested in watching (which is the reason I drift, hehe). But, when the spider comes out, EVERYONE stops to watch. I even had police stop and watch me drift! Now how cool is that?

Noob = electric
Experienced = both since they have there own "feel"

This is like someone saying that you cant drift with a 2wd. YEA, it can be done, its done all the time with 1:1 cars, but you need to have a "feel" for the throttle since a 2wd will do most of the handling at the rear of the car using the throttle. More throttle = less traction = more slide, back off the throttle and you can re-gain traction. Only experience will make it happen. If you havent experienced it, (or cant get it right) dont say its not possable, cuz someone else will prove you wrong.

Or like when someone says runnig a nitro engine without a pipe cant be done... well it can, and I did it with a couple small modz. I drilled a hole for the fuel pressure fitting right into the header, and made a little stinger tip to put on the end and it works great.

Anyway, its more fun for me to run the nitro vs the electric... At least I can run regular rubber tires and pull of some wicked drifts so it looks even more realistic, I really dont like the ICE effect we get from using ABS... lol.

My next drifter is gonna be an RS4 evo... Cuz I hate belts.

Just my 2 cents...

Damn Spartan, if I hadda known you where interested in my TA-03F I wouldnt have tore it down for parts for my buddies TA-02, doh! What where you looking for? I have most parts still, it needs a sper gear (the only place I can find them is on flebay), springs ( I have the shocks), bushings, some screws, body, and shock towers, but the rest is there... The drivtrain is in great shape less the sper. If your still into it, PM me with an offer I guess? It does handle nice with the front mounted motor setup. Gimme a day and I will try and find a camera and I will take pics of what I have so you can see it for yourself.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Addicted2Speed

Well said FR33Z3!!
I prefer nitro because of the realistic sounds and stuff.. personal opinion.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Auslide
Banned

I Prefer Electric as Nitro sounds like a Mosquito on Heat.. Even worse with a tuned Pipe it sounds like 100 Mosquito's in Heat ..

This Arguement will never be solved on points of view.. Peoples opinions differ and since I have been on Both Sides of this Rip.. I know where I will be Staying..

ELECTRIC for the Drift

There will never be a united Front as those who drift and drift in comps allways go Electric why because they are simply better..
A Nitro spends more time off track then on track..
You have Gearbox's to Break, Plugs to replace and all the mess and Smell.
and You dont want to stop drifting because your Plug Burned out or the damn thing just wont start regardless of how much you try..

If Nitro was better at it then there would be a HUGE shift in this area to Nitro which simpley has not occured..

Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Spartan-Drifter
Banned

I happen to own a t-maxx pro .15 and its never seen the light of day(without being stuck in reverse)
Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
ewoo

lol, i heard an eletric the other day, almost died in laughter i thought it was a fly going past my ear haha And my nitro sounds nothing like a mosquito, it sounds tough
Old 02-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Fr33ze

What the attitude for?

We dont need to start another flaming war again...

Your experience with nitro wasnt as good as mine obiviously. I dont have problems with gear boxes or glow plugs or anything else other then tires and the odd wheel bearing. I always check my screws and clips and nuts at the end of every day I run it. Most ppl dont do that, thus there car falls appart, its not the cars fault. Glow plugs wont die unless your running to lean, have an air leak or a bad manufactured plug. I run my 2spd locked in 2nd so it dont shift ever. Once again, I do agree its more work, having to break in the engine, tuning, exaust smoke leaves residue all over the side of the car if your running a side pipe. But if you can handle all that, then I know you will like it more then electric, thats all.

Anyway...

Just state your positive opinions bout your particular car, and not bash the other style. I never said anything bad bout the electric, IT DOES THE JOB, and its great for bigginers and experienced a like. I would never tell an inexperienced driver new to drifting to go getta nitro cuz they probibly wont get past the break in and tuning phaze a nitro requires. I only wanted to share my experience with nitro drifting since MOST drifters go the cheap and easy way into the world of drift and buy electrics and never get to experience the nitro side of drift... I payed $100 for my nitro drifter, RTR, used, I slapped a new engine in it for $75 and wrapped the tires in electrical tape and went at her, couldnt go wrong I figured. And I love every minute, never get board, never have to change or charge or disscharge batteries...oops, sry, NO BASHING! lol.

This is just like nascar, most ppl think its all about going fast and turning right and dont think its a "fun" form of racing... Well, if you've never experienced what driving a race car is like, then you would never understand that its more then just go fast and turn right, lol.

Well to each his own! Dont go beond your ability, thats the biggest factor when desiding wich is better.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Hyper 10s Sideways

well wtigerikm both nitros and electrics drift and thats wat u want ey to drift?? so get which ever u want cos they both do the same job jus 1 dus it a lil faster
Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 PM
MoB KyotE

Just getting started go electric...They both do about the same speeds and all that...but most of the drifters on here use electric...but then again a good portion have used nitro. But personal oppinion is the electric.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Neon_guy

Fr33ze. First off, I wasn't trying to "flame" you. And I didn't say anythign to down Nitro. Everything I said was true. It isn't MORE fun. Fun is relative. It IS more work. It IS faster. You CAN'T run Nitro as many places as electric. Maybe you wanna stand out in Ontrario cold waiting on a crowd. That's not fun to me. I'd rather be inside where you can't run a gas powered car. And lastly, you can't run them for as long. You get 15-20 minutes on a at one time then you gotta refill. I'll even give you 30 minutes as a buffer (the ones we ran in Kuwait, 15 minutes TOPS, but Canada may be different). You're not going to go over that. An elec car can run from 15 minutes up to (and over) an hour on one battery before a change. Numbers don't lie. That's "not as long".

I don't have a nitro because I don't want a nitro. The first hobby grade rc I ever drove was a nitro over seas. all teh sand made elec improbable. I drove Erics RS4 and a buggy of some kind on the dirt track.

Just because I don't like to tune doesn't mean I don't. I race. If you've raced, you know stuff breaks. You also know that you can have a great driver, but without a great car, it won't mean squat. Sooooooooo, that's where my tune-ism comes in.

Lastly, There are tires that will give you a realistic feel for drifting elec. Yokomos are one. They have nice grip and slip as well. Not an ice feel at all.

Again, I wasn't trying to flame you. You like what you like. I'm not going to change your mind, or you mine. But, don't come down on people who are more interested in the fun aspect. Not everybody is into it the same way.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Fr33ze

Hey, no problems here Neon. It like we are the exact opposite to one another, lol. I never thought you where flaming ME, you where putting the nirto car down for reasons that diddnt make sence to me.

I gave electric a try, I own a TA03F, I bought 2 of the 4200mah and one 3600mah batts, I got the 20t, 19t, 22t, and even a 12t motor to try out, I bought the LRP speed control, many, many pinions, the 15 minute 5 amp charger, and well, I dont get more then 15-25 minutes run time on this setup. So after I dropped nearly $300 CAD into this car and getting such low performance I put it on a shelf. So thats why I went to nitro, cuz my experience with electric was below what I expected I guess, plus Im more familliar with nitros, and its was what I like, and it was cheap! lol. Thats all I wanted to say...

4 days ago I buchered my spider to make a 2wd buggy... no more difter till spring.

And I dont look at it like each battery vs each tank, but more how much time over all during the day I get to play. I bring fuel, charge my controller and reciever batts the night before, and run all day long, 25 minutes at a time, with 1 minute pit stops for a gas ups. My gas wont degrade from use, I dotn have to disscharge it 7 times to get the capasity back up to 25 minutes run time...

Like I said, I diddnt find the battery powered drifting as fun as nitro. Maby when I can afford some LiPo's and a charger for them I will try to like it again.

Oh, what battery do you use to get an hour of run time??? Cuz if I had one of them Id surely giver another try.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
sajuuknightfall

nitro rules .
electric to me is a toy.
nitro is a hobby.
dont get me wrong i think heles airplanes are ok for electric. its just with cars that i dont like electric. its just that nitro cars you have something to do besides butting a battery in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.