Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Fugadude's Skyline TT-01 vs. Nascada Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Fugadude's Skyline TT-01 vs. Nascada Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
SFC K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fugadude's Skyline TT-01 vs. Nascada Build Thread

Those are awesome looking wheels. They should look really hot on that GTR!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
joeyblaze

how are u going to line up the body post after you painted it? or is that body made for the car your putting it on so it has the guid bumps?

also how do the ligh buckets attach?

how did you get the Silver out line on the white?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 PM
FireStriker

Pretty cool,

Pretty cool
Old 02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
fugadude

The light buckets utilize double sided tape and this silver (aluminum?) tape which you seal off the edges with my guess is to minimize light leakage. The thing is that these light buckets were made for the Yokomo r34 skyline gtr and I have them on the HPI r34 skyline gtr and there are differences not huge differences but there are some gaps which require extra tape. All in all it was very simple. Being a schmuck though I forgot to mask off the rear lights and so now I can't install the rear light buckets unless I want to cut holes in the body hehe.

The silver line I used Alclad II Chrome. The chrome didn't come out as great as I would have liked, but this is the first time I've used a liquid mask I masked most of the inside and then I printed graphics so I could use them as guides as I cut the liquid mask. I sprayed my candy blue and then backed it with silver. Then I cut the outlines from the mask basically just taking the exacto knife and eyeing it to make the thin stripe as smooth as I could.(not sure if there's a better way to do this. Then I sprayed my alclad. Let that dry then finally did the sprint white to fill in the graphic. Next time I think I can do a much better job. The most important aspect of that is using the prep and taking your time laying down the chrome. I was a bit rushed as I didn't think my shell was going to come out well, and I was tired so I laid it down a bit too fast.

Also I botched my wing so I need to get me one of those yokomo wing sets to replace it heh

So far I've gotten:

motor arrived
esc arrived
wheels arrived
yokomo muffler
abs tires arrived.
bob divley mask
paints

waiting on:

himoto nascada
tamiya tt-01
pvc tires
yokomo drift tires
batteries 3500
led kit

I'll just line up the body and punch the holes with my body reamer when I get the himoto. I think the front mounts line up with the HPI shells, and the rear mounts I'll just mark. I have a very bright light I can use to see through the body so it wont be hard to get them accurate. Usually I cut drill and do all the body things first before I paint, but I was just itching to get this body painted hehe.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:45 AM
mugenx

any progress on the GTR Fugadude?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:53 AM
fugadude

Still waiting for my cars. got most everything else
Old 03-04-2007, 02:22 AM
fugadude

Another thing I decided I will be testing is the difference between an IB matched 4200 mAh race 6 cell pack and a Tenergy 3800 mAh 6 cell pack.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:34 AM
SFC K

Hey, what did you decide to do with the wing you botched up?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:51 AM
fugadude

I just threw it in the trash I'm going to replace it with a Yokomo wing. I have another issue I need to think about. here's what those crazy Slidemaster 8.5mm offset wheels look like on my RS4 18ss Camaro. Hmmm? Ghetto fabulous! hahah I think I may try a 280 mm 1/10 hpi Skyline shell?

Old 03-04-2007, 04:39 AM
SFC K

Nice wheels, is that a Bolink Camaro body? Also the 280mm body only fits the Super RS4. How are you going to make it fit a 1/10th scale car?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:20 AM
fugadude

Oh I thought they made a 280mm for a 1/10. The body is the HPI 68 Camaro. I made a loose fit on the rs4 with the skyline and it looks like it should be OK. The camaro is just a lot more narrow up front. The wheels look pretty sexy on the back though. wish they made some mesh wheels like that for it with the deep dish. RC wheels for onroad cars have a long ways to go. The manufacturers putz around making all kinds of ugly crap heh.

Ok I've checked all my shipping etc. I should have everything by the 14th of March. Here's a list of everything I've bought for this project, and I need another set of wheels for the TT-01.

Qty

Cars:
1 - Himoto Nascada 89.00
1 - Tamiya Nismo R34 GT-R Z-Tune TT01 Kit 124.00
Sub: $213.00

Body/Paint:
1 - HPI Nissan Skyline GTR R34 200mm Body 24.56
1 - Bob Dively Liquid Masking Film 13.99
1 - Alclad II Chrome 9.38
1 - Spaz-Stix Mirror Chrome Spray 13.86
1 - Spaz-Stix Lexan Surface Prep 9.36
1 - Pactra Indy Silver 4.19
1 - Pactra Sprint White 4.19
1 - Pactra Candy Blue 4.19
Sub: $83.72

Parts:
1 - Trinity Co27 Monster Stock Pro Motor $31.99
1 - 18T Duratrax Intellispeed Auto-Sport Forward/Reverse ESC $37.99
1 - SMC IB4200 Matched 6-Cell 4200 mAh Race NiMH Battery Pack $38.99
4 - Tenergy 3800 mAh NiMH Battery Pack $76.49
2 - Integy Type III Motor Heatsinks $7.59 x 2 = 15.18
4 - Speedway Pal Slidemaster 8.5mm Offset $21.99
2 - Yokomo Drift Muffler Sets $7.19 x 2 = $14.38
1 - Yokomo Drift Wing $7.12
1 - Yokomo Drift Aero Mirror $3.39
1 - Yokomo Light Buckets R34 Skyline $13.49
4 - Yokomo Drift Zero-One "R" $21.98
4 - Drift PVC Tires $8.05
12 - Drift ABS Tires $12.50
2 - Tower Hobbies Sys3000 2ch AM Rx 75mhz recievers $24.99 x 2 = $49.98
2 - Tower Hobbies TS-53 Servo $9.99 x 2 = $19.89
Sub: $373.41

Total: $670.13
Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 AM
SFC K

Yes, I was looking at the HPI Web site and they have a lot of cool looking shells! I wasn’t sure if that was the HPI Camaro, Bolink also has a touring shell of the Camaro that is pretty sweet. I was thinking of getting a new body and I like the Lotus the best. I already have the Elise. I think I might try the Sport Elise. What do you think? I tried to save the picture but it would not work. Try the link below....

May I ask what got you started on this project? You are spending a lot of time and money on these babies; I wish I could do that. It will be cool to see the results when you are finished…
[link]http://www.hpi-europe.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=7433[/link]
Old 03-04-2007, 07:15 AM
SFC K

[link]http://www.cws-mart.com/index.php?main_page=index[/link]

Hey, I was searching for wheels on the Web and found this site. Not sure where you bought your wheels. Thought you might want to know….It’s called ChokuWingStar RC Shop…
Old 03-04-2007, 07:17 AM
fugadude

I like the standard Elise better than the sport one. I think the intake? on the side of the vehicle looks more natural with the standard elise than the sport one. It reflects the curves of the vehicle where as the sport elise becomes more gaunt/angular for race functionality and loses that natural flow of curves especially on the front end where it's squared out, but the side too I don't think looks as nice maybe how they're painted would matter a bit, but I think the essence of the elise is lost a bit in the sport.

This is my first move into electric cars so I've had to learn a bit. I knew absolutly nothing a week or so ago about them. This project was going to start out simple. I was going to take the Nascada and see if I could drift it right out of the box with some simple PVC/ABS tires. I will still do that, but then I figured well to really compare anything I should get the TT-01 too they're pretty reasonably priced and have set the standard for the budget drift car.

So then I figured it would be nice to see how certain standard equipment in the drift genera of RC would play in the two as basic upgrades. So I got the Trinity motor, and the Duratrax esc trying to ensure these are reasonably priced parts people might buy. Then I learned that battery packs matter so I am testing a low end pack and a high end pack just to see exactly what you get I have three types of wheels, PVC, ABS, and Yokomo Drift. The bodies and wheels, lights, and all that are just because I like my gear to look good hehe. That's a whole other part of the hobby to enjoy.

This experience will teach me a lot. I have two cars with many different configurations available. I can with a good methodology really get an idea of what is worth what and what does what. I think by doing a well documented and extensive review of the parts and configurations some objective experience can be imparted on others that can help them spend their money on good gear for what they want. It's hard taking advice on these things because there are so many variables. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of clear cut and convincing help out there in this regard just peoples subjective experiences so there's just one more good reason to do it in a set manner. I mean really most reviews seem rather superficial it seems to me. I'm going to experiement on different surfaces, day/night, different setups this project is going to produce a lot of information, and it will take a bit of time to complete. I can probably do a different test every other day taking one day to change the car configuration. I'll produce high quality widescreen video and high resolution pictures I will host and share here.

If there's some solid info on drift configurations it makes it just that much easier to get people into drifting because they're more confident that if they spend X they will get Y. The amount of money you can spend putting together a car can vary pretty wildly. I mean here I have spent only 1/3rd of the total cost on the car and the rest on everything else. When it comes to the dollar performance of each of these kits there will be something to say. For example when you buy the Nascada you may get everything you need to run it, also the radio may totally suck, and you don't get your choice of body or an LED kit like you do with the Tamiya TT01. There's 50+ bucks right there. The Tamiya kit is only 40 dollars more, but you have to buy the rx and the bearings. etc. By the time you're done there you might as well get an HPI Sprint rtr, but then you have to toss the esc... .

Decisions decisions decisions Hopefully I can sort out some preferances to build a good package for a few types of people. It's also a very scalable project I can keep adding to my database for quite some time. If I develop a solid methodology for testing the various parts perhaps I can make it more accessable for others to do it, and as a result maybe there will be a better way for us to all sort out what we really want to spend our money on.

Other experiements to try. I was thinking of doing a body where I do a cool graphic on the front maybe some flame/squiggle work on the sides. then I spray a matte kind of clear over the rest of the body. Then I'll add some lights inside the car and make it glow haha. Then I'll drive that around at night hehe. I'll do a color that will look good with black so if it comes out stupid I'll just paint the rest black and have a new basher shell.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:31 AM
magnat

CWS... meh

Genki is much better for wheels and the aftermarket service is unreal

www.genkidoridori.com
Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 AM
SFC K

Thanks for the comments on the sport….

It seems you have implemented a good plan of attack into the Drift/Electric category. I my self do not have one but have always been interested in it. The cars just look awesome and can do amazing things sliding around gracefully. By the time I get home from Iraq (late this year)you should have a good base of what to get and what not to get. I will follow your thread as it progresses and ask questions along the way.

I do a lot of reading on just about every aspect of the RC world for mostly four wheel wonders. It’s all I have available to me base on my current location and job. I did bring along my Evader to stay involved in the hobby. I also get three different RC magazines to keep me going every month.

I’ve been using this site to get ideas on what to do with the current vehicles I have and have various items sitting at home waiting for my return from this hell hole. I’m getting very impatient, and it seems I have RC on the brain…

I will catch you on the flip…
K
Old 03-04-2007, 06:44 PM
fugadude

How long till you're back in the USA? What kind of stuff are you doing out there? Take care of yourself out there SFC K.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:01 AM
SFC K

Hey Fugadude, I sent you PM....
Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM
skyline fanatic

I have a full scale driveable skyline for 90,000 in black with recaro seats. Also 2 greddy turbos and a massive intercooler. It is a sleeper..... for a skyline.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 PM
fugadude

Cool how did you get it? How long have you had it and how fast is it?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 PM
smaxx3.3

ORIGINAL: skyline fanatic

I have a full scale driveable skyline for 90,000 in black with recaro seats. Also 2 greddy turbos and a massive intercooler. It is a sleeper..... for a skyline.
pics please! i've never really seen a skyline in the states before.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:00 PM
fugadude

OK well I got the NASCADA today and I put my skyline body on it, barf not happy at all hhaha. My wheels look like clown shoes on this car and the wheel wells are a little off. It's a good thing I got another Skyline shell. I'm going to use the one I did as a basher. I'll use it on both the TT01 and the Nascada since they have wildly different posts. I need to get some chrome slidemasters that don't stick out so much in the front maybe with a 3mm or 0mm offset. Oh well
Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM
fugadude

Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Neon_guy

Well, outside of the UBER offset wheels, the replica looks great. However, I didn't like the original Skyline to begin with, so I don't really like this one. but you did a good job on it. And you can just get 1 pair of slide masters with less offset for the fronts. Keep the deep rears or get a 200mm body. plenty of options. you do good work. u'll figure it out.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:11 AM
fugadude

lol This is a 200mm body thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.