Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

The Truth about the Tamiya TEU101-BK ESC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

The Truth about the Tamiya TEU101-BK ESC

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Spetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Truth about the Tamiya TEU101-BK ESC

So would this ESC be ok with a 19T or so in a FWD car?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 AM
mike_o

No, get something more powerful.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:49 AM
mike_o

I've just tried running a 11.1V 2800mAh lipo on my TEU-101 driving a 540 silver can in a 2wd buggy. In order not to fry the receiver, I cut the receiver supply wires and inserted a 5V regulator (7805, 1 amp). It works well, the 101 hardly getting warm, and the car goes like stink :-)

The ESC may suddenly die, however, so don't take this as a guarantee that your TEU-101 will run your application on 11.1 Volts

ORIGINAL: mb4onroids

im running a teu-101 in my vendetta mini. its great with a 1320 mah 7.4 lipo. the esc never gets hot the motors scream. im running 380 brushed motors and this esc. im wondering what would happen if i put my 11.1 volt 1350 mah lipo on it . will the extra voltage hurt this esc since im running a smaller motor it draws less amps right? would i get a real advantage in power or just fry motors faster?
i got this esc in a trade and have been quite suprized with it i can hammer on it hard and it barely makes any heat at all after i did the heatsink mod.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own 6 Tamiya vehicles, 5 of which are equipped with TEU-101BK ESCs. I've been running the oldest of these for about 2.5 years now. Easily hundreds of packs through that one.

Up until recently, I've been happy with silvercan and sport-tuned (black can) power, but the purchase of a Tamiya Levant brushless made me wonder how I could get some cheap speed from them without brushless. My LHS had some Traxxas Titan 12t 550 motors in their bargain bin, so I jumped on it and bought two. Not a particularly advanced motor of course, but I wanted to try it.

I put one of them in my M-04M Alfa Romeo, and the other in my Dark Impact. Hooked them both up to the TEU-101BK. The results:

As far as I can tell, I will run out of tire and/or road on the M-04M before it overheats. I've run 3 six cell packs in a row without a thermal. I'm guessing the open chassis promotes good airflow. It's hilariously fast, the only way I can describe it. Something that tiny shouldn't move that quick and for that cheap.

The Dark Impact is trickier, the shell and chassis seal pretty close together and there just isn't much airflow. I'm going to experiment with ducts, heat sinks, and perhaps even fans, but without modification I could get only about 5 minutes of full throttle bashing before thermal shutdown. Even so, once I let it cool down it ran just fine. I only tried the DI with 7 cells, as I'd drained all of my 6 cell packs in the M-04M

Not very scientific, as I don't even have a way to measure temperatures aside from burning myself and rating the pain, but I wanted to share my results of beating up the TEU-101BK
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
mike_o

An update on my TEU-101s running 11,1Volt: I have two of them running 3cell Lipos now with 7805 voltage regulators mounted. The second one was also put in a 2WD (ball-bearinged) Desert Gator but this one with a Sport Tuned motor.

It goes even more like stink, backflips over the jumps if youre not easy on the throttle and powerslides on dry tarmac with slicks.

No sign of the TEU-101 giving up, but the motor gets a bit hot though. 

I'm not sure how much more power brushless would give me, but this I get for a $20 Lipo pack and a $1 regulator :-)