Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

hey guys, stupid gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

hey guys, stupid gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:37 AM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys, stupid gyro question

I'm a total newbie to drifting, adn probably won't get real serious about it.. but over the weekend, I freed up a Futaba GY240 gyro from one of my heli's (crashing has a tendency to free up parts, the ones that aren't smashed anyhow ) anyhow, I put it in my micro RS4 with the intentions of using it to drift for a while, will this gyro work or is it too much?

thanks...
Old 07-23-2007, 10:35 AM
studysession

Default RE: hey guys, stupid gyro question

ORIGINAL: thestratcat

I'm a total newbie to drifting, adn probably won't get real serious about it.. but over the weekend, I freed up a Futaba GY240 gyro from one of my heli's (crashing has a tendency to free up parts, the ones that aren't smashed anyhow ) anyhow, I put it in my micro RS4 with the intentions of using it to drift for a while, will this gyro work or is it too much?

thanks...
I do not have an answer to your question but would love to see a pic of it mounted. I have a Micro RS4 as well. I have the new version of this chassis now with 2200mah 7.4v lipo installed. But here are some pics of mine with the older 540 coversion chassis. I have been curious if a gyro would help me control this thing. Especially since I now have my 540 size Hacker C40 5 turn brushless motor installed. The power is just insane and steering is a bit hard to control.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:00 AM
thestratcat

Studysession,

I'll try to get pics of it tonight, I just kinda crammed it in this morning between my morning mt dew, shower and leaving for work, so it's sloppy as of now. The car is my carbon fiber chassis, loaded with a mamba, micro drift tires and my JR reciever. I tried it in the parking lot at work earlier but broke a wire on the battery pack, I've fixed that now and am going to go give it another shot.. if I get it working, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm actually thinking that moving the gyro to my sprint 2 may be an option also...

man, I like your chassis, which one is that?

Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 AM
studysession

It is one of 1st 540 conversion that Dan made and manufactured from here:
http://www.aktionrc.com/main.html

I have the newer version now.

Before moving the gyro over, would still love to see pics if at all possible. As stated earlier, been thinking about this. My Micro RS4 is so hard to control at anything over 40MPh. Wrecked a number of times and replacing the front end numerous times. Blown diff's repeatedly. Anyway - hope to see some pics of the mounted Gyro.

Thanks for the compliments.
SS
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 AM
thestratcat

I'll definitely get you pics with the gyro installed, I'm going to clean things up a bit tonight after work and I'll snap some shots of it when done.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
studysession

Thanks -

On the forums I do not see the Micro RS4 as being very popular. I personally have really liked mine a lot.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Mattdg67

ORIGINAL: studysession

Thanks -

On the forums I do not see the Micro RS4 as being very popular. I personally have really liked mine a lot.
I also noticed that, but it's not just the Micro RS4, it's almost all the Micro On-Road population is going down. I still have mine, it was my first RC. I think it is a great RC. I am fixing it up no, I just bought all the aluminum parts, a few Team Oroin chassis, and a lot more goodies, it will cost over $600 when I'm done.

As for the Gyro, I don't think you should use one from a Heli, get the HPI D-Box (Drift Assist System) I just ordered one after I saw it in action at my LHS. It is well worth the money.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMVE1&P=7]D-Box[/link]
Old 07-23-2007, 03:25 PM
studysession

Thanks for the link. I added it to my Tower wish list. I like onroad and offroad. Just wish onroad were more popular in the mini/micro world.

I have a fair share of each -
Micro RS3
FT TC3
Tamiya TT-01
Colt 10
Grandmotor Sports GMS 14 Electric funny car
EMaxx
Hyper 7 PBS converted from nitro to brushless
Leo-X
Mini-T
Tamiya TLT-1
8 - 10 different XMOD's. Both cars and trucks.
Micro Baja
and many more....

Most local tracks are for offroad. Then the ones that I know of that have onroad are over an hour. So mainly bash.

Been thinking of a Gyro in my GMS 14 electric Funny Car & my Micro RS4. I use them both for speed runs and sometimes hard to control.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM
thestratcat

my micro RS4 ended up being the intended victim last night just for the simple fact that I looked at my shelf and it's the one that stood out, I thought about putting it in the motorcycle and the monster trucks but decided against it.. I did kick around the Sprint 2 for a while also, but this is a temporary thing that I just wanted to play with so the RS4 got chosen.. as far as I know, there isn't anyone that drifts out my way (nestled between corn and bean fields) so it doesn't really matter for me..
Old 07-23-2007, 07:03 PM
redeyes

oohhh, dare that that 4 letter word "dbox"...

I drift 1/10th day in and day out so don't flame me for sayin they are great in outta control over powered mini's.

again, if anyone is interested I can list a used dbox in the"Buy & Sell" section here on RCU
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
studysession

This is first time for me even hearing of the dbox. Figure like a gyro for what it claims.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 PM
studysession

Found it on HPI's website:
http://www.hpiracing.com/piw4.php?part=80588
Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Mattdg67

ORIGINAL: studysession

This is first time for me even hearing of the dbox. Figure like a gyro for what it claims.
It's like a Gyro, but it's made for land, not air. When I used it at my LHS, they had it in a Mamba powerd Micro RS4 [sm=what_smile.gif], It worked great for turns that you would have trouble on most of the time.

The best part is, if you start to fish tail out of control, it helps you gain control and get you back in your run.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Dragon Soaring

as a heli pilot i can say a gyro is a gyro be it "land or "air" its the same thing. the Futaba GY240 gyro mentioned above is great - a bit of over kill and car radios arn't really designed to take advantage of it. but is would work verrrrry well.

Futaba GY240 $120.00

d-box is $95.00

here are some less expensive ones

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=W622359

with out getting to involved in the workings of gyro functions a dbox isnt realy any different from this http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...59&pid=racc026

my 2 cents[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 AM
thestratcat

I did get the GY240 working in my sprint 2 last night, seems the micro's had some technical problems (they didn't work and my brother stole my batteries).. it was pretty cool... in fact, I may run during lunch and go pick up a cheapo gyro to keep as a permanent fixture for the cars..

oh yeah, didn't help much on the drifting thing, I suppose, I pretty much suck.. but that will change also..

Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 AM
studysession

ORIGINAL: thestratcat

I did get the GY240 working in my sprint 2 last night, seems the micro's had some technical problems (they didn't work and my brother stole my batteries).. it was pretty cool... in fact, I may run during lunch and go pick up a cheapo gyro to keep as a permanent fixture for the cars..

oh yeah, didn't help much on the drifting thing, I suppose, I pretty much suck.. but that will change also..

Very cool - What Gyro are you using?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:50 AM
thestratcat

I'm thinking I'll probably pick up one of the 60 dollar ones the hobby shop has eventually.. but then again, for now, I figure I can use the 240 till well into next spring, I'm not going to complete the next heli until then, so I'm in no hurry to buy a new gyro...