Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

TT 01 Converting to drift spec.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

TT 01 Converting to drift spec.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 AM
DriftProjectR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TT 01 Converting to drift spec.

cool! post some pics when its all done!
Old 02-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Tomcat75

A mate of mine just ordered a TT 01-R it doesn't come with receiver or servo... whats good to get, so he can get started?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM
DriftProjectR

ORIGINAL: Tomcat75

A mate of mine just ordered a TT 01-R it doesn't come with receiver or servo... whats good to get, so he can get started?
buy a radio, like a futaba or airtronics (just some cheap 2 channel to get you started; even used works) and buy a good cheap servo. i say a hitec 645 or something.

hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Tomcat75

Thanks mate, your help has been much appreciated. I am about to order the size 23 pinion you suggested but cant find a spur gear to go with it?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Tomcat75

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX3466&P=7

would this fit in a TT 01?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
DriftProjectR

Thanks mate, your help has been much appreciated. I am about to order the size 23 pinion you suggested but cant find a spur gear to go with it?
thats a good pinion gear.
thats for a team associate bud. hehe

you can use this:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=7523

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=8553

i personally like the 58T spur gear.

just me though.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Tomcat75

Project R you are the man.... thanks for all your help.

Last night - seein i'm getting the new springs, I cut the stock ones and was getting a good drift action from it. I made the rear slightly lower and it seemed to keep the car closer to "on the spot donuts" without drifting off to the left or right. It's bloody low...about 4mm off the deck!

After about 5 mins the motor crapped itself somehow. I cant get inside it to suss it out as it's the stock 540. My TZ has arrived so I swapped the cog on the end of the motor (is that the pinion there?) and dropped it in, but the silver cog just spun without contacting the big white cog on the end of the main shaft! How does that happen? It seemed to be contacting when it was on the 540? Maybe I have stripped it cause the teeth on the white cog (is that the spur?!) look a little blunt but not too bad?

Im confused! Again!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 AM
cheeseclip

Why is a alloy driveshaft nessecary?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:23 AM
DriftProjectR

Project R you are the man.... thanks for all your help.

Last night - seein i'm getting the new springs, I cut the stock ones and was getting a good drift action from it. I made the rear slightly lower and it seemed to keep the car closer to "on the spot donuts" without drifting off to the left or right. It's bloody low...about 4mm off the deck!

After about 5 mins the motor crapped itself somehow. I cant get inside it to suss it out as it's the stock 540. My TZ has arrived so I swapped the cog on the end of the motor (is that the pinion there?) and dropped it in, but the silver cog just spun without contacting the big white cog on the end of the main shaft! How does that happen? It seemed to be contacting when it was on the 540? Maybe I have stripped it cause the teeth on the white cog (is that the spur?!) look a little blunt but not too bad?

Im confused! Again!
Cutting your springs is ok for now. i personally would just buy the spring set and test which springs work best for you. Personally i like really soft in the front (more steering control and angle) and hard in the rear (it make it eaiser to get it to break lose).

heres the springs: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGH23&P=Z

i dont know why the "cog" (motor) died on you; it happens. the problem is now is the gear mesh. you probally set the motor mount wrong (the thing thing you attached to the "cog"). you wear and tear on the "white cog" (spur gear) is normal.

hope that helps!

Why is a alloy driveshaft nessecary?
the plastice one flex to much at high RPMs. its also usually hollow so it tends to have more inhertia.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 AM
Tomcat75

I pulled it apart, did it again and now she's sweet. I havn't had a chance to test the car since I swapped motors but the TZ sure sounds like it's going to have a heap more torque. I think i'll wait for the rest of the ordered bits to arrive before I run it. Hopefully the bearings, springs and assorted alloy hop ups - along with the new motor, will keep those wheels spinnin!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Tomcat75

ORIGINAL: DriftProjectR

buy a radio, like a futaba or airtronics (just some cheap 2 channel to get you started; even used works) and buy a good cheap servo. i say a hitec 645 or something.

hope that helps.

hey man would this work, looks like it has a servo too....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Attack-2ER-Fu...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-14-2008, 04:50 PM
x2o

hope that helps.

That radio will work, but is he set on driving with a stick radio? The majority of R/C Land drivers use pistol grips, I prefer pistol grips as do most for cars, but if you want a stick then go for a stick.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX2**&P=7

That is a great pistol radio for just entering the hobby, if you want pistol I'd go for that one.

Another thing, I think the futaba 2ER only comes with air frequencies, it will still work but you'll just be different. :P And odds are you won't be able to race with an air frequency crystal, at least that's how it is around here where I live.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
jsainato

Can someone suggest a decent set of oil-filled shocks? I've got the bearings and propeller shaft on the way already.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
TIGER76

The tamiya CVA oil shocks are pretty good if your switching from friction ones m8
Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
x2o

Yeah, I use the CVA shocks from tamiya on both my lunchbox and my TT01R, amazing set of shocks for the price.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Tomcat75

Thanks mate, yeah he wanted the old school type! -Will it have a fair range on it or would the one you suggested be better? - maybe I can talk him round...!

Much appreciated ....

ORIGINAL: x2o

hope that helps.

That radio will work, but is he set on driving with a stick radio? The majority of R/C Land drivers use pistol grips, I prefer pistol grips as do most for cars, but if you want a stick then go for a stick.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX2**&P=7

That is a great pistol radio for just entering the hobby, if you want pistol I'd go for that one.

Another thing, I think the futaba 2ER only comes with air frequencies, it will still work but you'll just be different. :P And odds are you won't be able to race with an air frequency crystal, at least that's how it is around here where I live.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 AM
x2o

They will both get about the same range since they run on the same AM bands, if he wants to go stick then it's cool. There are some people that just prefer stick, I guess some people have more dexterity in there thumbs then in their other fingers so a stick radio could be helpful. But that radio would be a great radio to get started with if he wants to give the stick a try Now i've never personally used the 2ER stick radio from futaba, but I own 4 of their pistol radios and they've all been fantastic. If he's looking for a cheap in to start with on the radio system, that's a great place to start. Stick radios can get really expensive compared to pistols because they can offer a lot more features and channels, which won't be needed with a car so theres no need to go investing in a 12-channel stick radio

And to whoever asked why the alum. prop shaft is needed :
The stock plastic one is hollow and doesn't do to well at higher RPMs, which you will be hitting during drift sessions
Old 03-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Tomcat75

http://www.youtube.com/user/hoolio1975

Here is some video of my TT 01. There is a clip before I put hop ups on the car, then a clip after I fitted most of the hop ups, making it more drifty! Thanks for your help, now I just need to learn how to drive it!