Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Noob Trying to understand wheel offset

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Noob Trying to understand wheel offset

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:42 PM
subadubaru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Trying to understand wheel offset and the overall car in general

im familiar to wheel offsets on a regular car but are the rc cars the same? if i want the wheel to stack out farther from the frame i would want a lower +mm offset?
i have a 190 body and wondering what offset/width/etc will fit on my rc car and how will the different offsets and sizes affect the wheel in proportions to the body?

also i have been wondering about diffs and whatnot... i know that a 1 way front diff is better for drifting however does not allow for the front wheels to break which in turn for a grip car is semi bad unless you know how to control your braking coming into a corner which will in time be faster since you can get on the throttle earlier in the turn and carry your speed throughout.... so that is a must for me... but what about these solid axles? is that referring to the rear axle? would that be beneficial?

the car is a exceed madspeed drift king.

thank you

Last edited by subadubaru; 09-05-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:47 PM
ToraKitsu

Simple.

You have a 190mm body. Your offsets are "0" and 1mm offset. IF you use negative camber, you can usually increase that offset by 1 or 2mm, and still be just inside, to right under the wheelwell edge.

If you have a 200mm body, the rear end of the body can be wider than the front on some models, so different offsets will be required for front and rear, and the math is easy - 190mm chassis, 200mm body - add 10mm to the 190, then split the difference, which is 5mm offset (more or less, depending on the body). Some bodies aforementioned can use either 3mm offsets front, and 7mm or 9mm offsets rear. And again, if you use negative camber, those numbers will increase slightly.

I, myself use 9mm and 10mm wheels on many of my drifters, because I use 3 degrees of negative camber, front and rear, with 200mm bodies.

If you shop around, you can get wheels with the exact offset you need, but it's pretty much understood that American manufactured wheels will be odd-numbered offset ( "0", 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9mm), and Japanese or Chinese wheels will be even numbered (2, 4, 6, 8 and 10mm).
Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 PM
subadubaru

ok sweet... so on a 190mm body with a bit of negative camber i can probably run a 3mm wheel... and the higher the number the farther they will sit out from the chassis
alright sounds simple enough to me!!!
thanks ToraKitsu!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM
subadubaru

updated op with new info and questions