Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

drifting setup question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Gex_61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drifting setup question

Just found this video. How is this guy getting his car to turn so sharply with so little power at such a low speed. The car looks like it might be a handful if he went any faster. Is it 2WD? Is he using something other than ABS for tires? Possibly the smooth surface he is on?

I'm probably just imagining things. My steering is pretty sensative. I've been experimenting with setups, and I've gotten my Losi to drift pretty well with a 27t motor. Didn't think it would hurt to ask though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA2J_...er_profilepage
Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM
joeyblaze

Default RE: drifting setup question

well hard to say with out knowing his set up, he could have a one way shaft or one way front dif, this would act as e brake effect allowing the rear to come out, could be the surface it does look real smooth, could have torquey motor in . Hard to say
Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
SIRCC

I believe it's the surface, I had that effect when i raced my cars in the DOMINICAN REPUBLICAN, the floor surface indoor are similar to marble floors, they are very slippery even with regular grip tires.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Gex_61

I rarely get a chance to drive on polished looking cement like that, but that is definitely a nice surface to drive on when I get the chance. It almost seems like you can drift sideways longer at higher speeds, but you get more traction at lower speeds. My car can drift in a very small space, like in the video, but it seems that with mine I have to use more throttle and breaking to make it happen, especially when transferring from right to left in technical areas. The guy in the video is barely using 10-20% throttle, but it turns so well, almost spinning out.[sm=confused.gif]

I'm not familiar with one-way setups; I've never had one. Hopefully I understand this correctly. A one-way shaft's function would be to disconnect the front end only when breaking, right? How would a one-way front diff work? Is there still a functioning differential or would the diff only be made up of one-way bearings. When breaking, do both front wheels independently freewheel? Is that the difference between the two setups? If I have that right, then I would imagine it would make the car handle a lot like the one above. That would also explain why it seems to have some characteristics of a RWD. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 AM
SIRCC

one set up I use is lock diff's in rear and one way in front, it make get braking and drift function great for tight turns

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3FUI1nDA2c[/link]
Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 PM
9five9

To be honest, I think that's just driver skill, knowing when to quickly let off to transfer the vehicle weight to the front, then getting back on the throttle right away. With the weight transfered to the front, it allows the back tires to brake loose right away again.

I just tested the theory with my TT-01d which is pretty much a stock set up without the rear end locked. I took some cones and set them up as close to his as I could. I don't quite have the skills, but it seems like I could get it fairly easy
Old 09-20-2009, 01:08 AM
rideicon

higher gearing in the rear end
Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: Gex_61

How would a one-way front diff work? Is there still a functioning differential or would the diff only be made up of one-way bearings. When breaking, do both front wheels independently freewheel?If I have that right, then I would imagine it would make the car handle a lot like the one above. That would also explain why it seems to have some characteristics of a RWD. Let me know...
Does anyone have a link that explains how a one-way differential works? I've searched and can't find anything. I don't know how it works because I've never had one on any of my cars.

ORIGINAL: rideicon

higher gearing in the rear end
I think that might do it. Does anyone know where I can get a different size diff gear for a Losi xxx-s?

I also have tire questions-

1. My rear tires always wear faster. The responsive steering seems to go away as they wear, I'm guessing because of the higher gearing in the front. Does anyone rotate their tires as they wear to make their car handle a certain way?

2. I have seen people cut the pipe for their tires wider than the wheel. I haven't done this yet, and I'm wondering how it would affect the handleing. More grip or less grip? This might also be a solution for making the rear tires last as long as the fronts.

I want to drift more, but it's still just too hot outside. Winter is on its way though.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 AM
rum_n_coke

checkout this video... absolutely amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crffi...eature=related