RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Drifting (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drifting-304/)
-   -   Two Piece Drift Tires (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drifting-304/11389905-two-piece-drift-tires.html)

DOSCOMM 01-30-2013 03:31 AM

Two Piece Drift Tires

I did some searching (here and in google) about two-piece drift tires but couldn't find specifically what I was looking for. I got some two piece drift tires and after installing, I don't see how the tire will stay together. I put the inner flexible piece on from the back of the rim (with the inner piece's raised lip on the outside of the rim) then slid the tire on. Problem is, it slides on very easy, which means it'll slide off very easy and the inner piece will also probably spin inside the tire once it gets dirt from the road on it. So the question is, how do you keep the outer tire from slipping off the inner ring and how to keep the inner ring from just spinning inside the tire? besides the ribs that keep the inner ring itself on the rim, the rest of is is glossy smooth, as is the inside of the tire. Is there some accessory I'm missing here?

I had to take out my link because there are no ebay links allowed for some reason. Auction number removed by mods. Sorry.

kstmRYD 02-01-2013 06:15 PM

RE: Two Piece Drift Tires

Yeah these are problematic...in hot weather the heat from the asphalt causes the tire to get softer and expand and off it goes flying, plus the tire is hard plastic...wears down really fast and has inconsistent grip as it wears down. They look nice though...if you're into looks only!

Got a bunch of them I never use, well let me not say never...we do use them for props on our tracks.

DOSCOMM 02-02-2013 10:16 PM

Could you give me a suggestion for better drift tires? Iwas reading about other kinds (pretty much all hard plastic is all Isaw them talking about) and people say you have to boil them and all kinds of crazy things to get them on the rim. Igot some tires from a guy many years ago (lost track of him), they were hard foam glued to metal rims. Still got them on my electric car. But Ihaven't seen any like that, does anyone still make those (foam) kind?
Also, thanks for your reply!

Mastertaco 02-02-2013 11:56 PM

i use abs tubing(2inch for 1.9 rims) and make my own drift tires. seem to have more grip then people who have the hpi plastic drift tires.</p>

</p>

kstmRYD 02-03-2013 09:49 AM

go to [link]http://www.raikoudrifttires.com[/link] they have a pack of three different tire compounds...one is ABS, the other is a medium hard high density polyethylene and the other a softer polyethylene. I use the medium hard ones HDPE D70, S30, S45 tires. They last super long and drift the same all the way down to the rim. I use them on asphalt and on polished concrete on technical layouts where control is really key. The softer compound DXPE is better for larger layouts where speed comes in, they bite a little more. The combo pack is good because you can try all three.

Not one tire will work for all...a lot depends on chassis tune, driver style, track layout and ESC and motor. That's why I keep both the DXPE and HDPE series in my bag. I gotta tell you that these tires mount good on name brand rims which are accurately 52mm, but when you use some economic china knock off wheels that are made from rigid plastics then a little more finesse is needed to mount them as these wheels can be a bit bigger in diameter and the lip is rigid it does not flex popping into the wheel like the name brand ones do.

I've had to heat the tires to get them softer to get the wheel in them, use the O Rings they have on the site they work great. These tires are very popular here in NYC, I don't use anything else, for the money and tremendous wear life it's a no brainer.

phmaximus 02-05-2013 10:08 PM

For about $12 u can get a set of 4 pre mounted drift wheels.

Search for "drift wheel" in eBay

gokemidoro 02-08-2013 01:44 AM

DOSCOMM,

Go with kstmRYD's suggestion and you can't go wrong. Ihave used Raikou tires, and they work. They have come a long way since I bought them the last time, which was two, threeyears ago, and I'm still running their tires with negligible wear on them, so I can attest to their longevity, but more than that, the tire types all have different grip/slip characteristics, so a combo pack should work with nearly every surface you're likely to run on.

@kstmRYD:

Hey, man! How's it going? You guys alright after Sandy?Went to CA last year, it was something of a "bust," but had a good time, regardless. I'm doing "M" class drifters now, and can't use Raikous (because of the shorter wheelbase, HPI A-Drifts are what's hot), but my 1/10th scale drifters are still shod with the older sets of Raikous.
Tell Jin Hi! for me! :)

Foxy 02-08-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: DOSCOMM

I had to take out my link because there are no ebay links allowed for some reason. Auction number removed by mods. Sorry.
Ebay links are not allowed because selling of any kind is not allowed in the forum.

Sorry dude, rules are rules, if we allowed everyone to post ads in the forum, we might as well change the site name to RCbay cos that's what it would become, hope you understand the reasoning behind that (aside from the fact that our paying advertisers would be like 'hey, why do I have to pay and he doesn't!'). ;)

Don't forget you can post a RCU Marketplace ad free of charge.

adam911 04-25-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Mastertaco

i use abs tubing(2inch for 1.9 rims) and make my own drift tires. seem to have more grip then people who have the hpi plastic drift tires.</p>

</p>
my one friend also suggest me to make a tire by doing this instead of buying a drift RC car tire.
<br type="_moz" />