RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Drifting (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drifting-304/)
-   -   question about motors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drifting-304/6340293-question-about-motors.html)

Ranma 09-07-2007 06:40 PM

question about motors

what motor would yall recomend for a yokomo drift car i want somthing that will drift good but still be pretty fast. i was thinking of the d-1m 15t from yokomo. i would like to get somthing high end i'm not woried about the money. i'm kinda new to drifting so i really don't know wats out there

peetiewonder 09-07-2007 09:12 PM

RE: question about motors

for best performance go lipo.
The Novak 8.5 is pretty fast and has great power for drifting.
The mamba max 5700 is also really good for drifting but doesnt have as good throttlle response as the novak because of the sensorless design. What little bit the mamba lacks in initial punch, it makes up for in top end. If you go with a mamba u wont miss the initial punch of the novak because it has more than enough.

Me personally i run a novak 10.5 in my drifter and mamba 7700 in my racer both are quick, but the mamba is balls to the wall fast.

ben805 09-07-2007 10:07 PM

just get the trinity P2K2 Pro and run a good IB4200 stick pack and be done with it, more than enough power, and with over 35min play time. my P2K2 Pro dyno'ed at 102 and usually the IB4200 pack last me about 40min of drifting.

peetiewonder 09-08-2007 01:43 AM

the 2 big things about brushless - maintenence free and more initial torque

TIGER76 09-08-2007 07:11 AM

try and stick around 15-21 for best drifting even tho like said above a GOOD quality 27turn motor would do too,the disadvantage of going to alower turn motor is a decrease in run times so get the biggest size battery you can afford.
and yes if you can afford it brushless rules no maintaince ie no changing brushes,cutting comms etc and lots of lots of power/speed.
so it depends on your budget but think of it this way the price of a brushless will save money on replacing brushes and new brush motors in the future ;)
if u decide to go brushless make sure you have quality battery packs or even lipos packs as they suck juice fast but are worth the price all day long:D

Ranma 09-08-2007 08:47 AM

i can run lipo's with a brushed motor right. also how hard is it to change a brush. i mainly raced nitro and never really played with electric to much. i would like to eventually change to brushless but just to get started i'm prolly gonna go brushed[sm=sleeping.gif]

TIGER76 09-08-2007 09:11 AM

not sure about the lipos with brushed m8 i dont think so but i could be wrong as the motor needs to level the power thro and only brushless motors do that.
you should be fine on a 19turn motor i drift with one NPs in 3 months most important part is ground contact ie tyres grab some pvc as these will drift even with stock motors takes a while to get used to as there slippy as a wet fish lol :D

as for changing brushes the first time takes a while but the more u do it the quicker it takes and then u cut the comm too.
usually use a motor for a good few months then bin it and buy new,if its a dear motor its worth swopping brushes out,if u buy a cheap motor just bin it and buy another i used the vemon fireball 19t for a while nice motor for drifting even worked on the standard tamiya ESC too,didnt pay much new for it,got about 4 months outta it then bought a new one there so cheap its silly lol :D

Ranma 09-08-2007 03:06 PM

thanks for the advice tiger76 like i said i'm kinda new to electric so wats a comm and how do you cut it