Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newbie needs help deciding...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:55 AM
OQARROW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help deciding...

Hi there,
Yes, I'm a lame newbie who needs help deciding between 3 cars I'm looking at...

Things Id prefer...
*Brushless
*I dont think I'm wanting to get an RC bigger then 1/10
*I'm keen on speed and durability.
*Something that I can upgrade long term but right now wanting out of the box; stock, thats killer good.

This is what i have found so far...

Team Associated RC10B4.1 Brushless
http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a...C10B4.1/RTRBL/

Traxxas Bandit VXL
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...bandit2407.htm

HPI Cyber 10B
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/100702/
(I know this isnt brushless but still interested)

Please help me decide between the cons and pros... any help would be great and of course if there is something better then listed please sell me on it.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Newbie needs help deciding...

cyber 10b

Pros - 4wd,
Cons - little parts support, 

Bandit VXL

Pros - strong, huge parts and aftermarket support, fast, 
Cons - 2wd, (not really a con)

RC10B4.1 brushless 

Pros - , fast, strong, very good aftermarkets and parts suppport, good performing and handling car
Cons - 2wd, (not really a con)
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM
genitor

Check out the tamiya df-02 and df-03.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 AM
hpiracr28

I've just recently got the Bandit VXL from Tower Hobbies and I love it. It's extremely durable and built well, fast, nimble. It lacks in handling at high speed but what car doesn't. Parts are all over the place too and are cheap. With the stock gearing, a 3000mah nimh makes this thing haul. I haven't had a problem with it other than having paper thin tires due to donuts and burnouts, but the tires are soft. I would definitely recommend this car. Great buy Good luck.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Scottgir

I'd throw another option out there for you.

If you're just looking at bashing around
Rustler VXL or Team Associated T4.1 RTR brushless
Buggies are great but Stadium Trucks will be more overall fun. They run through the grass better because of the ground clearance etc.

If you're thinking of racing as well
Stay more with associated, out of the box it's a better racer
Consider the SC10 RTR brushless. Not sure of your area but most tracks, SCT are hands down the most popular.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
rc theman

I would get a Stampede VXL IMHO, i love the monster truck feel but with the right setup i pwn at my local track , but in your 3 i would get the bandit or rc10b4.1. i have both and they are a ton of fun
Old 09-27-2010, 03:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: genitor

LOL he named himself after his old DF-02, and he had a df-03 too :P

still DF-02 > all the rest(till you hit 1/8th)
Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
OQARROW

Thanks for the replies, are there any brands that I should avoid? I have read that HPI are bottom of the barrel and that Traxxas are overpriced...
Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: OQARROW

Thanks for the replies, are there any brands that I should avoid? I have read that HPI are bottom of the barrel and that Traxxas are overpriced...
HPI's are NOT bottom of the barrel. They are mostly good there are only 2 poorly made models, Brama, and E10. Other than those 2 I've not heard any real complaints. They also make some of the stronger RC's. I own 6 HPI's and only was disappointed in 1 (Brama 10b)
Traxxas some people think are over priced. Personally I think most of their gear is fair. People just like to piss and whine that they have been using the same transmission in their 2wd electric RC's for like 14 years. Parts are easy to get for their gear (probably the easiest RC's to get parts for) and they have a pile of after market support.

only ones I would avoid seeing you are new are Venom(dunno how their RC's are but after dealing with other stuff they make I don't hold any hopes), Exceed, Redcat, and Himoto(the last 3 brands sell the same relabled RC's made by the same Chinese company). Those are the bottom of the barrel RC's IMO (There fine if you know what you are doing but I would not recommend them as a 1st RC)
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
plasmaedge

In all honesty i reccomend you buy the HPI BLITZ

Ive got it and so far its been good to me, except for the fact that my esc was faulty but other than that its fine.

Tough as nails, fast enough for a beginner and has a decent aftermarket support,

You can buy them from Daves Discount Motors for $165 rtr (minus a battery and charger), its a mean deal
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM
plasmaedge

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Excuse me mr, but are you talking about me??

Seems you might be?? hahaha

Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: plasmaedge

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Excuse me mr, but are you talking about me??

Seems you might be?? hahaha

Yep made that post 5 mins after I woke up and missed the 1st post completely somehow and saw yours above his thought you were after another RC
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 PM
plasmaedge

LOL ok big decision, for my next rc should i buy a tamiya M05 or another DF-02??

My DF-02 was good to me and im thinking that if i put my ezrun into it (or even my 15t firebolt) then it would serve me well??

Id upgrade it a bit though, like alloy shocktowers, full bearings, alloy centre driveshaft and cups and a df-03 racing buggy wing.

OMG i just convinced myself to buy one again, here i come rc mart.  ^_^
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: plasmaedge

LOL ok big decision, for my next rc should i buy a tamiya M05 or another DF-02??

My DF-02 was good to me and im thinking that if i put my ezrun into it (or even my 15t firebolt) then it would serve me well??

Id upgrade it a bit though, like alloy shocktowers, full bearings, alloy centre driveshaft and cups and a df-03 racing buggy wing.

OMG i just convinced myself to buy one again, here i come rc mart. ^_^
LOL
man mine has changed a bit since I've posted pics of it(full BB's, DF-03 CVD's, Reinforced the alum shock tower, 35A BL setup), I also got a bootlegged DF-02 truck that I've been tinkering with

I'm torn on my next RC I kinda want a Tamiya frog or grasshopper, one of the 1/18th scale vendettas (probably rally), or the other option is make my BL savage into a 1/5th scale RC... All 3 will cost near the same new

Funny thing is I'm leaning towards the grasshopper or frog more, would buy one now but I just got my RC tank the other day and have $60 in upgrades coming for it

OQARROW sorry for the slight thread jack
out of the 3 it depends do you want RWD or 4wd?
If RWD I'd get the B4 not heard anything bad about it, and see alot of people recommend them.
If 4wd no idea on the cyber 10 but its part support is low which is why I never got one, and would not recommend it. I will say it looks like a solid design but so did the HPI Brama 10b which turned out to be a royal lemon. The $225 price(off tower) is also without electronics. So you will be adding another $150(minimal) onto it to get it running(not counting batteries or charger).
Personally I picked up a DF-02 when I was in your situation, which for around $50 can be made to handle brushless, or some other 4wd RC from tamiya.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
plasmaedge

gosh, 220 shiped for a 

- df-02
- alloy driveshaft and cups
- df-03 racing rear wing
- xtraspeed 2.4ghz tx + rx

very convincing

now im looking at hornets, grasshoppers and frogs  =P
Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 AM
AdamW

The Traxxas and HPI products are VERY durable and hold up to abuse very well. Traxxas products have an UNREAL part selection and supply EVERYWHERE you look.

The B4.1... well, its a Team Associated product which are good for racing but no good for bashing. Look at the arms on the B4.1 compared to Traxxas and HPI, they are like TOOTH-PICKS in comparison. BWWAHAHAHA!! They simply cant hold up to bashing very well.

BUT...

...of course the old geezers here who still live way back in the old "golden" days of the hobby will continue to say that the Team Associated is the best in everyway possible, blah, blah, blah...

Poor 'ol geezers cant accept change and that Team Associated isnt the best choice any more.

Poor things.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM
buttdud1122

quick question, have you ever owned a t4, b4, or sc10?

didnt think so.

stop posting bogus stuff like that saying they arent durable.

i personally watched my uncle jump off a jump with his stampedethati have done MANY times before with my sc10 and he split his chassis when he landed it.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM
buttdud1122

IMO, you should go with the t4.1! it will serve you well starting out by holding up, and once you start getting into the hobby, the t4.1 is quite tunable and race ready.

the bandit is fast, but from what i saw of it sitting on the shelf, not very tunable.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AdamW

The Traxxas and HPI products are VERY durable and hold up to abuse very well. Traxxas products have an UNREAL part selection and supply EVERYWHERE you look.

The B4.1... well, its a Team Associated product which are good for racing but no good for bashing. Look at the arms on the B4.1 compared to Traxxas and HPI, they are like TOOTH-PICKS in comparison. BWWAHAHAHA!! They simply cant hold up to bashing very well.

BUT...

...of course the old geezers here who still live way back in the old "golden" days of the hobby will continue to say that the Team Associated is the best in everyway possible, blah, blah, blah...

Poor 'ol geezers cant accept change and that Team Associated isnt the best choice any more.

Poor things.
sorry pal but traxxas fanboys like yourself wouldn't know a quality rc if it slapped them in their face.

traxxas is a sub par entry level company. which is great, they bring alot of new faces to the hobby. those faces usually buy a quality vehicle as their second purchase.

when's the last time traxxas actually made a new vehicle? not just a new body or arms on an old, outdated platform?

when's the last time they actually built a vehicle that could compete with the likes of hpi/associated/losi/kyosho/schumacher?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:44 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Traxxas main saving grace is aftermarket support IMO
For example the stampedes stock front arms look beefy but can be snapped in half pretty damn easy(as my nephew has shown me) the RPM replacements on the other hand are thinner, and don't break no matter what he does to his pede.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 AM
AdamW

ORIGINAL: buttdud1122

quick question, have you ever owned a t4, b4, or sc10?

didnt think so.

stop posting bogus stuff like that saying they arent durable.

i personally watched my uncle jump off a jump with his stampedethati have done MANY times before with my sc10 and he split his chassis when he landed it.
UMMM, yea I do, thats how I know this!!! They are durable for moderate racing, just NOT when it comes to bashing compared to HPI and TRX. Tooth-pick a-arms just cries out PLEASE DONTBASHME ORIWILLSNAP!!! Thats why I do NOT bash my b4.1. I take the b4.1 out when I am in a "sissy" kinda mood LOL to be honest. If I am having a "testy" day, the b4.1 stays in my garage. LOL

Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
AdamW

kaiser you poor ol geezer you!!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adam, your ignorance is of epic proportions.

i do enjoy a good train wreck, you don't dissappoint.

carry on.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
AdamW

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

adam, your ignorance is of epic proportions.

i do enjoy a good train wreck, you don't dissappoint.

carry on.
Its all good kaiser. Some people just have a hard time adjusting to the modern day reality and breaking away from the ol classic "golden" days!! In fact, my stubborn-as-a-mule grandpa is just like you so its all good!!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
buttdud1122

ok, so according to what you just said, and thats only if you actually own one, you have never actually bashed it. and if you were in a sissy mood, thats what vintage tamiya's are for or scaling.but in reality, im guess you are a traxxas fanboy noob that just thinks they know everything, everyone was at that stage somepoint or another, and that you dont actually own a t4. you recently joined and only thirty five traxxas-biased posts show me the case. so please, for everyones sake, learn, think, and have experience in the topic before you comment. i have been involved in this argument once before, and it didnt turn out well. also, dont rip on people like that. he is right! traxxas hasnt changed their platform at all! my uncles stampede is quite old, i dont know how old, but its not the same body and wheels as it has now, but pretty much everything else is the same. which means that the chassis splitting problem has been a problem for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.