Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

**~~Official HPI Wheely King Non-Crawler Thread~~**

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
XGAMER777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **~~Official HPI Wheely King Non-Crawler Thread~~**

WOW! Unbelievable! Looks like it runs great!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 PM
thirdcliff
My Feedback: (38)

Nice work SyCo!!  The custom work looks nice and clean.  I agree the school bus body would look great on it.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of my cleaner mods, and it was pretty damn fast to make. I was scared when I finished the plates in 10 mins that I might have made a mistake(specially seeing I am almost out of my aluminum sheet)

I forgot to mention I did have to shorten the 2 rear upper links(or whatever that triangle piece is called) by 3mm's to get the axles at the right angle to allow the connecting driveshaft to line up better.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM
AIRSAVAGE

Hey! I just got four wheel steering set up on my wheely king and it's a lot of fun to play with. I made a short video of it if anyone is interested....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFZay...1&feature=plcp
Old 07-13-2012, 10:50 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the Wheely King and the Crawler King share the same chassis?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

The CC's chassis I think is just redesigned to lower the COG a bit. outside that I think the parts are the same
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Krazy Chicken

who is still here? haven't been on for a while, and finally decided to dig my king out of the closet after a couple years., starting to build it the way i wanted back when i was in highschool on a limited income, so here we go

Aluminum chassis plates, Axle C's, shock mounts, and link/lower shock mounts revo center drive shafts. Robinson racing Steel spur 32p and sliper kit for the slash

Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

whoa your back hasn't been a few years more like 1 year 4 months
wondered what happened to ya, aropund the time you left we lost a lot of members(due to server issues for like 2 months people got fed up, and left)

my wheelie king on the other hand is still a fair bit stock except for uhh a few minor mods (can see on the page prior there are pics)

and damn is that a lot of aluminum
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Krazy Chicken

haha close enough just been busy with school and work. 6x6 wk is pretty cool, i have only seen it done with clod busters and txt's.

aluminum serves a purpose lol every part except the shock towers has been broken at least once
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I can believe it the way you punished your WK

I might need to do one of those axle braces(was it custom made or purchased) cause I'm using a WK axle in a project that probably will be very punishing to it(IF I ever find a few parts)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Krazy Chicken

haha yeah i was hard on it, especially cause it was pretty cheap and about all i could afford that was 4wd. hopefully when im done this time around it will be bullet proof. The axle braces were custom due to me snapping an axle at the pumpkin. if you want i can pull them off amd scan them as a pdf for you? they are a little rough but do work
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

nah don't have to do that I can always just fab my own
+ I dun have a printer [&:]
I also remember seeing some on a site that I was originally looking at a while back.
but that comes after I figure out how to add +20mm to each side as I've only found +15mm extenders [:@]
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Krazy Chicken

ok, im not too sure on the adapters, i never did widen mine. i did find that the original lst cvd's are 5 mm and can be cut down to fit inside the axle of the wheely king, then you can use the LST steering knuckles and that widens the truck. im not sure how much, but im having the CVD's cut down right now. so the axles should be bullet proof to.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

hmmm
I was looking at these http://www.rcplanet.com/ST_Racing_Wh...ptsta549bh.htm
but I'm a tad broke after dumping $50 or so into makeing my merv not suck.
I also have one other issue to work out though before getting those I gotta figure out how to adapt a tranny off a SCX to hook upto the same drive shaft for a WK as the SCX10's output is way smaller than the WK's diffs input. I was thinking of using a trassas slider but that only fits the SCX's output and is too small for the WK's axle
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Krazy Chicken

if i remember correctly the gears from a scx10 fit inside the wk axles

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

well not the issue I need the gears in the axle to stay the same as on the front of my monstrosity that's being worked on I'm using a MT2 front end (why I need to add almost 20mm to each side of the rear), and the gearing in the MT2, and WK are identicle as they both use the same diff gears
my issue is the piece the driveshaft hooks onto the diff. Gah I'll have to really do research I'm sure someone figured it out already with how much people mix and match crawler parts. Might just take the driveshaft off my SCX10 to compare to see if I can fit the WK end on that.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Krazy Chicken

i kinda like the sound of what your building. seems like if the scx10 gears fit in the wk axles they would fit in the mt2 diff?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

i kinda like the sound of what your building. seems like if the scx10 gears fit in the wk axles they would fit in the mt2 diff?
that might be the case, but the issue is the outdrives to drive the MT2 axles I doubt would work. Plus its extra cash, and I'm extremely broke(one reason this has taken me so long I started it in summer)

I'm basically trying to make a desert truck with front independent suspension, and a solid rear

once the driveshaft issue is solved then comes the axle widening then I'll really get to work as I think I have the rest of whats needed (except links [:@] that is also holding me back)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Cuw45

Is the Traxxass slider knuckle joint too small to drill the diameter you need? Is the input shaft to the diff round or square at the end? If it is round, i would imagine you could drill to the diameter you need. Unless the knuckle is too small to allow the bigger hole of course. I got the integy center shafts cause i was shredding the stock plastic ones, and had to drill the hole to make the fit the HD diffs. Runs great now.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Cuw45

I'm using the LST CVD's now and I have not snapped an axle since. They are a bit tight because the wheel axle is almost too short. But they work great. I think i saw a pic on another forum of some rear axles your buddy makes that attaches to the cvd axle. if that is what you are having made, you gotta let me know how they work.

BTW, your WK is looking pretty sweet with the aluminum.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Krazy Chicken

how much did it widen your truck? im just having him cut them down for me. i didn't want to mess up lol. thanks man, i plan to put all the auminum to use
ORIGINAL: Cuw45

I'm using the LST CVD's now and I have not snapped an axle since. They are a bit tight because the wheel axle is almost too short. But they work great. I think i saw a pic on another forum of some rear axles your buddy makes that attaches to the cvd axle. if that is what you are having made, you gotta let me know how they work.

BTW, your WK is looking pretty sweet with the aluminum.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Cuw45

It didnt seem to widen it compared to the stock wheelbase. It made it a bit more top heavy than when I had my extended axles on it. Maybe your buddy can make some LST wheel axles that are longer. it has been about a year since I put them on and they were the longest ones i could find at the time. Maybe they have made longer ones since then I dont know. They are head and shoulders above the stock axles. I swear I was keeping HPI in business with how much I was having to buy them. lol
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
jsflagstad

Quick question on the Wheely King. Is the front diff supposed to slip? When I mean slip, I mean I can hold the front wheels (both at the same time) the drive shaft turns but the wheels don't. If I let the wheels go they will start to turn but will stop if I grab them again they'll stop but the drive shaft will still be spinning. There is no gears grinding or such, it almost seems like it has sheared a pin in the front diff and friction alone is making them spin. So it's really only 2wd and I wasn't sure if this was the way it was setup for wheelies. It has very low use although I've had it for a while.

Thanks, JSF
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Sounds like the grub screw that holds the drive shaft that turns the diff fell out. This is the easiest thing to check. look at the part that connects to the center tranny to make sure the grub screw is in there, and do the same on the axle.

Other possibilities are that you need to shim the front diff, or replace either the crown, or the bevel gear that drives it.

The front should act exactly like the rear as they are built exactly the same.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 PM
jsflagstad

Thanks, I'll check it out.

JF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.