Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Any Shops that Build Kits?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM
photocycler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Shops that Build Kits?

I have a couple friends who want to get into the hobby but dont have the time to build the kits. They dont want a RTR, are there any shops that are experienced builders that can sell the car and build it for them?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Casper06

Default RE: Any Shops that Build Kits?

I think most here will agree that they should just build it themselves. It really doesn't take much time at all and you benefit greatly by knowing how to fix it when it breaks which will happen. Other than that try your local hobby shop they might do it for you at a nice fee though.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 PM
genitor

If the reason they don't want a RTR is because they want to install their own electronics then they can buy a roller from ebay.
Or there are ARR's (almost ready to run) which come as rollers and you just have to buy electronics.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

If they don't have time to build the car how will they have time to run the car?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 AM
positron

only takes a few hours to build a kit (unless it's a baja)

if you dont have time to build it, you wont have time to fix it or do maintenance 
Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Photo - Lets talk. I've been assembling kits for 20+ years for people. Shops don't do it much anymore but I can handle it for you.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

If they don't have time to build the car how will they have time to run the car?
or repair it if they somehow run it.
Hey maybe we'll find some RC's with broken arms on ebay afterward
Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

lol

MBX6 WITH ROSSI R21, ONLY RUN ONCE INTO A TREE, LOST INTEREST NO TIME TO FIX $100
Old 10-19-2010, 02:47 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: photocycler

I have a couple friends who want to get into the hobby but dont have the time to build the kits. They dont want a RTR, are there any shops that are experienced builders that can sell the car and build it for them?

So if they don't have time to build them when would they have time to run or for that matter fix them when they are broken. Sounds like they need to find something else to spend their money on.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
rc person 577

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

lol

MBX6 WITH ROSSI R21, ONLY RUN ONCE INTO A TREE, LOST INTEREST NO TIME TO FIX $100
One more for me please! lol
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my LHS wont even tune up a nitro motor for you. doesnt matter if you are willing to pay or not, they just dont want to mess with it[:'(]
Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Krazy Chicken

i will build it....
Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

my LHS wont even tune up a nitro motor for you. doesnt matter if you are willing to pay or not, they just dont want to mess with it[:'(]
Quite a few won't actually they will just tell you how. I can see why though if you go home with it tuned and the weather changes and it leans out the person will get pissed at the shop and blame them for wrecking the engine.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Quite a few won't actually they will just tell you how. I can see why though if you go home with it tuned and the weather changes and it leans out the person will get pissed at the shop and blame them for wrecking the engine.
yeh, thats what my LHS said, but thats a lame excuse to me. if they tune it, then i drive it before i leave the shop and it runs great then i cant come back and say they messed it up! and it would take a rather large weather change to lean a motor out enough to damage it.

but then, the owners of my LHS have about 2 years experience in the hobby. they got hooked, had lots of money and openned a shop. sometimes a cringe at the advice i hear them give their customers. dont get me wrong, they are good guys and im happy to finnally have a well stocked hobby shop near-by....its just they havent had to "experiment" and learn like some of us poor folks. so, some of their advice isnt in the best interest of the customer.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 AM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: photocycler

Realistically, there are very few if any actual "kits" out there nowadays, and those that are are mostly intended for racers anyway.
The average basher really has no use for a full out race rig kit.
As others have suggested, this hobby is rather user intensive, and anyone that doesn't have the time to build it also won't have the time fix it when they break it.

Maybe they should just buy photos and have them framedto put on their walls.
That way they can be like people who appreciate paintings, but don't have the time to paint.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM
meef rustler

At my LHS they tune, fix and even paintbodies. You always see someone drop off their broken rc.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: meef rustler

At my LHS they tune, fix and even paintbodies. You always see someone drop off their broken rc.
Maybe you live somewhere that has a large enough shop that they can afford the extra staffing to do all that work, but the problem is for the endeavor to be profitable they'd have to price their labor costs beyond that what most people would be willing to pay (or do shoddy work). But in most places, especially considering the tight profit margins on kits and rtr's today thatshops simply can't afford the extra staff neccessary to tune, fix, or especially to paint bodies.