Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Associated XP ESC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
GMCduramax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Associated XP ESC Problems

I just got a 3s pack and as soon as I hit the throttle it took off but not even a second later it wouldnt move. The motor will only spin at very low rpm's now. I plugged in a brand new motor and the same thing happens. I also tried it with the stock 7-call nimh battery and same thing. The ESC isnt getting hot and it is no longer beeping when I turn it on. The LEDs still come on like normal but getting very minimal power. It is a XP SC450-BL.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Krazy Chicken

Default RE: Associated XP ESC Problems

did you buy it new?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
GMCduramax

No it came in the slash I got. It ran fine with the nimh battery but now I can't figure it out.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Vic Z

Is it rated to take a 3s?
I have a T4.1 and so does my nephew. The ESC went out on both of them 3 weeks out of the box. I have heard of several others with ESC problems. I'm not bashing AE, but I think that the ESC is a weak spot.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 AM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: Big Vic

Is it rated to take a 3s?
I have a T4.1 and so does my nephew. The ESC went out on both of them 3 weeks out of the box. I have heard of several others with ESC problems. I'm not bashing AE, but I think that the ESC is a weak spot.

ORIGINAL: GMCduramax

No it came in the slash I got. It ran fine with the nimh battery but now I can't figure it out.

It appears to be rated for up to 3s, as are most BLESCs, but at the same time it also appears to be "discontinued" most places.
I would guess part of the reason is it's reliability, and the fact that it comes as a $120 ESC/motor combo tells me it's pretty cheap in the scheme of ESCs.

Bottom line is you bought it used, and most times you get what you pay for when buying used (somebody else's problems).
I'd invest in a better model.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
GMCduramax

I'm just going to get a new esc either mamba pro or vxl
Old 08-07-2016, 02:22 PM
67Stingrayj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this ESC from a friend after he gave up on it. It's not beeping at all when I power it on. I have tried to reprogram everything but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Everything online says to listen for beeps but all I get are flashing lights. It's a shot in the dark that I can get this thing working again but hey, why not try.

Anyone know why this thing won't beep?
Old 08-07-2016, 04:19 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you hear anything when you power up the ESC? If not, it doesn't sound good...no pun intended. The tones, beeps, "melodies" that are suppose to be heard are generated by the motor. So I'm just guessing the ESC is not "talking" to the motor, and thus not making the motor vibrate/beep.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-07-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:49 PM
67Stingrayj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Do you hear anything when you power up the ESC? If not, it doesn't sound good...no pun intended. The tones, beeps, "melodies" that are suppose to be heard are generated by the motor. So I'm just guessing the ESC is not "talking" to the motor, and thus not making the motor vibrate/beep.
The ESC blinks red and/or green lights, but there are no beeps or melodies. The motor I'm using is a sensored motor and yes, I realize this is a sensorless ESC. I'm just trying to determine if the ESC is salvageable or not. If I hold the motor up close to my ear, I can hear some slight whining when I give it throttle in either direction. Does this help troubleshoot?
Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I run a "sensored" motor sensorless (without cable) with a sensorless only ESC. No problems there. Only sometimes, at a complete stop, will I have a slight cogging issue.

Are you even able to calibrate the ESC to your transmitter? If not, I would be doing like your friend did...giving up.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-08-2016 at 03:03 AM.