Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Finally moving to a 2.4 radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally moving to a 2.4 radio

ORIGINAL: downunderdog

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: cummins driver
Frequency conflicts is the big one obviously, so you cant just exclude that.
Oh, but you can
That and the glitching is what i hated with my AM systems.
Tell that to the plane guys that have lost $10-15,000 jets flying on DSM that took a radio hit.
So, are you implying here that AM or FM is less likely to glitch or have a frequency conflict than 2.4G, and that planes haven't been lost due to those issues with AM or FM systems? The fact that guys who have put $10K+ into RC jets ARE using 2.4Gig kind of suggests that it's the better, more reliable, system, doesn't it? I mean, if FM is more reliable, why would they be using 2.4Gig in a plane that is that expensive?
Why are you even bothering bringing this up?

Every radio is susceptible to interference. PERIOD. No exception. It doesn't matter if it's the radio on the friggin space shuttle, dude. There are still guys that run 72PCM in $10k+ jets and won't run anything else.

Never said it was. Just said that 2.4DSM is not better.
How do you define better? Because you don't seem to disagree that:
- 2.4 has shorter antennas
- 2.4 is free from frequency conflicts

and I don't think that you disagree that 2.4 glitches less (or do you? you haven't really said)

What about FM is BETTER than 2.4 Gig? If it's nothing, then the above 2 or 3 (agreed upon) improvements that come with 2.4 Gig DO make it better. All you've done so far is concede that 2.4 gig is better in some respects than FM, but then say that it's not better overall. What tips the scales back towards FM? The fact that you already have the gear?
Reliability and ease of service outweigh the advantages that 2.4 has.

Why are you getting so angry?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 PM
downunderdog

ORIGINAL: downunderdog

Frequency conflicts is the big one obviously, so you cant just exclude that.
Oh, but you can
That and the glitching is what i hated with my AM systems.
Tell that to the plane guys that have lost $10-15,000 jets flying on DSM that took a radio hit.
So, are you implying here that AM or FM is less likely to glitch or have a frequency conflict than 2.4G, and that planes haven't been lost due to those issues with AM or FM systems? The fact that guys who have put $10K+ into RC jets ARE using 2.4Gig kind of suggests that it's the better, more reliable, system, doesn't it? I mean, if FM is more reliable, why would they be using 2.4Gig in a plane that is that expensive?
Why are you even bothering bringing this up?

Every radio is susceptible to interference. PERIOD. No exception. It doesn't matter if it's the radio on the friggin space shuttle, dude. There are still guys that run 72PCM in $10k+ jets and won't run anything else.
I brought it up because someone pointed out that 2.4 gig glitches less than AM, and you replied with "Tell that to the plane guys that have lost $10-15,000 jets flying on DSM that took a radio hit.", which you then subsequently backed away from). My point seems to be similar to yours... that every radio is susceptible to interference. PERIOD. But my point also includes the fact that 2.4 gig is LESS SUSCEPTIBLE to interference than AM or FM. Did your research show something different?

How do you define better? Because you don't seem to disagree that:
- 2.4 has shorter antennas
- 2.4 is free from frequency conflicts

and I don't think that you disagree that 2.4 glitches less (or do you? you haven't really said)

What about FM is BETTER than 2.4 Gig? If it's nothing, then the above 2 or 3 (agreed upon) improvements that come with 2.4 Gig DO make it better. All you've done so far is concede that 2.4 gig is better in some respects than FM, but then say that it's not better overall. What tips the scales back towards FM? The fact that you already have the gear?
Reliability and ease of service outweigh the advantages that 2.4 has.

Why are you getting so angry?
I'm not angry at all. I'm just curious what advantages you think AM and/or FM have over 2.4G. So far, you've agreed that about some of the advantages of 2.4G (shorter antenna, no frequency conflicts) and have not disagreed with the argument that it glitches less (other than bringing up the anecdotal "tell that to the guy who crashed his jet". This is the first time you've said anything about any disadvantages of 2.4 Gig compared to FM.

What has your research indicated with respect to reliability and ease of service of 2.4 G systems and how it is worse on 2.4G than FM? I haven't seen any complaints about 2.4G reliability issues, and how is it less "easy to service"?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Oh, but you can
Since the whole point of a radio is to transmit without interference, then you kind of have to include the frequency conflicts into the pro's of the 2.4 system.

I dont have a $10,000 plane. do you?

That is entirely dependent on the strength of the transmitter, it has nothing to do with AM or FM or DSM or anything. With a powerful enough transmitter you can talk to people on the moon with AM. If you can prove, without a doubt, that (for example) a Futaba 3PMX has more radio range than a Futaba 3PM FM ThunderbirdJunkie will concede this sect of the argument...but he can drive his cars further than he can see them on his FM setup, so what does it matter?
Basically this means the flysky is strong enough to drive the vehicle out of sight with no glitching. And for 1/4 price of most other options

Has anybody actually owned a FlySky radio long enough to speak for their reliability, durability and longevity? No? Then let's leave them out of the equation.
It normally doesent take long for people to get bad products and give bad reviews if they arent built well. Havent heard anything bad about the FlySky yet. And like I said before, ill roll the dice on this thing lasting long enough to still be a much cheaper alternative than the "name brand" stuff.

Redcats have awesome reviews too
Where at?

ABSOLUTELY they do. Tangibly, you can feel it in the materials and trigger/wheel feel of a higher end radio. Even ThunderbirdJunkie's near-seven-year-old 3PM feels better than the FlySky radio he's held and used (BRIEFLY...what an ergonomic nightmare). Intangibly, you can see it in ThunderbirdJunkie's Futaba 2PCKA and JR XR2 that are both a decade+ old; both of those radios feel better than the FlySky, too. All of them have adjustable spring tension on the trigger and wheel, as well. How much channel mixing can you do on a FlySky?
This may matter to some. But in all my years of r/c I have never gotten caught up on how uncomfortable a transmitter was, and ill seriously doubt this one is any different. As for channel mixing. I dont expect ill need that.

Why did the technology come about then?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Redcats have awesome reviews too
Where at?
Here on RCU.
ABSOLUTELY they do. Tangibly, you can feel it in the materials and trigger/wheel feel of a higher end radio. Even ThunderbirdJunkie's near-seven-year-old 3PM feels better than the FlySky radio he's held and used (BRIEFLY...what an ergonomic nightmare). Intangibly, you can see it in ThunderbirdJunkie's Futaba 2PCKA and JR XR2 that are both a decade+ old; both of those radios feel better than the FlySky, too. All of them have adjustable spring tension on the trigger and wheel, as well. How much channel mixing can you do on a FlySky?
This may matter to some. But in all my years of r/c I have never gotten caught up on how uncomfortable a transmitter was, and ill seriously doubt this one is any different. As for channel mixing. I dont expect ill need that.
If you ever had your hand cramp up after driving for 2 hours, you'd understand
Why did the technology come about then?
[/quote]

Cheaper to manufacture and inventory because only one part number to keep track of.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ergonomics comfort are upto the individual. I've not had any discomfort from holding either of my flyskys personally.
Kinda like the car I drive some people drive it and find it fine, where I find it to be extremely uncomfortable (I only drive it cause I don't got the cash to sink into a new clunker, and it runs)
I've also had ergonomic keyboards, and mice that cost a good chunk of change. I replaced the keyboard with a old 1980's IBM keyboard, and the mouse after it gave me carpel tunnel with a cheap $5 mouse that has reduced the pain.

So in my book how someone feels about its ergonomics is a non-factor.

Also losing a $15k jet that is flying faster than hell vs a truck on the ground there is a huge difference. Almost like comparing a harrier jet to a chevy malibu performance wise. Lets face it an onroad RC will not be subject to anywhere near the speed the jet is or any other factor. Honestly there are so many factors in jets, truthfully they might just blame the radio. You never know if a wire comes loose, human error, or anything so IMO that is not a good example. Its kinda like people who lose in a video game blame the controller and then start beating the crap out of them.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM
RobbieP
Banned

That is entirely dependent on the strength of the transmitter, it has nothing to do with AM or FM or DSM or anything. With a powerful enough transmitter you can talk to people on the moon with AM. If you can prove, without a doubt, that (for example) a Futaba 3PMX has more radio range than a Futaba 3PM FM ThunderbirdJunkie will concede this sect of the argument...but he can drive his cars further than he can see them on his FM setup, so what does it matter?
You're in way over your head here Junkie, trying to rationally discuss something with a crowd that is clueless about radios and transmission strength.
The only REALreason they're so hip on these flysky POS radios is that they're CHEAP, just like the CHEAP AMand FMradios they used to sell.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Justin B
My Feedback: (8)

I made the switch to 2.4 based solely on the fact of no more frequency conflicts. There was nothing that aggravated me more than to be in a race and have someone turn on their radio in the pits and watch my fairly expensive toy go where ever it wanted to, usually resulting in a spectacular crash and colorful words being strung together. No crystals, no antennas, built in fail safe and more cars on the track at the same time with no conflicts.

To each his own, IMHO.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Well, since today was my birthday, I got to open my remote, and had a chance to try it out

Installed it in my brushless MGT. Linked it up, which was basically instant, and then went out and tried it out. I took it waaay down the road with zero glitching. Last time i ran it with the AM traxxas system i was using, it was glitching while I was right on top of it. Worked perfect the whole time tonight and I really do like the feel of the remote, and where the trim knobs are, plus the fact that they are covered so you dont accidentally hit them.

Ill link the other receiver with my savage soon and ill be good to go.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, since today was my birthday, I got to open my remote, and had a chance to try it out

Installed it in my brushless MGT. Linked it up, which was basically instant, and then went out and tried it out. I took it waaay down the road with zero glitching. Last time i ran it with the AM traxxas system i was using, it was glitching while I was right on top of it. Worked perfect the whole time tonight and I really do like the feel of the remote, and where the trim knobs are, plus the fact that they are covered so you dont accidentally hit them.

Ill link the other receiver with my savage soon and ill be good to go.
yup that is one thing I love about the design trim knobs are out of the way
On my old TQ-2 I would occasionally hit the trim by accident, and be forced to center it again.