Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

whats so good about 2.4 ghz?!?!?!?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 PM
rc4862

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats so good about 2.4 ghz?!?!?!?

can someone tell me whats so good about it besides the fact that you dont have to worry about interference with other drivers? oh by the way will this stop my cogging in my vxl system in my rustler?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Default RE: whats so good about 2.4 ghz?!?!?!?

longer range and no glitching or interference
and no it won't stop cogging
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Depends on what sort of "cogging" you're getting. There's the stuttering you get when you first hit the gas, if your motor draws a lot of amps, your batteries might not be up to par, which means you want better batteries. Another reason might be all that RF interference caused by the high current running through the wiring when you accelerate off the line, another reason for stuttering, but gets better if you cruise around.

Of those 2, the RF interference thingy might be dealt with better with a 2.4 Ghz radio which is less susceptible. I had that very problem with my Futaba FM radio and brushless Mamba setup in the Rusty. Just wouldn't go far at all and glitch like mad. With the 2.4 Ghz I could go as far as I could dare.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Dont forget the most important thing about 2.4, you dont have the long antenna to poke out your buddy's eye... lol
Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

ORIGINAL: bckyrdbshr

Dont forget the most important thing about 2.4, you dont have the long antenna to poke out your buddy's eye... lol
true, but when your grudge racing your buddy and he's beating you you don't have anything to hit him with to distract him long enough for you to take the lead
Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

Substantiated evidence, please.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:12 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Cheaper.

I can buy a Rx from the USA, China, or down the street and the price difference is huge.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I like the fact that it is a cheap way to get a multi model radio.  I got a Fly Sky GT3-B and four extra receivers for about $80 and it works fine for what I need it to (computer radio with end point adj, expo, abs, ect)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 AM
inteva6184

Well I will tell you ive run fm and am for years on nitro with some glitching but not much my range was good as far as I needed to go with a truck. As soon as Iswitched to brushless am wasnt cutting it and fm wast far behind. Tons of glitching my range was terrible just was not a fun experience. I tried moving my receivers all over twisting wires braiding wires and nothing worked until I swapped to 2.4ghz. As far as proof Idont have any documented just what ive seen. I have never seen my 2.4ghz glitch never compared to my am andfm that did all the time.As far as range goes I dontknow they both went really far but I do trust my 2.4ghz more because when Iam far Inever see it glitch or anything. I think another factor in this am fmdebateis where you live. I live in a heavily populated areawith a bunch of businesses around so lots going on in the air.

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

Substantiated evidence, please.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

What radio were you running, inteva? RTR stuff? Everywhere from urban areas with tons of electrical activity (even before 2.4 was around) to the middle of nowhere, ThunderbirdJunkie has never once had an issue with an FM or even an AM radio for range or reception unless it was some RTR garbage.

Our outdoor track is right next to a cell tower.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM
inteva6184

I never used anything fancy to tell you the truth a bunch of rtr stuff and a futaba 2pl and some other futaba tx.  Ive used two 2.4ghz setups one was a traxxas which is rtr and have never had an issue with it and I run spektrum dx 3.0 which ive also never had a problem with besides their owners manual sucks.

But to keep this rtr vs rtr the traxxas 2.4ghz does not glitch and has excellent range and the traxxas am does glitch and his excellent range.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Slo-V Flyer

TBJ, when it comes to 2.4 Ghz discussion, you sound like the lipo/brushless motor hater crowd who want to hold on to their dear decade year old Nicads/Nimh and brushed 8t motors for racing and speed runs. Well, except you're not claiming 2.4 Ghz will catch fire and burn the house/car/whatever down.

A cell tower is not propogating at the 75 or 27Mhz frequencies either last I checked. If anything it's more likely spamming 850MHz to 2100 MHz depending on the carrier. Theoretically the 2.4 GHz radio would be more likely to glitch in that scenario due to 1/2 frequency harmonic interference (that's from what I understand, however 1.2 GHz is not used for cellphones so that may be why we're immune so to speak).

I have the exact same experience as Intenva and did the same things to troubleshoot as he described. Even my Futaba 2PL FM radio glitched on the brushless Emaxx and Rustler. Compared to AM I got a bit more range out of the FM in the Rustler before glitching like crazy, while the Emaxx fared better and depended on where I was. On my Nitro Hawk the FM glitched due to vibrations or something, the AM worked better in fact.

I live in a suburban neighborhood with a large open park on one corner and school across the street.

With my Futaba 2.4 Ghz I should be more susceptible to local neighborhood Wi-Fi signals (there's about 6-7 wifi lans that show up on my computer) or would think that would be the case. However I have gone far enough to lose orientation of the truck and not had it glitch in between anywhere like my Futaba FM radio did.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Eman77

I've never had glitching issues with FM and Brushless. Or range issues. I did have glitching with AM and a BL setup on one buggy (components were quite crammed together), and FM solved that. I run in suburbia-land around businesses, houses, you name it. Ranging from NiMh and brushed motors to LiPo BL, no glitching problems on FM.

For me, I see no need to go to 2.4 GHz....yet. Don't want to spend the $$ on new equipment. However, not having that darned antenna sticking out of the buggy/truck (that subsequently gets mangled and bent as I roll over it time and again) would really be nice.

My dilemma now is that I have a new vehicle that needs an Rx (I ran out of spare Novak XXtras I had lying around). I only use 2 remotes, so the XXtra is a nice option - found several cheap-ish on ebay last year. But unless I wait for another used XXtra deal, I need to pay $ for an Rx.

Going 2.4 is tempting, but then I need a new Tx as well. I don't have the budget for this right now.

Solution: steal the Rx from another vehicle as a temporary workaround.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Slo-V Flyer

I have exactly 1 receiver for my FM and 1 for my DSM radio. I see no problem in swapping the rx out from car to car as needed. Why waste money just so you don't have to unplug replug a couple or 3 wires (though I admit it's convenient to have more rx). My Fut. FM was $90 with receiver, my Fut. 2.4 Ghz was $100~ with receiver 1.5 yr ago (no servo included for sure).

I'll also admit that in my Summit, using brushless I have not experienced the same glitching using its stock 27 MHz AM radio and I have gone as far as my 2.4 Ghz. I believe it is a mix of circumstances/equipment, since my Rustler and Emaxx didn't do so well.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Eman77

Yeah, I'm just lazy and want an Rx per vehicle I guess. Maybe I shouldn't whine about the $$ if I do that then, eh? I just like having 2 remotes (so I can run with a friend) that can control any of my vehicles, using the channel synthesizer/switch thingy on the Xxtra.

Maybe I'll discover a pot of gold on the way home today, so I can buy a new 2.4 GHz Tx/Rx.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eman77

However, not having that darned antenna sticking out of the buggy/truck (that subsequently gets mangled and bent as I roll over it time and again) would really be nice.
Main thing that drove me to do it
Nice not having to worry about replacing my antenna every time my savage or or other RC's flip.
On one RC the antenna tube holder cracked and cost me $12 to replace seeing the part was only sold with the chassis
Had RTR AM's prior to getting the 2.4 ghz, and I've spent less on radios since I got the multi-model memory radio with RX's
Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Orion_2kTC

ORIGINAL: rc4862

can someone tell me whats so good about it besides the fact that you dont have to worry about interference with other drivers?
You already answered your own question. No glitching, no conflictions, and when everyone during a heat has 2.4, there's no delay due to someone needing to change out the AM/FMcrystal. Get with the time and get a 2.4 system. Even a cheap spektrum setup can be no more than $150 on a bad day.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Eman77
My dilemma now is that I have a new vehicle that needs an Rx (I ran out of spare Novak XXtras I had lying around). I only use 2 remotes, so the XXtra is a nice option - found several cheap-ish on ebay last year. But unless I wait for another used XXtra deal, I need to pay $ for an Rx.
This is what ThunderbirdJunkie has been picking up[&:]
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPTU4&P=FR
Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

TBJ, when it comes to 2.4 Ghz discussion, you sound like the lipo/brushless motor hater crowd who want to hold on to their dear decade year old Nicads/Nimh and brushed 8t motors for racing and speed runs. Well, except you're not claiming 2.4 Ghz will catch fire and burn the house/car/whatever down.
There's nothing wrong with 2.4, but aside from the shorter antenna it really doesn't offer any tangible advantages over FM in ThunderbirdJunkie's mind. If it did, he'd be running it.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to do a range test on my tactic 2.4ghz as i was bashing with a friend and his spektrum would go out of range but the tactic would just keep going.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 PM
yotaman1991

look on page 45 of january issue of rc driver magazine. 2.4 for $ 16.59!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

a good 2.4 system means you dont have to tell anyone what Freq you are running at. Keep it nice and easy.
Also I have found them to be less glitchy but an FM radio is good enough.
My futaba 3PM 2.4 has served me very well.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 PM
downunderdog

In another recent post [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10112236]here[/link], ThunderbirdJunkie said that ThunderbirdJunkie thought that "Reliability and ease of service (of FM systems... apparently) outweigh the advantages that 2.4 has." Downunderdog took that to mean that ThunderbirdJunkie's research into the subject had indicated that there were some reliability or ease of service negatives associated with 2.4Gig. Has ThunderbirdJunkie changed ThunderbirdJunkie's thoughts on that subject, or did Downunderdog misinterpret the previous position of ThunderbirdJunkie?

Aren't the short antenna and the lack of frequency conflict benefits enough to make 2.4 Gig a no brainer?

Man, Downunderdog has got to start using pronouns!

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

There's nothing wrong with 2.4, but aside from the shorter antenna it really doesn't offer any tangible advantages over FM in ThunderbirdJunkie's mind. If it did, he'd be running it.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:35 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Why are you so mad, downunderdog?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 AM
downunderdog

Why does ThunderbirdJunkie think Downunderdog is mad? Downunderdog is confused as to why ThunderbirdJunkie makes statements that are similar to "Other than the benefits of it, there aren't really any benefits to it. And the other system that is worse is better." Downunderdog is just trying to understand ThunderbirdJunkie's point, but so far ThunderbirdJunkie has offered very little in the way of clarification, other than obfuscation, which hasn't helped and only makes Downunderdog curious and inquisitive.

Apologies if Downunderdog sounds angry. Downunderdog is just seeking clarification of the statements that ThunderbirdJunkie has made about ThunderbirdJunkie's research into the subject... which is starting to sound less and less like what Downunderdog considers to be objective research.

Edit: Dang, this lack of use of pronouns thing is tough!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.