Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What will be the next major improvement in the RC Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Default RE: What will be the next major improvement in the RC Hobby

next big progression is going to have to be chassis, suspension and tire based.  the modern brushless and lipo set ups are over the limit of what most chassis on the market can handle.  something is going to have to be done to make the these things more stable and controllable

and replacing 2 stoke nitro engines with 4 stroke gas engines with fuel injection and changeable cams and what not wouldn't hurt the exhaust spewing side of things
Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to second Dale's fuel injection/throttle-by-wire for nitros.

Only question is, should we still have a brake servo? or a throttle/brake servo and allow the throttle to be operated on its own?

OS has already done the fuel injection thing on airplanes. It's really just a matter of time.

For electric...it's gonna be a while. It's just going to be more and more refined until it plateaus like it did with brushed/nimh stuff, then something snazzy and new will come about.

Maybe a brushed 3 phase electric motor? Or even 2 phase brushless?

ORIGINAL: worldmodelsmach1

I'd like an engine with a starter motor that is super lightweight and almost invisible... No more getting bitten by that damn prop.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Telemetry for Aircraft...err...Hitec Aurora 9...but wait...voice Telemetry announcing your onboard voltages, fuel levels, rpm, temps, etc...

It's coming from Hitec...Futaba and JR can play catch up now...AGAIN...!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:55 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

I would like to see a kero Turbofan...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Lower prices.

Until that happens, RC vehicles will stay out of reach of many people.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ithink there should be improvements in drive train, shaft drive: tough as nails but torque steer, belt drive:no torque steer but replacing belts is so annoying

Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 AM
4goodbuys2

Bodies made from stronger matierial, would help alot with short course bodies.

belted tires , I will never buy a tire again that is not belted.

Also like chuck said , prices need to decrease companys like traxxas are getting outrageous and their pushing the price of the whole industry up,
and rc tires should be under 10 bucks a pair.

And maybe pressurized gas shock , not sure if they could be made on a small scale.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 AM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Only question is, should we still have a brake servo? or a throttle/brake servo and allow the throttle to be operated on its own?

OS has already done the fuel injection thing on airplanes. It's really just a matter of time.

For electric...it's gonna be a while. It's just going to be more and more refined until it plateaus like it did with brushed/nimh stuff, then something snazzy and new will come about.

I'd like an engine with a starter motor that is super lightweight and almost invisible... No more getting bitten by that damn prop.
There is no point in going drive by wire for rc use. auto manufacturers did it for cost savings as drive by wire eliminated the need for a separate cruise contol module, and the need for an iac motor. by going drive by wire they were able to combine cruise, iac, and throttle plate actuation all into one system, saving money and time. rc do not use cruise control, do not have iac motors and will not for a long time, actually they never will. we are witnessing the demise of the nitro age.....like or not they are going the way of the dinosaurs......i know i dont like it!-scott
Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
yoyo5

more ThunderbirdJunkies
Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to see altitude, distance and airspeed read-outs incorporated into the transmitter.

A Chinese manufacturer already has a "live view" from a camera that's mounted in the airplane, but that's $1,000 right now. This innovation requires you to wear a large and geeky pair of headset glasses.

Maybe if that can be incorporated into a heads-up display that can be seen on a pair of sunglasses. That would be great!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
hyflyer9

I believe that Nitro engines have not reached their apex yet they can still improve a lot of things on them as well as coming up with some very small conversion kits so they can be converted to gas specially so for the smaller engines . and also get the weight's down.

Also they could Find a way to make all the hobby supplies less expensive so that all people can afford them . I have found that Over the past 15 years or so that every person that asks me just how much my planes and engines and retracts and such cost they all expected me to say that they are really expensive but when they found out that that's not the case they still said that it;s still to much to pay .
well thats my two cents worth any way.
Cheers
hyflyer9.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:34 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: steed2

There is no point in going drive by wire for rc use. auto manufacturers did it for cost savings as drive by wire eliminated the need for a separate cruise contol module, and the need for an iac motor. by going drive by wire they were able to combine cruise, iac, and throttle plate actuation all into one system, saving money and time. rc do not use cruise control, do not have iac motors and will not for a long time, actually they never will. we are witnessing the demise of the nitro age.....like or not they are going the way of the dinosaurs......i know i dont like it!-scott
There is actually a great lot of point of throttle by wire for a nitro RC. It eliminates the need for a throttle servo/linkage on an airplane, and eliminates the throttle linkage from the throttle/brake servo on a car, preventing A: runaways from a linkage vibrating loose, and B: the ability to set brakes up without compromising for or against throttle travel, which some people have problems doing.

There are probably more pros, and honestly can't think of any cons.

Throttle by wire in real cars was a bad thing, but in RC it could be a very good thing
Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 PM
steed2-inactive

how was it a bad thing in real cars? linkages coming loose?? setting up a servo??.hmmm starting to think you just like to dissagree with me..... anywho you already have drive by wire, just find a way to mount your servo horn directly to your carburator. or pm me and i could show you how to use an allen key so your linkages stop coming loose! oh and explain how it was bad in real cars
Old 11-12-2010, 04:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Have you priced out a modern car's throttle body when the servo in it dies?

Pretty expensive, bro.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

I'd like to see altitude, distance and airspeed read-outs incorporated into the transmitter.

A Chinese manufacturer already has a ''live view'' from a camera that's mounted in the airplane, but that's $1,000 right now. This innovation requires you to wear a large and geeky pair of headset glasses.

Maybe if that can be incorporated into a heads-up display that can be seen on a pair of sunglasses. That would be great!
The Hitec Aurora 9 has all of that information viewable on the large 5.1" Backlit Screen, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3654

AND they announced the HTS-Navi add on that you wear an earpiece, and it announces the telemetry information in your ear piece without you having to take your eyes off of the airplane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_85...m.htm#10091356

In my opinion Futaba, and JR are way behind in this race...
Old 11-12-2010, 06:33 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Cool place to have a plane radio discussion. Too bad we don't have a place for that.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would like a sound emulator for an onroad so badly, imagine you can link it to your pc and control when you want the turbo sound to kickin and shifting and the lot

Old 11-12-2010, 07:08 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha
sound emulator for an onroad
They have 'em
Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM
yoyo5

LOL

They have 'em
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have 'em
and they work damn well
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 PM
steed2-inactive

They have 'em
Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 PM
stampedevxl

[*]Stronger Bodies[*]Cheaper and better tires, $20 a pair is ridiculous!!! Real industrial full-size cars have each tire for $40 sometimes, thats a waaay longer life and waaaay cheaper than what you get with the r/c stuff, especially those baja tires going for $80 from pro-line, idiots....[*]Make it easier for people to get into the hobby, I remember when I was trying to choose my first battery and charger, soo confusing.[*]But overall, dual-purpose cars, I would like to see cars that can do more than 1 thing, almost like the Summit, but not quite.[*]And most importantly CHEAPER PRICES, r/c is so expensive these days, its ridiculous.[/list]
Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 PM
stampedevxl

Also, and IDK if it's already been mentioned but a quiter nitro for neighborhood bashers.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: stampedevxl

[*]Stronger Bodies[*]Cheaper and better tires, $20 a pair is ridiculous!!! Real industrial full-size cars have each tire for $40 sometimes, thats a waaay longer life and waaaay cheaper than what you get with the r/c stuff, especially those baja tires going for $80 from pro-line, idiots....[*]Make it easier for people to get into the hobby, I remember when I was trying to choose my first battery and charger, soo confusing.[*]But overall, dual-purpose cars, I would like to see cars that can do more than 1 thing, almost like the Summit, but not quite.[*]And most importantly CHEAPER PRICES, r/c is so expensive these days, its ridiculous.[/list]
$20 per tire, for something that is designed for all-out performance, made in the US, and made well is not bad at all, considering those $40/ea 1:1 car tires are 100% complete pure crap with poor performance, poor tread life, poor wet traction, etc etc...

Dual purpose cars?

Like...huh?

So, on road and off road?

Like this?

Anybody complaining about the prices of RC should probably find a less expensive hobby.

Back in the 1990s, ThunderbirdJunkie got an RC10B2 ($140?) a Tekin ESC ($120?) and 3 motors to suit different tracks ($35 a pop) along with spare motor bearings, a bearing set for the car ($25), servo ($30ish), a receiver ($50ish), and a couple sets of tires ($20/pair for tires, $6/pr for wheels) and that's not even counting the upgrades he made to the car. And batteries? HA, let's forget the 6 or 7 packs ThunderbirdJunkie bought...that weren't even assembled. Oh, and the $100 charger.

Now, you can buy an FT RC10B4.1 ($210), a motor and ESC combo that will keep you up front for $100 or so for something genuinely GOOD, a servo for 35 bones, a charger for 25-50 bucks, and a couple $20 batteries and need to buy very little else.

If you think this hobby is too expensive, you really need to get your priorities checked. This is the cheapest it's ever been, thanks to the selling out of our countrymen and our government regulating the United States out of manufacturing relevance...but that's a topic for another conversation.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 PM
rmoss94

getting rid of electrics and making more .40-.60 size kits not ARF's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.